First Concours

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lou Mele
356 Fan

First Concours

#1 Post by Lou Mele »

I have displayed my '63 B a several local car shows (wash and shine) but recently submitted an entry form to a "real" concours. This is likely a "one and done" experience and I am looking forward to seeing how this fair weather weekend driver measures up. My plan is to catch up on deferred maintenance, like worn rubber and the normal "this and that's" that come with a car that is driven when the sun is out. I am looking for any and all advise/opinions from those of you who have experience. I have listed a few questions and am hopeful for replies that might lead to additional questions.

1- The rubber mats are in great shape so should I pull the coco mats?
2- Interior luggage straps: a) which should I use, the tanned leather or presentable set of near original black straps (staples, rivets etc.)? b) best way to display them, rolled up or belted together?
3- Optima battery in service, use a "cloaking" cover? (actually seems wise as it probably secures the Optima better than the 2X4 block in place now)
4- The car was radio delete at purchase in '63 and Blaupunkt installed in '64, The antenna is original to the installation but has a metal tip with the small hole to insert a key-like tool to pull it up. Endeavor to find and blue tip and install or leave well enough alone?
5- I have all original tools and tool bag that "Hans" tossed in 60 years ago. With a little cleaning and refinishing the tools and jack are very nice but the tool bag is a little tired, put a repro into service?

My level of commitment is to present a sharp, well prepared, clean car but I do not plan to go to the great lengths I have read that others go to in these contests. I look forward to to any information you have time to supply...all responses will be thoroughly appreciated.
Thanks
Lou

David Aronson
356 Fan

Re: First Concours

#2 Post by David Aronson »

Having gone the concours route, it is fun but exasperating when a single hair or spec of dust found on your carpet puts you out of the running. I suggest you read this
information to get a handle of what is expected in full concours. Oh yea....Good luck.
https://www.zone8.org/assets/docs/concours101.pdf
61 Karmann Notchback 200831
67 Karman 912 461567
74 911 Targa (3.0 SC motor)
83 911SC (Concours award winner, still)
95 993
09 Carrera S
69 Triumph TR6, 2004 BMW K1200GT, 2012 R1200RT, 2013 MOTO GUZI V7 RACER
64 VW coupe
Vacaville Ca.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

Lou, I am guessing you signed up for a PCA Concours? If so they base the judging on cleanliness, rather than originality. Such things as: the bottom point of the hubcap crest pointed to the valve stem, and inside of the spare tire rim perfect. A clean Optima is in most cases good enough as long as it's held down by a good mount, (no bungie cords) Coco mats are great, but most likely you will be asked to remove them to look underneath, and, Oh No, coco fibers on the rubber mats, deduct... If you are lucky the judges will know something about a 356, and may even accept some dirt and rust stains on your tool kit bag. If you are showing at a 356 club, of SCCA event then "clean" is still important, but not the sole basis for judging, much more fun. Don't forget to clean the bottoms of the doors, and the top of your radio....Enjoy the process, realize you are paying money for "people" to tell you how bad your car is. The first one is always a shock, and it's a learning process, ask and listen, if you follow some of the criteria it can improve your car. Showing in a judged concours can substantiate that the car is better than the norm, that can set the value higher.

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#4 Post by Lou Mele »

thanks!!!!

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#5 Post by Lou Mele »

I have the original tool bag and all tools…the tools have been de rusted, cleaned and an appropriate coat of paint bringing them to 7.5/10 condition. The bag on the other hand is serviceable but using all of the techniques found in the Registry articles is about a 4/10. Is it wise to purchase a repro bag or will a judge recognize it’s a 60 year old bag and score accordingly?

George Hussey
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Hussey »

there is concours sanitaire and concours originale, SO sanitaire worries about dust in the tail pipe, originale says you must display the worn tool bag.
George Hussey

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#7 Post by Lou Mele »

Thanks

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Morris »

Several years back when the annual Parade was held in Monterey, I happened to walk by very close as the senior judge for 356 was closing his briefing to the class judges. I remember well my shock and dismay when he said: "Just look for dirt."

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jon Schmid »

I always have the bottom point of the hubcap crest pointed to the valve stem on my ratty rustbucket just to make the stems easier fro me to find.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

👍😜

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#11 Post by Lou Mele »

I can cost effectively manage dirt!

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#12 Post by Michael Branning »

Lou, Good luck!

PS-keep an eye on your tools. Bring them out for the judges, but be aware that depending on the event, sticky fingers could abscond with them. Very valuable these days.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Excellent advice, Michael. Stay with your presentation items until judged then lock them in the car.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#14 Post by Lou Mele »

This weekend’s question:
I understand that I should only display what was original to the car (original owners manual, original warranty booklet, original maintenance coupon book etc.) how or should I display the original sales invoice? Thanks!!!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

At the 356 Club Concours, I lay out my presentation items on a red plaid blanket in front of the car. Maybe place the sales invoice in a clear sheet protector along with the other items?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe