Paint project on vin 158304 1963 Porsche Cabriolet press car

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Paint project on vin 158304 1963 Porsche Cabriolet press car

#106 Post by Martin Benade »

This is a project, but can get the grilles fitting nicely. You’d have to take them apart as the slats are in the way. With the shrinker tool of this pair you can curve the outer frame as needed, a little at a time. It will probably mar the finish a bit down inside, but the most visible top surface will stay nice, unless it is anodized in which case it will show micro cracking of the surface. Once you get the frame nice, you’ll need to curve at least a few of the outermost slats to match.

Maybe your restoration shop has this tool and would either let you use it, or spend the hours to do it and bill you. I believe this is the only way to correct the fit, and should work as long as the tool can get sufficiently close to the corners.

I see me and Justin were writing the same idea at the same time.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Rudy Rodriguez-Duret
356 Fan
Instagram: @the.car.museum

#107 Post by Rudy Rodriguez-Duret »

Justin,

Curve the runs would be the best way, i was told that it wasn't possible to curve the grill more. I like your shrinker jaws concept. We have a great metal shop not to far that has one. If that doesn't work, then sandblast, metal work and repaint. Martins idea actually helped it significantly, not perfect like i would like it, but defensively not as noticeable at 5ft away. Should be good enough for a 4th of July event I want to take it to.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#108 Post by Martin Benade »

I really don’t think the lid is the problem, and it would look funny if you made it fit the grilles.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Rudy Rodriguez-Duret
356 Fan

#109 Post by Rudy Rodriguez-Duret »

Martin,

Originally I thought maybe the lid had been improperly repaired or replaced in the 1970's color change, yesterday I did a very detailed inspection and there is no sign of any repairs. I was able to find a shop with a shrinker machine. Will keep you posted. Looks like they have a few weeks of lead time, but based on the pictures I sent feel confident they can bend the grille enough to fix properly. Also found a few shrinker's on EBay for around $200, but they don't carry the right fitting for the job, plan B could be a DIY project.

Rudy Rodriguez-Duret
356 Fan

#110 Post by Rudy Rodriguez-Duret »

Does anyone know a good electric guy in South Florida? Trying to finish the car by the 4th of July and need someone that can connect the gauges.

Rudy Rodriguez-Duret
356 Fan

#111 Post by Rudy Rodriguez-Duret »

Guys does anyone know of a DIY video for installing the rugs, I assume there is a trick to get the side carpet to mold correctly. The rug kit is from Autos International. When i place the new rug next to the original the new mold is exact, so it's not the rug.
Attachments
IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5156.jpeg