First time buyer - need help authenticating

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: First time buyer - need help authenticating

#16 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If the same car it would have been a lot closer to you as my brother is in Quinault about 8 1/2 hours away.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Zim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:21 pm Send the oil sample off before you give more than an hold the car deposit 2K Do you have mechanical ability how many cars did you build (read work on) as a kid. What makes you think that the people who worked on this car knew what they were doing? How are you going to learn what to do and purchase the tools to do the restoration?
Your wife should be a certified car nut. MINE WAS NOT! you know what that means. al zim
I wonder, in the hyper competitive Porsche 356 market, what seller is first going to let you take an oil sample from their car and then second hold the car while you wait for the results. I would be willing to bet zero sellers would agree to such an arrangement, they would just look at you and sell it to the next guy who calls, which will probably be a few minutes after they hang up on you.
Also, it doesn't take any mechanical ability to own and enjoy a classic car, that's why the world has mechanics. Every big city has a variety of well trained mechanics that can and will work on a classic Porsche. I don't live in a big city, but have a moderate sized city nearby, Albany, NY, and have a wonderful mechanic that is Porsche Factory Trained and has been working on these cars as long as I've been alive, I'm 48.
I'm not going to touch on people's choices for wives, that kind of beyond the purview of offering advice on a Porsche forum.
Attachments
bavroad3.jpg
bavroad2.jpg
bavroad1.jpg
bavarianrocketscience.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Mike Wilson »

John Willhoit is also in Long Beach.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#19 Post by Al Zim »

Adam: Like other shops we are continually looking for qualified personnel and would appreciate any leeds. Thanks al
Last edited by Al Zim on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Zim wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:36 pm Adam: Send me down a qualified air cooled Porsche Technician someone that can sell parts and a service writer! I will be in your debt forever! The shop is air conditioned and heated. Snow? what is that! NO state income tax. Covered Parking! Medical insurance stipend. Mostly long term employees. Shop and Machine Shop equipment. Thanks al
Sorry Al, the guys I was talking about mostly own their own shops.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Laettner
356 Fan

#21 Post by John Laettner »

Joe, I saw the car at the Boys Republic swap meet and I, too, thought it looked like a clean driver. I would follow Jerry's advice and get a PPI. Togo Brown can be a less popular color and that, of course, is a matter of personal choice, but my impression was that the car was a good value and the car looked pretty good. A PPI should give you the information you need, especially about the underside and body, which are the most expensive things to deal with. One of the best books you can have when considering buying a 356, IMHO, is "Buying, Owning and Driving a Porsche 356" by James Schrager. Just a great book that you will enjoy and will undoubtedly help you. Best, John

George Hussey
356 Fan

#22 Post by George Hussey »

a C should have Zenith carbs, but Solexes are great. (sc had them). you would need a bunch of close up pictures to really determine the value of the car
George Hussey

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#23 Post by Joe de Avila »

Alright so I met with the seller who ended up being a friend of the seller. Turns out is Chris from Willhoit…and a really solid guy.

The car is a great driver. It’s been repainted (stated original color was slate grey but there was also a few small signs of a lime green on the drivers side door hinge. So I’m assuming this was the second respray. I could see two spots that were blended (drivers side front headlight and rear quarter). upon looking underneath I could not see any shady weld patches or filler. There’s one spot with two small bubbles in front of the passenger door seam (common area it seems) but looking/feeling behind did not yield any pitting. The floors looked great when I peeled the carpet back (also has a foam insulation glued to them) and I’m almost positive the underside coating was refinished at some point.

The engine did not have a serial number - Chris explained it was one of the generator motors that was sent down to Argentina? I believe it’s a 1750? I took it for a test drive and it ran great at freeway speeds. There was a small oil leak from the lower pulley that has made a small puddle underneath ( maybe an easy seal to replace). I’m grateful he didn’t wipe that up and try and hide it.

Front beam looked solid and no signs of serious rust on the underside of the car.

There’s were a couple small dents in the Speedo and oil pressure gauge that led me to believe they were replaced at some point - these are euro gauges but not a dealbreaker for me.

Chis said he’d get me in contact with the owner who is a surgeon(and friend) in LA. Apparently he bought the car up in Sacramento 3 years ago and has a small collection.

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#24 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Joe - I think you’re in the right track! Ask Chris to put on lift at Willhoit & have them do a leak down test - cheap insurance! Seems very solid & reassuring that seller works at JW shop!
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#25 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:57 pm Joe - I think you’re in the right track! Ask Chris to put on lift at Willhoit & have them do a leak down test - cheap insurance! Seems very solid & reassuring that seller works at JW shop!
The fact that no engine serial # should be factored into sale price & you’re knowing this car will be for driving vs concourse. I’d not let the absent s/n deter if price is fair & car & engine are solid!
Author / Photojournalist

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#26 Post by Joe de Avila »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:57 pm Joe - I think you’re in the right track! Ask Chris to put on lift at Willhoit & have them do a leak down test - cheap insurance! Seems very solid & reassuring that seller works at JW shop!
Thanks for your reply - Chris did offer to jack it up in his garage but Willhoit doesn’t really offer PPI unless it’s a car they’re restoring. He did offer to take it to a shop in Huntington Beach for that. I can’t remember the name

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#27 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Joe - if it’s The Parts Shop owned by Bill Perrone that’s a great shop with lots of experience & involvement in 356 community - sounds like seller is a solid guy!
Author / Photojournalist

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Mike Wilson »

Bill is in Huntington Beach. Great guy.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jon Schmid »

Mike Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:22 pm Bill is in Huntington Beach. Great guy.

Mike
X2 on Bill. I've known him a very long time and he is a real upstanding person who can be trusted.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#30 Post by Al Zim »

Joe de Avila: Our front door ( and phone: 800.356.2964) is always open for an overview of the "mechanical and electric" services we perform. Thanks for your consideration. al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/