Plastic Speedster For Sale $40K

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Tom Manson
356 Fan

Plastic Speedster For Sale $40K

#1 Post by Tom Manson »

Seems like a lot for a replicar! Car is for sale at http://wheelsbyrt.net/. I looked at it yesterday and it is pretty decent, for a kit car. It has air which I thought was weird, it supposedly came from AZ. The dealer (or maybe it was just the salesman) doesn't know squat about the car, he thought it was water cooled. It has front disk/rear drum. The seats look nice but when I sat in it I felt like I was sitting on the seat rather than in it. I did not see any badging indicating who built it. The rear license plate something like Arizona Historic Vehicle, I said to myself "yeah, right".
Tom Manson - Rockford - IL

Terry Nuckels
356 Fan

#2 Post by Terry Nuckels »

That replica is made by Vintage Speedsters in California.
You can have one built by the manufacturer for considerably less than 40k.
It's considered an entry level product in the speedster replica market.
The seats in it are from a 914 that have had the headrest cut off.

Mike Zois
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Zois »

Yeah, even in fakes there is a heirarchy. :wink:

The biggest issue is registration. Some states will give you an automatic pass on smog for a "homebuilt" replica. Others make you register it as a new car and comply with the smog laws of 2008. Meaning ALL the smog equipment for that motor must meet 2008 Federal standards. That's why you see Shelby Cobra's with injected modern engines with Cats.

CA for example will give 500 exemptions in a calendar year...for the whole State. The are gone by 8:30 am on January 2nd. Here's where a carbed Shelby replica can be done.

Do your homework on ANY replica, whether it's a Beck or a shortened VW with a fiberglass body. I don't know if one that's been done i one state can be legally registerd in another....

Beck who has the best name in replicas will only sell you a body without a drive train....they are making a beautiful midengine 904. $50K....no motor, no trans.....no title either. Essentially it's an unfinished project that the buyer needs to complete and junp thru registration or just use it on the track....
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
58 A Coupe, searching for parts
70 914/6 under restoration
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV

John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: Plastic Speedster For Sale $40K

#4 Post by John Clarke »