Original rear engine grill?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Maurizio Santini
356 Fan

Original rear engine grill?

#1 Post by Maurizio Santini »

Having searched, I found not informations for trying to distinguish original rear engine grills from reproductions.
I have an old set that looks original and another just bought sold as NOS, but, how be sure? How (and what) compare?
Most interest for me is in my C model, but I suppose the contribution could of interest also on all models.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Original rear engine grill?

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

First, there were never a reproduction of the earlier grilles with the square cross bars. The later grilles with the round cross bars have been reproduced in the past, both the flat and the curved versions. To differ from originals, the joint in the outer perimeter strip often was not welded very well as compared to originals. There are several of the late versions on Ebay right now.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Wurner »

A engine grills.jpg
Brad
I assume that the cross bars on the early grills were rounded at the top
and flat on the sides?

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

Early grilles have square cross bars and are only polished. Late grilles have round crossbars and bright zinc plated.

Maurizio Santini
356 Fan

#5 Post by Maurizio Santini »

It would be interesting to post photos of NOS or assumed originals details, likes the cross-bar fixing at sides and the welding mentioned by Brad.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Maybe a little off subject .... Are all the grilles (Coupe, Roadster, Cabriolet) the same width and length? There are two versions: "curved" and "flat". A more reliable measurement would be the opening in the engine lid. I have received measurements (averaging) 214 x 368 mm for both versions.

I'm interested to have measurements so the correct grilles can be produced.