I found a 356 and bought it!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
William Whited
356 Fan
Tag: Cars are my Vice

I found a 356 and bought it!

#1 Post by William Whited »

I found a 64 356C
I found the right one for me. After very sound advice from Andrew Paterek and so many more I went in person and inspected this car for an hour plus a short drive, negotiation and commitment. She is a driver that needs some TLC.
I could not have done it without the knowledge and friendship from this group. I would like to thank the following members and non members for their advice and deep knowledge of these great rolling art work’s of the first generation Porsche.
Thanks so much to,
Ken, Kenny, Dave, Chris, Doug, Cliff, Adam, Jim L. Andrew P. Chris D, Al, Tom, George, Thomas, Mickey, Matt, Mike, Steve, Chris, Larry, Jacques, Jules, Bill, Wes, Timothy, Jeffrey, Jay, Chuck, Peter, Jerry and I’m sure I Missed a few of you, my apologies if I did not list your name.
I held off sending this till I received the car and did a safety check and took it for an hour shake down drive so I can tell you about this one.
It’s matching number colors, engine and trans axle. Kardex and COA. Passed the magnet test, and underside inspection it’s a solid car with pan and longitudes replaced. Older repaint in Ivory white with some flaws. Replaced red leatherette front seat covers that need new foams and rug installed incorrectly according to Andrew and Ray P, replaced headliner but still needs visors installed which I have.
A slightly kinked hood on the passenger side and not original to this car.
Aged out Pirelli P6000 tires and a rebuilt engine done quite a while ago in 06 but only 1700 miles on the engine and a new clutch, the trans was gone through in 11 and only has a few hundred miles on her. The third owner owned it from 1967-2021. Rick was a Purple Heart recipient helicopter Army officer with multiple tours in Vietnam with hundreds of successful missions, a true war hero.
I’m the fourth owner of this one.
On my list to take care of
Needs a spare wheel and Tire
Tire strap
New rubber which just came in
VREDESTEIN 185/70 15’s
Monday I’m dropping off the used disc 5.5 steel extra wheels that came with the 64 to have them media blasted and powder coating them in the correct light silver, than I’ll mount them and bring it for a four wheel alignment.
Horn not working under steering wheel hub is petrified so I at least need a new rubber grommet
The oil temperature sender, gauge is pegged to the right
Adjust valves
Oil change I’m going to use Valvoline 20/50
New plugs NGK
Cap
Perhaps wires
Condenser
Fuel filter
Check all fuel lines
inspect brakes and all brake hoses
Check all suspension
Start to try and polish chrome trim where it is starting to pit might be to far gone.
Replace pitted front bumper guards
Install missing fog light covers
Car was trucked in of course it was snowing and the driver and I pushed it in my garage because it would not start. So far she is dry underneath.
It came with original tool roll and all tools rusted jack, two extra luggage racks one pretty far gone and another good one but I won’t install the better one, I like the look without it.
Manuals, receipts as far back as 1966.
Three ring binder filled with receipts including engine, trans rebuild and the original bill of sale from 1967 when the third owner purchased the car.
Originally sold through Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville Florida to an airline pilot. Even has multiple sets of keys, original owners manual and miscellaneous additional parts.
As soon as the car came in my wife and I went away for a week I did not put the 356 on a maintainer until I returned home and I could not wait to get home and drive her. I have put on 175 miles since,(yes with old tires) and she started right up for me every day. I love it, can’t take the smile off my face when I drive it or even think or talk about driving her. By the way I started turning off the petcock if I’m not planning driving the next day, otherwise I keep it in the on position.
I’m sure I will continue to ask for advice an eventually understand these well enough to also help others.
God bless all of you and keep enjoying this great car, camaraderie and special hobby for generations to come.
Bill W. 356 caretaker.
Mahwah NJ
Attachments
Waiting on new rubber and steel wheels
Waiting on new rubber and steel wheels
Not my car
Not my car
Just got her registered
Just got her registered
At home
At home

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: I found a 356 and bought it!

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Great news!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

William Whited
356 Fan

#3 Post by William Whited »

Thanks Adam,
Also thanks very much for recommending Andrew Paterek from Chatum NJ. Andrew has been a great help to me also his Uncle Ray. I have been to his shop twice now, once prior to my purchase and recently with my 356. We have a plan to make it just a little better. Andrew, his uncle and Dad really know Porsches, some amazing work going on in his shop. I saw the car he is redoing that you found and he bought from you, very nice.
All the best to you,
Bill

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Turino »

Bill, that's fantastic news, I have been silently following your journey on here. By the way I grew up in Saddle River, not far from you.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Good news indeed. Congrats William
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Schmid »

Congratulations, Bill! You can't go wrong with a '64 C! ;)

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jules Dielen »

Cograts Bill! That looks and sounds to be a fantastic find and a great match to your needs. Nice color combo too. You are in great hands with the Paterek Bros nearby. Welcome to 356 ownership!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats! Enjoy the drives!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Looks like a good one Bill - glad you pulled the trigger! Now you’ve got one!

Congratulations!

KT
Author / Photojournalist

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

William Whited wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:41 am Thanks Adam,
Also thanks very much for recommending Andrew Paterek from Chatum NJ. Andrew has been a great help to me also his Uncle Ray. I have been to his shop twice now, once prior to my purchase and recently with my 356. We have a plan to make it just a little better. Andrew, his uncle and Dad really know Porsches, some amazing work going on in his shop. I saw the car he is redoing that you found and he bought from you, very nice.
All the best to you,
Bill
Yeah, that was a cool one. One owner, parked in the early 70's, all matching.
Attachments
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg
69230007080__8FA98F65-CE30-4852-83F2-EC48991886D3.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

I would make some comments about purchasing a car from my 61 years experience with 356 cars. GET A SHOP MANUAL A REAL PORSCHE ONE.. OIL ANALYSIS from Blackstone Labs at 416 East Pettit Ave. Ft. Wayne, IN 46806-3103 is the first thing you need to do IMMEDIATELY. send them the old oil!!! Do nothing else till you receive their analysis no matter what the guru members tell you to do. GET a sample kit and send it off. Find a qualified recommended shop to provide you with and estimate for the refurbishment. Pay them for the estimate! It will take their time. If your car is like the ones that we service plan on leaving it for a year. al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Tony Madsen
356 Fan
Tag: I find dreams; you make them reality.
Instagram: germanjalopies

#12 Post by Tony Madsen »

The C is the best driving 356 available. I had the pleasure of buying my 1965 from the longtime owner whom had it since 1966. One color change, two resprays, two rebuilds using the original block...over 240,000 miles--I got all that history
with an original owner (or longtime owner) car. You may even get old vintage photos. Whenever possible, I prefer owning cars that have a longtime owner for those reasons. Incidentally, my car and I are in the upcoming HBO series, White House Plumbers starring Woody Harrelson among others. I worked on the production for 12
days and and am even SAG eligible. Look for it in the background. Congrats Bill. If I can help, please let me know. Tony
Attachments
37FA9C74-C72C-4271-B893-AFD6B6A08922.jpeg
01E172FF-F9A5-42BB-A7F1-BD9B7908FD01.jpeg
AD1CF4FB-DE86-45E1-B29C-09EB7FEF1C8E.jpeg
9A59A338-9827-4F57-9737-A84E7A243EA0.jpeg
04D3EB73-8D73-43A1-BBD5-492A571089F5.jpeg
946FB6D9-9B3A-4F7A-ABB5-228FAA86EF88.jpeg
See my 1957 speedster "backyard find" story in September\October 356registry magazine. I am always looking for an old Porsche to write stories about or interesting stories about an old Porsche to relay for the magazine.
germanjalopies.com

William Whited
356 Fan

#13 Post by William Whited »

Thanks everyone,
Al I’ll get the oil analyzed. Also thanks for all the other advice I really appreciate it.
Tony that’s awesome, I can’t wait to watch it.
Bill

Ken Lubke
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ken Lubke »

Well I see the journey has finally ended. See how much time it takes. Your diligence payed off. Learn the vehicle as much as you can. It will bring you many times of pleasure.

Kenny

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jules Dielen »

tony madsen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:15 pm The C is the best driving 356 available. I had the pleasure of buying my 1965 from the longtime owner whom had it since 1966. One color change, two resprays, two rebuilds using the original block...over 240,000 miles--I got all that history
with an original owner (or longtime owner) car. You may even get old vintage photos. Whenever possible, I prefer owning cars that have a longtime owner for those reasons. Incidentally, my car and I are in the upcoming HBO series, White House Plumbers starring Woody Harrelson among others. I worked on the production for 12
days and and am even SAG eligible. Look for it in the background. Congrats Bill. If I can help, please let me know. Tony
Tony, better stop driving it, it is worn out and unsafe to drive. Just read Al's post, he knows your car better than you do!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.