New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#406 Post by C J Murray »

In the news recently is the additional pollution caused by the massive weight of EVs.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... akes-tyres

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/el ... r-BB1jmXsg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#407 Post by Brian R Adams »

"EVs are on average 30% heavier" than equivalent conventional cars. Wow.

"The most popular EV in the US, Tesla’s Model Y, boasts a lithium-ion battery that weighs in at a hefty 1,836 pounds."

Ok, so the battery weighs nearly what my entire 356 weighs.

EVs are cited by EPA and California as "zero emissions". Even if they said "zero carbon [sic] emissions" they'd still be wrong, but essentially they're waiving off all the other bad emissions affecting the population's health, focusing strictly on (they reckon) altering global climate.

Not mentioned: EV-specific tires cost 20-30% more than conventional tires. Anecdotal evidence suggests in the real world (vs manufacturer's claims) they also wear out much sooner than conventional tires.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#408 Post by Bill Lawless »

When you read through that whole article the final Verdict says the tire pollution is not much different between them..

"But even so, tyre pollution appears roughly comparable between petrol, diesel and electric cars. The other benefits of switching to electric cars – most notably lower carbon pollution – are huge."

I'm a bit back and forth, EV vs. Not-EV... I'm a retired Electrical Engineer, so the topic is interests me anyway.. But one thing to note is battery technology is advancing quite rapidly and the weight issue will not be an "Issue" in the not so distant future.

Interesting note, Porsche made one of the first EV in 1898:
Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 8.55.06 AM.png
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#409 Post by Martin Benade »

I’m just watching from the sidelines. Although I think EVs are coming, I couldn’t possibly afford one. And I have zero interest in any vehicle with no clutch pedal.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#410 Post by Bill Lawless »

I hear ya Martin, If I got one it would probably be for my wife to drive around town...
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#411 Post by Wes Bender »

+1 Martin. In 72 years of driving, I've owned 26 cars and only 2 of them didn't have a clutch pedal.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#412 Post by Martin Benade »

My mother bought her first automatic car at 91, and then rather than adjust to it, stopped driving.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#413 Post by Wes Bender »

When I first got my license, if you took the driver's test in an automatic shift they restricted your license. (CA in '52)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#414 Post by Martin Benade »

Wes, I don’t recall that, but I was -1 then.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#415 Post by Brian R Adams »

Bill Lawless wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:58 am "... tyre pollution appears roughly comparable "
There's three squishy terms in that one [ahem] definitive statement. :roll:
-

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#416 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have to keep reminding people that batteries do not CREATE electricity; they STORE it. Where does it come from?

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#417 Post by Brian R Adams »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:21 am I have to keep reminding people that batteries do not CREATE electricity; they STORE it. Where does it come from?
And how efficient is a battery as energy storage? Answer: Nearly the least efficient available. Fossil fuel is an energy store in and of itself. The creators of this graphic chose to omit fossil fuel, oddly enough, but it would be to upper-right far past the boundary of this graph:
-
storage_technologies.jpg
-

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#418 Post by Martin Benade »

Hydrogen I think can be used as a form of storage of some of the energy used to create it,and the other items to the left on the chart are all “refillable” storage methods. Methane and fossil fuel are storage, but not refillable.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#419 Post by Greg Bryan »

I drove a hydrogen fuel cell car for a while and I was very impressed with it. The car I drove has a fuel cell making electricity and a Prius size lithium-ion battery for short high-demand bursts of speed. The disadvantage, of course, is that there are very few hydrogen filling stations although that may change as hydrogen fuel cells are being developed for class 8 semis with 4 or 5 well-funded, on-going programs in the US alone. Battery electric semis make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
It takes about 5 minutes to refill the tank on a hydrogen fuel cell similar to filling up at a gas station. The gas is compressed to about 10,000 psi. With two tanks about the size of a 25 gallon air compressor tank, range was over 300 miles, also similar to a regular gas car.
The disadvantages of a hydrogen car is, first, the lack of infrastructure, two, the images of the Hindenburg (oh, the humanity) and, three, the formation of hydrogen which can be energy intensive - also, I think they are less effective in freezing temps as the exhaust is pure water, but that is taken into consideration in the current fuel cell cars, but at the expense of range, no doubt.
If a fusion reactor ever becomes a reality, we'll all be driving hydrogen cars. But, since they have been working on that problem my entire adult life, I'm losing confidence in it being a reality in my lifetime (or before my kids take away the keys to my cars).
Hydrogen can also be used in a modified IC engine, but I know little or nothing of the technology.
What really makes sense as an interim technology is a plug-in hybrids - 80% of the advantages of an electric car with 80% less resources to manufacture, no range anxiety, and can effectively be charged overnight on a 120v circuit. And you're not lugging around a 1500lb battery everywhere you go.
Greg Bryan

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#420 Post by Mark Roth »

Did anyone see the video of the truck on fire that exploded in California injuring or killing some firefighters? Two 100 gallon compressed natural gas fuel tanks. Hydrogen vehicles? At least EVs don’t explode!
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)