First Concours

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lou Mele
356 Fan

Re: First Concours

#16 Post by Lou Mele »

Thx

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bruce Smith »

My Heron Grey '60 cabriolet took 1st place, Best of Show, at the Watkins Glen Vintage Councours last fall. Don't worry so much about the tool kit, sales invoice, etc. as judges won't know what might be original. What you need to do is tell a story in a very short amount of time, and (most important) have a clean, unique, #1 or #2 car that is at least as good as what others are presenting. I just finished a complete restoration of my cab last year, but still spent an entire weekend cleaning it before taking it to the show. I had a binder of pictures the restoration, together with an original photo of the car and owner, and a few key docs. The tool kit and jack were in the trunk. You'll have just a few minutes to talk to the judges, so you need to make it pithy. Practicing is a good idea. It's probably a good idea to attend the concours that you're interested in entering the year before you go. I've been to the WG Councours many times, and entered my Ruby Red '63 Coupe in it two years ago. It gave me a good idea what to do, and won an Honorable Mention award to boot.
Attachments
IMG_0747_cropped.jpg
Cropped_Bruce.jpg
Bruce Smith

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#18 Post by Lou Mele »

Another correctness question:
Correct gray for gas tank on ‘63 B T6?

George Hussey
356 Fan

#19 Post by George Hussey »

sure do need to watch the tool kit: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962- ... /#comments
George Hussey

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've used ACE light gray gloss for my gas tank. Others may have good suggestions as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jules Dielen »

Lou, is this a 356 only event? If not do not worry about originality, invoices, tool kits etc as most judges have no clue what they are looking for anyway. Aftermarket and non correct parts, tools, carbs etc are fine as long as they are really really clean.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.