New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Bill Lawless
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#481 Post by Bill Lawless »

Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

C J Murray
356 Fan

#482 Post by C J Murray »

Bill Lawless wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:37 pm And on a different note:
Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 4.35.25 PM.png

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a4 ... content=EN
I hope Porsche doesn't waste too much money on the EV dead end. The dreams of a substantial market for EVs is collapsing. A small number of believers will buy EVs but reality will keep their numbers small.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#483 Post by Harlan Halsey »

A few years ago I went on the Tesla factory tour. We drove the Lexus LS430 over to Fremont. Yesterday we rode to our group lunch in a Tesla Model X. The Tesla Model S I drove was an excellent car in most respects: acceleration, handing, and ride. The all-aluminum construction is a big plus for this old car enthusiast. The interior is sports car like, much less room than the Lexus. The ride, either firmer or softer depending on the setting. And the vinyl interior, while weight saving, is rather cheap feeling. In my opinion, Lexus should have focused on improving the interior rather than proliferating body styles. The Tesla Model X we went to lunch in is solar charged at either of the homes of the owner. My wife and I could accomplish all of our car travel easily within the 250-mile range, charging at home over night. For longer trips we fly. What's not to like?
I don't like the government involving itself in my car choice, and I doubt that electric cars are going to displace gas and diesel cars overnight. But there is a place for them even absent public recharging stations. I think there will be businesses customizing the thousands of Tesla's as they age. Hopefully, modernizing the battery as new batteries and voltages develop, and customizing the interiors.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#484 Post by Bill Lawless »

I think Taycan winning EV of the year is just saying when they put there mind to it they can make things happen..
They just need to do a lot more thinking about Battery technology...
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#485 Post by Martin Benade »

To me, charging availability is what’s going to take some time, but I think it all will happen. But as long as they don’t come with a clutch pedal, I’ll never own one. But I won’t have too. I should be able to buy gasoline for my remaining 25 (or less) years.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#486 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:33 am To me, charging availability is what’s going to take some time, but I think it all will happen. But as long as they don’t come with a clutch pedal, I’ll never own one. But I won’t have too. I should be able to buy gasoline for my remaining 25 (or less) years.
I see two religions here, "EVs are inevitable" and "real cars have clutch pedals". By religion I mean beliefs based at least as much on faith as on reality. Only certain points can be proven true while others are just predictions or uneducated inexperienced assumptions.

EVs may very well take over the market but there is no reason to think that based on current reality. The primary road block is commercial viability. Only Tesla has been able to make a profit building and selling EVs while boutique brands have failed and major traditional brands loose huge amounts of money on every EV while subsidizing the EV losses with ICE profits. This means that not only does the taxpayer subsidize this bad behavior but also the ICE buyers pay for the EV losses. EVs will only succeed when consumers demand them and currently there are no solutions to the consumer objections.

As I write this the TV news reports that the EPA has just enacted a 65mpg average requirement for manufacturers. Oppressive bureaucrats never sleep.

Another common religion is the demand for a clutch pedal. Many motorheads seem to think that a DCT transmission like Porsche's PDK is barely better than a 1960's GM 2-speed Powerglide for spirited driving. The opposite is actually true. The misconception has been going on since Ferrari introduced the F1 transmissions in the late 1990's. If you are in that camp you should go to the Porsche dealership and test drive one. They are vastly superior to the clutch equipped cars in every way.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#487 Post by Brian R Adams »

C J Murray wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:24 am As I write this the TV news reports that the EPA has just enacted a 65mpg average requirement for manufacturers.
Are you sure about that, Cliff? Politico.com wrote 22 hours ago:

"The Biden administration on Friday backed off its proposal for a dramatic rise in fuel economy requirements for SUVs and pickup trucks ... The new Department of Transportation rule still calls for passenger vehicles to get more miles from each gallon of gasoline — but the improvements for the industry’s popular gas-guzzlers will be significantly less than the department had proposed a year ago. ... all light-duty vehicles overall must meet an average of 50.4 mpg in 2031, down from 55.7 mpg in last year’s proposal. The current average is 39.1 mpg. For SUVs and pickups, the requirement will be 45 mpg. That’s up from the 35.2 mpg they average now, but it’s less than the 52.2 mpg that the agency had proposed last year."

Still, meeting an average of 50.4 mpg by 2031 is draconian and will never happen, EPA threats notwithstanding.

Edit: I do find this today, Cliff, in the New Yawk Times:

The new standards require American automakers to increase fuel economy so that, across their product lines, their passenger cars would average 65 miles per gallon by 2031, up from 48.7 miles today.

"Only" a 33% increase. That of course will also never happen by 2031, a scant seven years hence.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#488 Post by C J Murray »

Brian, typical government nitwits. They have never made anything and their minds are full of ideas that can't happen but which make them feel good about themselves as the saviors of mankind. Practical, viable solutions to solving important problems for mankind are developed and proven by dedicated hands of genius minds. Government solutions are limited to 6 foot separations and wearing 3 porous masks.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#489 Post by Martin Benade »

I know that having a clutch pedal is no longer the highest-performance way to make a car, but for driving on the street I don’t have to have the best, I just like shifting gears.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#490 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:22 pm I know that having a clutch pedal is no longer the highest-performance way to make a car, but for driving on the street I don’t have to have the best, I just like shifting gears.
All my vehicles have manual shift, but at my age I can see the wisdom of having an automatic on hand in case of a disability (even temporarily) preventing driving a manual.
-

C J Murray
356 Fan

#491 Post by C J Murray »

There is nothing wrong with the traditional manual with clutch pedal but many car guys don't seem to understand that the PDK and F1 are the same transmission but equipped with high pressure hydraulic shifting and clutch operation. They do have a mode that allows the computer to select those gears and therefore eliminate the driver doing anything, totally automatic but it still has the feel of a manual transmission type shift. There is no torque converter or planetary gears or friction bands. When I drive the PDK I shift up and down "manually" except that I am spared pushing in a clutch pedal. The quickness of the shifts is amazing both up and down.

Today with traditional automatics having 8 or 9 speeds even my wife's SUV has a trick transmission.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#492 Post by Martin Benade »

The PDK is not an ordinary manual as it has two clutches and releases the clutch for one gear as it engages the clutch for the next gear. This can happen faster than an automated old style transmission. They aren’t particularly reliable but they do function very well. Just not to my tastes.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#493 Post by Harlan Halsey »

For many years I towed my race car to Laguna Seca and back with a stick shift car or truck. Then I maneuvered around Carmel or Monterey in the evenings. The homecoming traffic on Sunday night gradually got denser to the point that there was more than an hour of stop and go. About 10 years ago I decided, no more stick shifts for me going to Lagna Seca. Our tow truck has an automatic, and I sold the stick BMW and drive an automatic car to the track these days. The same is true for me on the freeways, I don't take a 356 if a trip involves mostly freeway driving. Unfortunately our house is not well oriented for roof solar. If it were, I'd be driving on sun power except when I want to drive a 356.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#494 Post by Mark Roth »

Not exactly on this topic but related.
viewtopic.php?t=57792
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#495 Post by Brian R Adams »

From SeekingAlpha:

In a big win for Elon Musk, Tesla's (TSLA) shareholders look set to approve his disputed $56B CEO pay package as well as the electric vehicle maker's reincorporation to Texas from Delaware. The massive 2018 compensation plan had been an overhang on Tesla's shares for months after it was voided by a Delaware judge in January, who called it "an unfathomable sum."

Her Honor lacks imagination, also foresight. I wonder how Delaware looks in the rear-view mirror?
-