James Dean Speedster article

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: James Dean Speedster article

#16 Post by James Davies »

neilbardsley wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:51 pm International members will have to wait I guess?
I got mine in Baden-Württemberg a few days ago.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#17 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I understand that postage takes longer to different places in the world but I don't understand why the current magazine on the website isn't up to date? Surely the pdf would of been available before printing. I guess this was the point I was trying to make

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#18 Post by James Davies »

neilbardsley wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:25 am I understand that postage takes longer to different places in the world but I don't understand why the current magazine on the website isn't up to date? Surely the pdf would of been available before printing. I guess this was the point I was trying to make
Agreed. Would be nice to read online.

Great article!

John Wurner
356 Fan

#19 Post by John Wurner »

Lee
Great piece of information and detective work.
Congrats, John

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#20 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Haven't received mine yet in Neptune Beach, Florida. When it gets here I can't wait to read it, no complaints though from me. Thank you Lee for doing the deep dive on the JD Speedster!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#21 Post by Michael Branning »

neilbardsley wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:25 am I understand that postage takes longer to different places in the world but I don't understand why the current magazine on the website isn't up to date? Surely the pdf would of been available before printing. I guess this was the point I was trying to make
The magazine is posted 30 days after mailing by decision of the trustees. From my Presidents letter in issue 45-6:

We regularly hear from members who are worried about the future of the magazine. The trustees feel strongly the magazine in printed form is special and we reaffirm our full support behind it. To this end, the trustees made the decision that we will post magazine content on our website 30 days after the magazine mails, which preserves the physical experience of receiving the magazine for most members while making the content available in a reasonable time frame to all. The magazine PDF will be posted at that time, and individual PDFs of all of the magazine articles will be added to the document library (joining the 5,000-plus older articles).
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#22 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I think that is short sighted. We are a car club not a magazine producer.

The club has invested a lot of effort in the website only to delay the availability of it primary resource?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#23 Post by Vic Skirmants »

neilbardsley wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:47 am I think that is short sighted. We are a car club not a magazine producer.

The club has invested a lot of effort in the website only to delay the availability of it primary resource?
I think Michael explained it pretty well and I concur.

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jerry Powell »

Why do members have to wait 30 days to view the magazine online after the hard copy magazine mailing date? How does the 30 day delay benefit international members who already have a postal service delay in receiving the hard copy but wish to read the magazine and participate in talk forum discussions when they can't read the hard copy content? Obviously, some members are being discriminated against because of this short sighted online release delay rule.

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#25 Post by Greg Scallon »

I would have to agree. The current protocol doesn't seem like very modern thinking. I'm glad there's no 30 day delay on email in order to preserve the feeling of getting a paper letter in your mailbox. :-)

-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#26 Post by Michael Branning »

Thanks for your input. The practice of a 30-day delay before posting the magazine has been standard for some time. There have been arguments made at various times to both lengthen and shorten the delay. More study is required as to the effect of the economics on the club and the magazine. The Trustees will take this up in a meeting later this year.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#27 Post by Trevor Gates »

To get back to 80126, how do we know that this is THE James Dean Speedster? I went back and read the initial article and it makes mention that the interior color combo (brown carpet) “helped”. What else lead to the identification of 80126 as being the car? Were multiple Kardex’s viewed or other records/documents? Maybe I missed this in other articles, books or online discussions?
Attachments
044BB6B2-935B-4F40-A100-2AF235A01E01.jpeg
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#28 Post by James Davies »

Trevor, the Kardex for 80126 lists the ignition key code and the door lock key code. Apparently this car in Hungary had both matching (only one door though). So if those are original, then it's very good evidence, taken with the other physical evidence on the body, such as the enlarged slots for the bumper brackets at the front, and the lack of a passenger grab handle. I think Lee and his collaborators did excellent work here.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#29 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Well the magazine arrived:)

The conclusion on the French car is that the seller obtained a duplicate the France register document (after the vin number was revealed) and sold on another car? Asking because it wasn't clear

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#30 Post by Martin Benade »

And from my understanding both cars came from the same seller. I think.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna