356 Carrera & 904 Oil Filter Cups

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

356 Carrera & 904 Oil Filter Cups

#1 Post by Bill Sargent »

As a follow on to the project to make Rainer's adapter parts that allow use of a disposable oil filter cartridge in the original oil filter parts, I have completed CAD files for the 356 Carrera oil filter cup, the taller 904 oil filter cup and top bolt used in both applications.

According to Jeff Adams, many 356 Carrera owners who use the adapter for the spin on Corvair filter (Fram PH4) have lost their original filter cup and bolt. I am making this post to gauge if owners are interested in purchasing a reproduction filter cup and bolt. The original cup was die cast aluminum with a steel center shaft and a steel top cover bolt. If I reproduce the parts the cup would be CNC machined from aluminum, the shaft would be steel and the bolt would be stainless steel. I would tumble the cups so that they would look very similar to an original.
356 Carrera Oil Filter Cup and Bolt
356 Carrera Oil Filter Cup and Bolt
The 904 oil filter cup is 21.6 mm taller than the 356 Carrera cup and uses the same oil filter cover and bolt. I am still searching for a disposable or reusable oil filter element for this application.

Please feel free to direct message or email me if you are interested in any of these parts.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works