Front Trunk Refurbishment T5 Coupe

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Re: Front Trunk Refurbishment T5 Coupe

#61 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Martin - the new harness is good - the picture I posted earlier is the rear harness routed from rear lights thru cabin tunnel - where it exits the tunnel is where the connectors are and that loom is bundled with the old front harness that goes through that narrow tunnel by floor that goes to fuse block.
Author / Photojournalist

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#62 Post by Greg Bryan »

Kenssmall.png
Kenssmall.png (197.23 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Ken - this looks pretty gruesome. Where do the wires go that have been spliced to the rear harness? Do they go to the fuse box?
Regardless, it looks like you could redo the spices and stagger them so they are not on the same plane - then it wouldn't look like the snake that ate the rat. I do have all the wires with the correct colors and tracers and some much smaller splice joints that can be covered with thinner shrink insulation.

Added by edit
To answer my own question, those wires go everywhere.
2 Light gray with red - from fuse box to tail and license lights
Blach/white - Ign switch #15 via fuse #1 to coil #15
Gray/ brown, fuse box #1 to back-up light switch
Black/yellow and black/red - turn signal switch to rear turn signals/brake lights
Large Black - from Ign sw #50 to starter #50
small blue - Combo Instrument Charge light to Voltage Reg #61
small Green - Combo Instrument Oil light to Oil pressure switch
small Green/Black - Combo Instrument Oil Temp to Oil temp sensor
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#63 Post by Greg Bryan »

Ken - I know the T5 harness has a different configuration than the T6, but electrically, they are the same. The harness diagrams that Bill Romano did some years ago might be helpful.
They are printed in the Registry Magazine.
Vol. 40-Issue 6 3-4/2017 Wiring Harnesses

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClu ... %2Fojcg%3D
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#64 Post by Martin Benade »

Greg, does this mean that the new front harness needs no splicing in, but that lots of the separate rear harness wires are in need of neater repairs?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#65 Post by Greg Bryan »

I think so although I haven’t worked on a T 5 coupe in 50 years

Added by edit
Except for the Black/yellow horn wires which go to the horn relay, and the front turn signal wires, all other front harness wires go to the fuse box. The front turn signals wires go to in-line connectors by the steering column then to the turn signal switch.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#66 Post by Greg Bryan »

Martin - no splices between the front harness and the rear harness
Greg Bryan

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#67 Post by Tom Perazzo »

Hi Ken,
I'd remove those splices and incorrect colored wires now. It will only make life harder when trying to troubleshoot or follow anyones wiring diagrams.
All the 356 harness plug and play with each other without soldering or crimp connectors, so don't be afraid to pull that butchered section out. You can use some lubricant to help remove the harness from the various holes in the car. I use Wire Aid from home depot.
Your choice is to repair the harness or replace it.
If you repair, stagger the repairs like Greg suggested. This keeps the diameter down and reduces the likihood of two repairs touching each other.
Do not use those insulated crimp connectors. I use open barrel crimps with Raychem heat shrink over them. Open barrel crimps with the Sargent tools ratcheting crimper is a motorsport grade solution. Here are the links below:
https://amzn.to/3qGrjG8
https://amzn.to/3QHcXjj
https://amzn.to/45FnYGd
If you don't want to invest in the tools, then you could solder the wires together, but be warned that the wires need to be bundled with strain relief so that the solder joints don't repeatedly flex and fail.
Once the wires are repaired you can cover them with PVC wire sleeving from McMaster Car.
Then reinstall the harness, check the lengths, and add the correct wire terminations. This is the method that I've done on multiple videos on my YouTube channel. If you need any specific links, just let me know. I also did a video where those pink and blue insulated crimps you have pictured in your car failed. (1989 Carrera power mirrors video)
If you decide to buy a new harness, check in with Greg or YnZ harness.
Hope that helps, I know it sounds daunting, but this is what I would do.

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#68 Post by Bill Sargent »

Depending on how much of a harness you need, purchase is a partial harness might be viable. Restoration Design makes partial harnesses. Give them a call.

I have a 67 912 that suffered an engine fire at some point. All wires in the engine compartment were the same color. RD sold me a partial harness from the starter on back. $450 delivered.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#69 Post by Greg Bryan »

Bill - good tip - I bought two removed 912 harnesses at swap meets and will use the wires there in to repair the harness in my Aug 65 912 project. As usual, it’s the ends that are bad out by the extremities - front and rear lights - mine has the not uncommon paint from a cheap respray were they didn’t bother to tape up the wires. We all love a challenge though …
Greg Bryan

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#70 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Made some good headway today, thanks to a forum friend who came over today. We removed the old front harness and did clip the wires where they'd been cobbled together (post #62) with non matching colors. We think a previous owner installed a non factory harness. Still a lot of work in front of me. Once we cut the loom t separate the rear and front harness, noticed a green wire was broken and some overheated wires need to be repaired but overall, pretty good condition.

Need to remove front left fender brace that horn and wires to headlight and horns feed. Very pleased the harness from Greg is going to be just great!
IMG_5266.jpg
Author / Photojournalist

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#71 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on the progress! My car had wiring issues as well: front and rear turn signals and under the dash. I replaced the entire harness when I restored it.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#72 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Thanks Mike - I have a friend who overhauls engines - he says the worst jobs are opening an engine case and undoing another persons mess.
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#73 Post by Ken Tuvman »

I’d removed front bumper and had it sandblasted- the nuts inside bumper bracket are loose - anyone have experience removing the brackets? For sure heat will be needed to remove brackets - can the nuts be re-welded back
in place or am I time ahead getting new ones?

To be clear, the nuts that attach to movable bracket are no longer attached to the plate

Thank you

Ken
IMG_5106.jpeg
IMG_5344.jpeg
Author / Photojournalist

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#74 Post by Martin Benade »

The nuts slide in tracks for vertical adjustment, it’s best to just replace the whole brackets in spite of them being a bit costly. They are spot welded in, not very hard to remove. Drill out the spot welds, and then you have the holes already to plug weld the new ones in. A pretty clean easy job.
Make sure you get fronts, not the pictured rear ones. $140 each.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#75 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:11 pm The nuts slide in tracks for vertical adjustment, it’s best to just replace the whole brackets in spite of them being a bit costly. They are spot welded in, not very hard to remove. Drill out the spot welds, and then you have the holes already to plug weld the new ones in. A pretty clean easy job.
Make sure you get fronts, not the pictured rear ones. $140 each.
Thanks MB
Author / Photojournalist