transmission tool kit by dee Engineering Bugpack

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Foster
356 Fan

transmission tool kit by dee Engineering Bugpack

#1 Post by Michael Foster »

IMG_1687.jpg
A while back I purchased a dee engineering bugpack products porsche 356 trans tool kit #15-4644. Was hoping someone on list is familiar with this product. It consists of 5 pieces. Can anyone detail what 5 parts are used for on trans.
Apparently one item apparently hold shift rails in alignment , and another looks like it fits splined mainshaft but can anyone tell me exactly what each piece is used for on trans assembly/disassembly? Below is picture
MICHAEL FOSTER

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

Re: transmission tool kit by dee Engineering Bugpack

#2 Post by Jon Bunin »

MICHAEL FOSTER wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:00 pmWas hoping someone on list is familiar with this product...
Michael, it appears to be a basic 356 shift fork adjustment kit, made by an aftermarket Volkswagen company.

The item with three holes aligns the shift rods, but if it's plastic it probably isn't too precise, based on similar 911 plastic alignment plates.
That's the only item that replicates a Porsche tool.

The splined piece helps spin the input shaft, while I suspect the T-shaped piece and screw help to test-shift the assembled transmission.
Those are similar to Volkswagen tools, but can be handy for a Porsche transmission.

The tube on the right I can't tell, but if it's hollow it might be for installing an input shaft oil seal.
If it's more than a simple hollow tube, then please describe what we don't see in your picture...
Jon Bunin

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#3 Post by Michael Foster »

“Michael, it appears to be a basic 356 shift fork adjustment kit, made by an aftermarket Volkswagen company. The item with three holes aligns the shift rods, but if it's plastic it probably isn't too precise, based on similar 911 plastic alignment plates. That's the only item that replicates a Porsche tool."

Jon, finally opened up package and item with three holes is plastic about 7/8” thick with one edge parallel to holes beveled

“The splined piece helps spin the input shaft, while I suspect the T-shaped piece and screw help to test-shift the assembled transmission. Those are similar to Volkswagen tools, but can be handy for aPorsche transmission”

The screw fits this piece and the end is pointed replicating set screw on shift rod so you are correct this piece can be used to shift transmission and splined piece fits mainshaft splines.

“The tube on the right I can't tell, but if it's hollow it might be for installing an input shaft oil seal.
If it's more than a simple hollow tube, then please describe what we don't see in your picture...”

This piece is hollow and otherwise unremarkable except for a dimple centered on bottom of the tube. Hole appears large enough to fit over mainshaft splines and push in mainshaft seal.
Thank you for information Jon!

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I haven’t gotten to mine quite yet but word is that the three hole rod aligning tool is not really needed.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:23 pm I haven’t gotten to mine quite yet but word is that the three hole rod aligning tool is not really needed.
Correct.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#6 Post by Michael Foster »

Still not a bad buy at $15

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER