First time buyer - need help authenticating

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joe de Avila
356 Fan

First time buyer - need help authenticating

#1 Post by Joe de Avila »

Hey 356ers, has anyone in SoCal had the chance to see this car in person? Seller was at lit meet but I did not get a chance to make it. I will be looking at it this week and could use some sound advice - maybe this one is too good to be true.

I have read through countless threads here to try and unpack things to look for on the 356 - I’ve owned two VW busses and a Morris mini so rust is not new to me.

If anyone has info on this car please reach out! I plan on meeting the seller this week.

From the seller - “ 1964 Porsche 356 C. Rebuilt replacement engine, nice shifting transmission, runs and drives great. Brown driver quality repaint, original color is Slate Grey. Nice tan driver quality interior, original interior is Brown cord with leatherette. Zero rust , Italian delivery.”
Attachments
9530813D-6709-43E6-9DEB-84AA2C4111CB.jpeg
6AC99640-0FEC-48A7-B499-8161ED8FF543.jpeg
0A4EB7E8-AAEB-4970-8745-674EB920A133.jpeg
4CE2C56C-0481-4B84-AA23-65790DD0C02E.jpeg
Last edited by Joe de Avila on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Re: First time buyer - need help authenticating

#2 Post by Ken Tuvman »

I saw that car on Craigslist- If me I’d let Willhoit in Long Beach evaluate it. It does look nice & seems well cared for.
Author / Photojournalist

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

I’m pretty sure the front fender where it needs the door is not a perfect fit or contour. If you are wanting driver quality it may be a non issue. It is a common rust area, and check both sides.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joe de Avila »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:16 pm I saw that car on Craigslist- If me I’d let Willhoit in Long Beach evaluate it. It does look nice & seems well cared for.
Thanks for the info - I will give them a call tomorrow.
Martin Benade wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:20 pm I’m pretty sure the front fender where it needs the door is not a perfect fit or contour. If you are wanting driver quality it may be a non issue. It is a common rust area, and check both sides.
Thank you! I’ll get a better idea when I see it in person.

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joe de Avila »

Pictures added

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

Read my William Whithead post. It is located 2 or 3 posts before yours. Send the oil sample off before you give more than an hold the car deposit.
Mark Roth has deleted my last post about the situations you may incur while you bring you car to safe and original standards. Other trustees have experience with 356 cars. One has been in the repair and racing business for years I am sure they he and others can assist you. al zim**
Last edited by Al Zim on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#7 Post by Joe de Avila »

Al Zim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:21 pm Read my William Whithead post. It is located 2 or 3 posts before yours. Make sure you family has a lot of money, you have only one child and one wife (some people have more than 1 wife) Send the oil sample off before you give more than an hold the car deposit 2K Do you have mechanical ability how many cars did you build (read work on) as a kid. What makes you think that the people who worked on this car knew what they were doing? How are you going to learn that?
Your wife should be a certified car nut. MINE WAS NOT! you know what that means. al zim
Thank you, legend. I appreciate the sound advice. It seems like your contribution on the boards should be written in stone and preached for generations to come.

Short scoop - every car I buy I “convince” my wife is an investment. Not this one…the money pit will require some structural modification (deepening). I have 3 kids who help with my blackstone oil submissions. I’ve been wrenching on cars long before my parents approved and I refuse to pay anyone for that work. I do have a soft spot for body work as my welding skills will blow holes through just about anything. I trust no one with any car maintenance therefore understand every purchase is a crapshoot based on my evaluation, not that of the sellers. In essence, this is a long term purchase that I hope to keep forever (says every car guy on the planet) all while maintaining my marriage and watching my hair slowly turn grey.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

It sounds like you are well grounded, keep going. You’ll be fine!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#9 Post by Joe de Avila »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:30 pm It sounds like you are well grounded, keep going. You’ll be fine!
Famous last words! I’ll update once I meet with the seller

Jerry Hynes
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jerry Hynes »

I saw it at the Lit Meet Swap. Looks like a nice driver quality car. Lots of things different from original, which is fine, but it does impact price. Looks like the engine was probably built to add some performance. There are some good LA area shops to get a PPI. If you like the car, that's a good next step. Best of luck!
Jerry Hynes
1964 356C or is it an SC?
1974 914 Can Am Edition or Bumblebee
1970 914 1.7
1973 914 GT Tribute Vintage Race Car
1972 914 1.7

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Joe, if you narrow down your location, we can recommend shops near you.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Joe de Avila
356 Fan

#12 Post by Joe de Avila »

Jerry Hynes wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:35 pm I saw it at the Lit Meet Swap. Looks like a nice driver quality car. Lots of things different from original, which is fine, but it does impact price. Looks like the engine was probably built to add some performance. There are some good LA area shops to get a PPI. If you like the car, that's a good next step. Best of luck!
Thanks for sharing. I figured, based on the price, that this would not be an original turnkey. I’m meeting tomorrow morning so I’ll have more info then.
Mike Wilson wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 pm Joe, if you narrow down your location, we can recommend shops near you.

Mike
I’m in San Clemente but the car is located in Long Beach.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jules Dielen »

Try Jack Staggs, honest engine or Scott's Independent in Anaheim for a professional opinion. Just to name a few that come to mind.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Any more history? It looks like a car that was for sale a year or 2 ago way out in the Boondocks of rural NE Washington State by a retired Forest Service person that MY brother knew. Long term owner who bought it in South Bend Indiana if the same car.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jerry Hynes
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jerry Hynes »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:27 am Any more history? It looks like a car that was for sale a year or 2 ago way out in the Boondocks of rural NE Washington State by a retired Forest Service person that MY brother knew. Long term owner who bought it in South Bend Indiana if the same car.
Doug, interesting you brought that up. I am in WA and talked to that seller a few times. It would be cool if it was that car. He seemed like an interesting guy. I was tempted to go look but the logistics were just not going to work given how rural the car was.
Jerry Hynes
1964 356C or is it an SC?
1974 914 Can Am Edition or Bumblebee
1970 914 1.7
1973 914 GT Tribute Vintage Race Car
1972 914 1.7