Mazatlan

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Jim Beam
356 Fan

Mazatlan

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

Exploring retirement location options. I have some friends who retired in Mazatlan. Is there any 356 Club presence there?
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: Mazatlan

#2 Post by Jim Liberty »

I'd stay in the US or Canada. Just say'n .............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Craig Richter »

Jim, Mexico is not a very 356 friendly place. We live most of the time on our little ranch outside of San Miguel de Allende, one of the safer spots in all of Mexico, but I'd never abuse a 356 by having it here. The roads range from OK to terrible, driver education is putting an 8-year-old on his uncle's tractor and yelling Olé, and traffic laws are mere suggestions. Besides, someone will just steal it. We really enjoy living down here, but my idea of safe transportation is an old beat-up pick-up truck, and never wear anything that could be mistaken for jewelry. Fancy cars and bling are for Cartel guys.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

Craig says it all. He also lives in the Swiss Alps. Talk about a man of all lives. .............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

Craig's got a good handle on life. Wish I'd have met him back in the 50s when we weren't that far apart. Of course, he was already into the Porsche 356s and running in the Pomona Drags when the LA County Sheriffs Department was conducting them on the parking lot at the LA County fairgrounds. I was at Pomona trying too, trying see how fast I could get my '34 Ford coupe down the track, but somehow we never crossed paths.

As far as Mazatlan goes, how is the political climate down there? Are there more folks leaving or entering?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

Just visited Mexico over Christmas. I would do my utmost best not to stand out. Drove an incognito minivan and left any valuables at home. Drove only during the daytime and still never felt safe... look at Spain, the British are selling their vacation homes for cheap.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Turino »

Try Portugal, was just there for a couple of weeks. Very friendly and welcoming people, you don't feel unwanted there. A lot of ex-pats and I think it is fairly easy to get residency. It's quite easy to navigate (roads are good) and although the language is tough almost everyone speaks some english. We were mostly on the coast and the surfing is off the charts.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I see the State Department has a Level 4 do not travel to advisory for Mazatlan.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Morris »

Costa Rica?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

That sounds like an extremely appealing place to me. Possibly with one of the highest functioning democracies in the world from what I’ve read.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Costa Rica.

I have an old-car friend who has lived there for some time. Never any complaints about safety. Roads? well, I've been there, and I would own/drive a high-wheel 4WD. Or a very old brass-era car with 32's.

=rds

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Schmid »

Personally, I would never live in Mexico, even Yucatan, where my wife was born. I prefer the relative security of the U.S.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#13 Post by Wes Bender »

Another problem is your name, Jim. The cartels might think you own a couple of distilleries and are consequently quite rich, thus making you a target.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

John Clarke
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Wes.
If Jim owns a 356. He Is Rich. With what is happening globally, I no longer feel safe in France! With a 356 You are a Target! For goodness sake. Taking one of the Old Cars down to the Classic Le Man's in June. And they have just kicked off about an increase in their Pension Start Age !
It's getting scary everywhere now.
With what's coming in, ( You all know what I mean !) I'm not sure even the UK is 'Safe'.
Regards Jay

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#15 Post by Jim Liberty »

My wife is going to Sicily in early summer. I can't talk her out of it. I will not go. Even the airlines are out of control, not to mention Russia and Ukraine. Oh, and then there is N. Korea, Iran, and China. The world situation is on a razors edge. All it takes is some idiot (And there are plenty to go around, even here) to start a real war, what ever that is, and one will never get home. ............Guys, I am an eternal optimist too. .............Jim.
Jim Liberty