Luftgekühlt 9

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Silten
356 Fan

Luftgekühlt 9

#1 Post by Peter Silten »

Luftgekühlt 9 is coming to somewhere in the SF Bay Area (big mystery as to where that is). Saturday Pedestrian Tickets show two prices: $110 for admittance at 8:00 a.m. and $60 for admittance at $10:00 a.m. What is the advantage of getting in at 8:00? Fewer people? Not having to mingle with people for whom money is an object?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Luftgekühlt 9

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I attended the last one in San Pedro and paid for early admittance thinking the parking and crowds would be lighter. However, the line to get in was so long that the later arrivals were right behind us. The only benefit in my opinion is perhaps better parking.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

You must have an "early admission" ticket to be able to "show" your car on Saturday, to show in the past you buy your ticket, and then in a week or so you submit the car's "bio" and like $60 more dollars, non refundable, for your car to be considered worthy to be entered. I bought an early Saturday ticket and may submit one of my cars, Sunday being that it's a whole new show called Air and Water, one price ticket, $45 to get in and I assume the same routine of submitting your car's bio to be accepted. Location? At many of the venues where bigger car shows are held there is an additional $10-15/car parking fee, so don't be surprised.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I submitted my car for display in San Pedro and was it was not accepted. There is usually a theme or they are looking for special cars. However, I talked with some guys who were going to park offsite but were directed on site for display. Frankly, there were a lot of cars that weren't special. The upside of not being in display parking was that I didn't have to wait until the event was over to leave.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great gathering of Porsches and people.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#5 Post by Jay Broemmel »

You also get a free hat for the $110 Early price. My Snap-on guy put his kids through college with that old trick. “Jay, if you spend $50 more you get a free hat!” Me:”Free hat! Let me get my wallet back out!” I stuck with the $60 level. See y’all there. J

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter Silten »

I wonder where the event will be held. Any guesses?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

No clue. They typically will announce the venue a few weeks before the event.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Erickson »

All 6 of the recommended hotels are in Napa or vicinity, so that may be a clue as to the location of the venue. Maybe one of those hotels is the venue, e.g. Meritage.
Last edited by Dave Erickson on Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Maybe on a vineyard or the Estrella Warbird Museum?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#10 Post by Peter Silten »

The Estrella Warbird Museum is in Paso Robles.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#11 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Peter,
It's all about "The right crowd, and no crowding." Stick with the Hillsboro Concours. See you there this summer.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Douglas »

If you consider the recommended hotels, the location for the shows is very limited, Mare Island Shipyard is the most likely, being early information said it was within 50 miles of SFO airport, Mare Island is 48 miles out. Entrance from highway #37 would be easy, several huge vacant buildings, lots of historical stuff, a great museum, views of the still active dry docks, Mare Island Brewery and Coal Sheds, and most of all, it's an isolated venue making it easy to control the crowds.

Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

#13 Post by Pete Indelicato »

When is this (date?)--Mare Island is pretty cool now with a few brew pubs open along the water front. And historical also with the admirals resident and cemetery open to the public.
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

It funny that before each Luftghekuhlt event, there is speculation on the location. It's part of the hype and creates interest and conversation.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dave Erickson »

Pete Indelicato wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:30 pm When is this (date?)--Mare Island is pretty cool now with a few brew pubs open along the water front. And historical also with the admirals resident and cemetery open to the public.
I think it is the week before the North South.