Steering Coupler

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Steering Coupler

#31 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Al Zim wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm Harlan: the way you have mounted your coupler makes it very inflexible! If you do NOT have perfect alignment gradually you will accelerate the wear on the worm gear and the pin.
Wes: The ground strap is a woven band of thin copper wire. It is extremely flexible! If the Rubber connector fails the copper strap will be of no assistance for you since it is only mounted on two of the bolts. Even if you had two(2) ground straps you would still be in a precarious situation. al
Al,
Nuts! It's just like the A, no more no less. :D
Last edited by Harlan Halsey on Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#32 Post by Al Zim »

HARLAN: To the best of my knowledge we have never installed a NON PORSCHE (VW) steering coupler! It would be FOOLSIH of ZIMZ to install a part on a car that might (could) cause an injury. Al Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#33 Post by Marcus van Bers »

So I am back from holidays and have a replacement steering coupler on order. I decided to go with Precision Matters replacement. Is this a simple swap? I couldn't find a write up except to someone wrote it was an easy project. Do I need to measure or mark anything to make sure the replacement uses up the same amount of longitudinal space? I don't have to lift the front end? Now that I have seen the condition of my existing coupler I am hesitant to drive the car. Thanks.
63 B Karmann Coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#34 Post by David Jones »

Install it as it is shipped. Should be a direct swap.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#35 Post by Marcus van Bers »

David Jones wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm Install it as it is shipped. Should be a direct swap.
Thanks David. Exactly the info I was looking for.
63 B Karmann Coupe