First time buyer - need help authenticating

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jerry Powell
356 Fan

Re: First time buyer - need help authenticating

#46 Post by Jerry Powell »

Was that really necessary Bruce? As Sebastian said "Al, I know your heart is in the right place". Give the guy a break. When you get to Al's age, I hope someone gives you a break and has empathy for your situation. At least Wes had a graceful post, which didn't surprise me.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#47 Post by Larry Brooks »

Joe de Avila wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:43 pm
The engine did not have a serial number - Chris explained it was one of the generator motors that was sent down to Argentina? I believe it’s a 1750? n.
If it is an Industrial Motor look for the engine number around the corner on the left side under the generator stand. Also, the type number should be 616/33-1( or something like that) on the right side boss just in front of the fan shroud
Attachments
ind5.jpg

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#48 Post by Bill Lawless »

Al Zim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:21 pm Your wife should be a certified car nut. MINE WAS NOT! you know what that means. al zim
That's funny Al... Not sure I would say my Wife is a car nut, She thinks her Honda Fit is the best car ever made... But when I say "Porsche Ride" she's
always game, and we go out 3-4 times a week..

Happy St. Patricks day everybody!! (Too bad there is about 2 feet of snow on the ground in Vt. and I can't drive my GREEN Porsche) :x
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Ken Lubke
356 Fan

#49 Post by Ken Lubke »

+3 Adam

John Clarke
356 Fan

#50 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Joe
Al seems to Scare Everyone !
If You do get this car. Return it to Slate Grey. 😁 It's The Best!
Just My 2 cents
Good luck Jay

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#51 Post by Mark Roth »

Al’s latest scare tactics/advertising post has been moved offline.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Al Zim
356 Fan

#52 Post by Al Zim »

Mark Roth & Trustees: You (plural) will no longer be burdened by my evaluations of 356 Porsche repair advice. al zim **
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

John Clarke
356 Fan

#53 Post by John Clarke »

Al
I think we All acknowledge your lifetimes experience with the 356 and really appreciate your valuable technical inputs. What I think is questionable is talking down to the membership when they ask for advice and help as though we are totally devoid of any Technical experience.
Only my Humble Opinion.
Keep posting
Regards Jay

Al Zim
356 Fan

#54 Post by Al Zim »

John: Step into your 1963 Ford Falcon (dad purchased 2 new ones that year) and drive it on the freeway to work. That is what you are looking at. A 70 year old Porsche that never wears out in the front end! NOT on the king and link pins but on the spindle itself. How do you fix that and still maintain the design specifications of the front end of the car (drum or disc brakes) Send me your email address. al@allzim.com
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#55 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

John Clarke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:32 pm Al
I think we All acknowledge your lifetimes experience with the 356 and really appreciate your valuable technical inputs. What I think is questionable is talking down to the membership when they ask for advice and help as though we are totally devoid of any Technical experience.
Only my Humble Opinion.
Keep posting
Regards Jay
Al Zim wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:03 am John: Step into your 1963 Ford Falcon (dad purchased 2 new ones that year) and drive it on the freeway to work. That is what you are looking at. A 70 year old Porsche that never wears out in the front end! NOT on the king and link pins but on the spindle itself. How do you fix that and still maintain the design specifications of the front end of the car (drum or disc brakes) Send me your email address. al@allzim.com
I think this is what a lot of people find odd about some of Al's posts. I do not want to pile on and want to be as respectful as possible and I have bitten my tongue for years, but I am not sure what Al's response has to do with John Clarke's statement, it's kind of a head scratcher we see from him regularly, just a word salad of technical tidbits rarely related to the initial question or statement.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#56 Post by Ken Tuvman »

The sad part of threads like this is a new member joins our club, asks a question - and all this! Will we hear from Joe again and how many new members are alienated and never return to our club?
Author / Photojournalist

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#57 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:55 am The sad part of threads like this is a new member joins our club, asks a question - and all this! Will we hear from Joe again and how many new members are alienated and never return to our club?
I agree completely even though I was part of the off topic discussion, but some things have to be said to keep things in line for everyone else on the forum.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#58 Post by Wes Bender »

I think reasonable folks, even if they are new to these cars, are capable of separating the wheat from the chaff. Yes, it's a put-down to have someone tell you your car is old and probably worn out and needs all manner of repair, and I suppose it can turn someone off on the forum, but I think the good advice that most posts contain will more than balance out the downers.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#59 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Zim wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:16 pm Mark Roth & Trustees: You (plural) will no longer be burdened by my evaluations of 356 Porsche repair advice. al zim **
Nope, still burdening us all. I knew it was too good to be true.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#60 Post by Adam Wright »

Wes Bender wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:35 pm I think reasonable folks, even if they are new to these cars, are capable of separating the wheat from the chaff. Yes, it's a put-down to have someone tell you your car is old and probably worn out and needs all manner of repair, and I suppose it can turn someone off on the forum, but I think the good advice that most posts contain will more than balance out the downers.
I disagree, when you join a new forum and one of the established members is condescending you sometimes never go back. I've done it. Also, there are many more options to get advice now like Porsche 356 Facebook groups and other websites. The Registry has to work to maintain engagement now, which is what people are trying to do here with Al running roughshod over people and their cars. Remember, until recently Al was a Trustee, so really represented the Registry as part of the governance.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.