New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#421 Post by Wes Bender »

A lawsuit claims a Porshe EV fire sank the Felicity Ace.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#422 Post by David Lawrence »

David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#423 Post by C J Murray »

I think that if a friend would own one of those and wanted to visit me I would have them park it in a shopping center and I would shuttle them to my house.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#424 Post by Chris Davis »

I would think this group would be a little more accepting of new/different transportation technology considering all the innovations the 356 brought to the motoring public back in the day.

My first car (’63 VW bug) was based on an earlier Porsche design. At 16 years old, I was just happy to have my own car, but I did have to endure the constant ribbing from classmates who drove "real" cars and pickup trucks.

"The VW is a deathtrap, too small. It’s also a backward design that sets the engine and all the weight in the rear (where it's just waiting to pendulum spin the car on a wet corner) and the gas tank up front where it will certainly explode in even the smallest of fender benders. Air cooled engine? That's for lawn mowers... water cooled is much more efficient.”

I thought my little VW was actually rather amazing engineering, with great fuel economy (important to the self-funded 16 year old car owner) and surprisingly agile and predicable handling in the wet and snow.

I’m not saying we have to all run out and buy electric cars but I’m willing to give credit were it’s due. Plug-In hybrids are probably the better interim step, but there are some great efficiencies to found with the EV architecture. And I don’t think they are really any more dangerous than hauling around 15 to 20 gallons of highly flammable gasoline. (Or highly compressed hydrogen gas.)

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#425 Post by Wes Bender »

So, are you putting an IC engine in your restoration? If so, you just answered your own question. Vic's comment is the key. The energy has to come from somewhere. How clean is that somewhere?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#426 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wes Bender wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:38 pm So, are you putting an IC engine in your restoration? If so, you just answered your own question. Vic's comment is the key. The energy has to come from somewhere. How clean is that somewhere?
+1

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#427 Post by Harlan Halsey »

If it were a nuclear power plant, a is the case in France, the source would be very clean. (In a few years we will be able to shoot nuclear waste into the sun if we wish.)

Certainly, the current US Government push for EVs is ridiculous. Like the high-speed rail line California is building from nowhere to nowhere in the Central Valley.

My son -in-law's early Tesla Model 3 is very similar to the 4 cylinder turbocharged BMW diesel I currently drive, in size, weight, and performance, but without the complexity of an IC engine and 8-speed automatic transmission. And so far, I can charge it overnight at home. These are appliances, not fun cars.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#428 Post by Adam Wright »

I sold my Chevy Silverado last year and bought a Honda Ridgeline, I'm guessing it will probably be my last gas purchase in terms of an everyday car. When it wears out in 10-15 years it will be EV City. Here is how I usually talk to people when they bring up all the deficits of EV tech and infrastructure at present. When gas engines hit the market it was probably hard to find gas stations and the cars were very expensive, etc. You probably had legions of guys saying, "Why would I pay for a car when I can feed my horse oats, my horse is as fast as your car, etc." There was a transition period there where horses were probably still a better deal. But technology eventually outpaces the old and the infrastructure will catch up both in terms of charging stations as well as the power to charge all those cars. I will miss the gas engines and probably loath the soulless EV's, but by then I'll be an old man waving my cane at the sky, the world will have moved on past me and my opinions.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#429 Post by Chris Davis »

Wes – IC... based on authenticity, weight, and use case. That said, in the not to distant future you may be able to install a small 150hp electric motor powered by solid state batteries, with the entire package being lighter than the air-cooled IC. You could engineer clutch/shift points and a soundtrack to keep most of the original feel/driving experience, then tuck your number matching IC engine away for your grandkids to auction off with the car at some future date. Heresy, I know... but if gasoline gets scarce, we might be forced to adapt.

Vic - Agreed... just because the car is electric doesn't mean the charging source was "clean" but in most cases, whatever the utility scale power generation method used is cleaner per HP/Watt/Mile than the individual vehicle running on IC... And there are more clean power options coming on line. Harlan makes an excellent point that we could do quite a lot with nuclear if the political will was there. I also agree that (outside some impressive straight line acceleration) most EVs are soulless appliances, but that’s true for many IC cars produced these days. Seems like the majority of drivers are just looking for a safe/comfortable place to sit in traffic.

I like how Adam summed it up and I have shifted my daily driver to plug-in hybrid... but I will try my hardest to keep internal combustion as the authentic power source in my collectable vehicles as long as possible. I likewise, will miss it when it’s gone. (Hopefully, California's classic car survey doesn't hasten its demise.)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#430 Post by Brian R Adams »

Adam Wright wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:17 am I sold my Chevy Silverado last year and bought a Honda Ridgeline, I'm guessing it will probably be my last gas purchase in terms of an everyday car. When it wears out in 10-15 years it will be EV City.
No it won't. EV's (not hybrids) will not even comprise 25% of all new passenger vehicle sales in the US in 15 years. Bet me on that?
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#431 Post by Adam Wright »

Brian R Adams wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:23 pm
Adam Wright wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:17 am I sold my Chevy Silverado last year and bought a Honda Ridgeline, I'm guessing it will probably be my last gas purchase in terms of an everyday car. When it wears out in 10-15 years it will be EV City.
No it won't. EV's (not hybrids) will not even comprise 25% of all new passenger vehicle sales in the US in 15 years. Bet me on that?
-
They are projecting 50/50 by 2038. That might be optimistic, but 25% seems very plausible.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#432 Post by Brian R Adams »

Adam Wright wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:47 pm They are projecting 50/50 by 2038. That might be optimistic, but 25% seems very plausible.
Like candy from a baby. And that'd be unsporting of me.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#433 Post by Bill Lawless »

As far as energy goes:
Why did people move to LED lighting, more efficient, it takes far less energy for the same output.
That's why the move to EV, electric motors are far more efficient than ICE motor.

"Electric motors also work much more efficiently than internal combustion engines. This means that 80% of electrical energy can be converted into propulsion, whilst only 20% is lost as heat. With a internal combustion engine, on the other hand, only about 25% of the energy generated can be used for propulsion.Feb 1, 2022 "

Plus, as far as generation Electric energy there are a lot of clean options, Wind, Hydro, solar etc. And yes some not so clean ones which are slowly going away..

On another note I was thinking about making an EV out of a 914.. They sell kits that bolt to the transaxle so you would still have that CLUTCH, just sound a bit different!!!

That being said, I took my ICE 356 for it's first springtime drive yesterday,, yeah!!!
Last edited by Bill Lawless on Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#434 Post by Martin Benade »

I think upstream of the EV are several more efficiency percentages. Converting fossil fuel to electricity, and transmission losses both cut into that 80% number although I’m too lazy to look for legit numbers, but it may be a lot.

I still expect EVs to eventually take over, and might even be a good thing by the time it’s all fully developed. In the mean time, I like them best for other people.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#435 Post by Bill Lawless »

Very true, But an Apples to Apple you would have to add in Refineries, trucking around fuel... And how the end product affects our environment, All way above my pay grade, I'm retired so that's not hard to do... Plus no conversions on Solar wind etc.. There are currently entire cities, like Burlington Vt. that claim to be a Net-Zero city, No Fossil fuels!!
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350