84832 '58 Speedster strip down pre paint.

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Re: 84832 '58 Speedster strip down pre paint.

#121 Post by Steve Raucher »

Another 356 Registry member has me thinking about replacing the wiring harness.
This would be the time to do it.
Can anyone shed any light to set my expectations regarding labor costs how many hours to do this etc?
Who can do this job in the Monterey CA area?
I have these old H4 headlight relays I want to remove. They sit behind the six volt battery. High and low beam under metal covers.
Touched them once and they arched and smoke appeared, I stepped away. It would suck if I had electrician go to remove them and possibly fry the electrical system after paint, undercoating and re assembly.
Any insight is appreciated.
Steve

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#122 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Steve,
You won't "fry" anything if the battery is disconnected. Headlight relays were common in the 1960s when 356s were daily drivers. The idea was to shorten the electrical power path from battery to headlight. To this end a thick, 12ga wire was run directly from the battery to the relays, one in each side of the tire well. From there, the power went through the original wire to the headlight. Usually, the new circuit was not fused. If done correctly the modification would brighten the headlight noticeably. Today a much better result can be obtained simply by substituting LED headlights in the original circuitry.
Whether to change the wiring harness depends on the condition of the existing one, because changing is not a trivial operation. There might be a days labor for two guys to remove and replace the harness, plus another day or two to connect the new harness at each end. And that's for someone who has replaced a 356 wire harness before. I think the new harness from Y n Zs is north of $1K.
However, you are correct, if the harness needs replacing and the workers can keep overspray off it, now is the time.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#123 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi Harlan,
Thanks for the clarity here as I tend to be a visual guy this helps.
I will keep the original wiring harness as everything works off it.
Seems to me if the relay covers are removed, disconnect the wires underneath and terminate. But I think the wires then are wrapped around the positive side of the battery connection, need to verify this but it will all have to be unwound etc. Hope this disconnect in no way affects the high or low beam of the LED's I am running throughout the car.
Regarding the old early Emory stinger pipe that was on 84832 for like forty years. Because the pipe angled slightly upwards, the rear bottom of the body was slightly folder in and upwards to accommodate it.
I had this body work corrected so will not use stinger anymore. Will really miss the sound, but not hitting my shins.
Maybe will hang it as wall art or try to move it on in the classifieds.
Take care,
Steve

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#124 Post by Steve Raucher »

Well after 303 hours of pre paint body work etc, 84832 is ready for new paint around mid May.
May get car back mid late June for re assembly.
Cheers.
Steve
Attachments
paintready.jpg

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#125 Post by Bill Sargent »

Steve - if you have photos of where the original harness was installed this is a job you could probably do yourself. It took me a day to remove the original harness in my 64C cab. I purchased a YnZ harness. It took a few days to install and I had lots of before photos, but it was not difficult - only tedious. The YnZ harness comes with number tags on every wire and a sheet that tells you where every wire goes.

30 years ago a YnZ harness was over $1K. I suspect they are $2 to $3K now.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#126 Post by Martin Benade »

That’s progress
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#127 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hey all,
Wet sanding all done car goes to paint next week.
You can see the past four colors this 356A has been, dark blue the past fifty years.
Steering column out you can see original beige color. Will go back to original similar color now.
Hope to get car back to me mid to late June for reassembly. Then new top to be installed.
May or may not be finished in time for Monterey car week we will see. A lot to do still.
KTF,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_3309.jpg
IMG_3310.jpg
columb paint.jpg
me and 84832.jpg

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#128 Post by Steve Raucher »

Four coats Ruby Red paint and four coats clear.
Curing now, then some under coating etc and reassembly.
Hope to get car back home by late June.
Steve
Attachments
paintpic1.jpg
paintpic2.jpg
paintpic3.jpg

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#129 Post by Chris Davis »

Looks amazing Steve!

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#130 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Steve,
Ruby red is my favorite color for a Speedster or a coupe or a roadster....But that car was blue with flared fenders and a Sebring type exhaust for the last 40 years! How are you going to find it in a parking lot or on the concourse field now?