Reutter stamped Serial numbers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Luomanen
356 Fan

Reutter stamped Serial numbers

#1 Post by Jack Luomanen »

I have a 1964 Reutter 356 C coupe, the stamped full serial number in front of the gas tank was destroyed (126976) by whomever stole the car 37 years ago. I have contacted Reutter and they say the last three digits may be in the following places: A-pillar plates(rear), Engine cover(under the grill), Trunk lid, Doors(under the door panel), and possibly directly on the A pillar on the passenger side under the cover plate. But exactly where ????
If you have a B or C Reuter car with numbers visible in any one of these places please take a picture so I know where to scrape off layers of paint to find them.
Thanks in advance for any help or further suggestions....I need this to authenticate this car to CA DMV.
Jack Luomanen

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Reutter stamped Serial numbers

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"A" pillar, under hinge cover plate, vertically. I'm sure someone more computer savvy will post some links.

jule block
356 Fan

#3 Post by jule block »

This is where my 62 is stamped on the passenger a pillar
IMG_0323.JPG

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

It should be as stated and shown above on your '64 C. If the car has been repainted, you may have to look carefully. Some of these were not stamped very deeply into the metal and the paint may have filled the numbers. The full number should be there. I believe the balance of the locations mentioned would only contain the last two or three digits.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

This BAT car sold by Vic has excellent pictures of the hood and engine lid numbers ( 3 digit). https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-porsche-356c-74/
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Schmid »

The DMV won't accept the riveted plate on the driver's side where the door opens or am I misunderstanding something?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Jon We are referrencing the stamped 6 digit Chassis number found on the hinge post on Passengers side of the 60-65 cars. Sometimes called the "hidden number".
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jon Schmid »

Right, but what about the riveted plate? And doesn't the CHP do the VIN checks and not the DMV?

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Jon Schmid wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 pm Right, but what about the riveted plate? And doesn't the CHP do the VIN checks and not the DMV?
Jon,

I'd be surprised if any DMV accepted those as an official ID number since what they are riveted to are held on with three small screws.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

Lots of old cars have screwed on serial number plates that are always accepted. But also this may be part of why lots of vehicles for registered by engine number.
I think the car in this thread had been stolen and the normal numbers destroyed, hence the wish to find the remaining “hidden” one.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mike Grant »

I have an early ‘64 Reuter coupe (August ‘63 factory date). The last 3 digits of the serial number are stamped in engine lid rain cover just to the left of the bottom of the passenger’s side upper luggage rack mount. With a flashlight, very easy to see through the grille. As mentioned above, the “hidden” VIN is easily seen by removing the passenger side door hinge cover. My doors don’t have numbers on them, nor does the hood which I suspect is a replacement.

Jack Luomanen
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jack Luomanen »

Thanks Mike, my COA says 9/25/63 so you are the closest, I had the lid dipped but didn’t notice stamping, what do do the numbers look like? Could you take a picture?

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mike Grant »

F58596EF-F683-4D0E-B267-CA49174A7A27.jpeg
Hopefully this photo goes through. This is the upper right corner of the passenger side engine grille. The paint is a little thick, but what you’re seeing is a 02, there’s a 4 hidden behind the grille bar immediately to the left of the 0. Zoom in on the numbers and you can get a better idea of the size and font.

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#14 Post by Mike Grant »

C89A8FEB-FC51-44B6-8A38-3ECEA89BB30D.jpeg
Jack, in case you haven’t already tried to find the “hidden” VIN, here is photo that should help. The VIN is under the hinge cover on the lower A pillar on the passenger side. The sheet metal cover is secured by 3 small Philips head screws and is easily removed. You will probably have to push the door seal back to reveal the bottom 2 screws. If your car was stolen at some point it’s possible that this number has been removed. There have been a couple of 356 cars on BAT recently where this number was either ground off or cut off, indicating that they were probably stolen earlier in their lives.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

A three digit number won't fly with the CA DMV. You'll need proof of the complete chassis number. Martin, you've never dealt with the CA DMV. Back in my Healey days, they wouldn't accept the VIN number that was riveted to the frame. They insisted on using the engine number, even though it was also on a riveted plate, but looked a little more permanent.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....