Racers Grove Dave Dicky, Milt Mintner, Bob Tucknott

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Tom Miller
356 Fan
Instagram: millersportscars

Racers Grove Dave Dicky, Milt Mintner, Bob Tucknott

#1 Post by Tom Miller »

Gottard "Harry" Weber was a Porsche Factory Carrera Mechanic sent to California to assist privateers. He eventually had his own cars and team with drivers John Grove, Dave Dicky, Milt Mintner, and Bob Tucknott. If anybody had pictures of a 58 Carrera GT Speedster driven by one of these guys, I would be grateful to see them. The car had been Ivory, silver and black. At one point while black it wore # 201. Possibly also ran as #44, Thanks, Tom Miller

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Racers Grove Dave Dicky, Milt Mintner, Bob Tucknott

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

Here you go. Harry with a couple of the cars he supported.
Attachments
harryweberreno61small.jpg

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian R Adams »

Alan Hall wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:52 pm Here you go. Harry with a couple of the cars he supported.
Alan, where was that photo taken? It looks very much like Peavine Mountain as seen from Stead Airport north of Reno (venue of the annual Reno Air Races).
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

Yup, Reno road races at Stead AFB, 1961

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brian R Adams »

Alan Hall wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:15 pm Yup, Reno road races at Stead AFB, 1961
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The white Plymouth Valiant pegged it no earlier than 1960.

That photo is looking west from the airport. This view is looking NNE across the airport and the 8-1/2 mile air race circuit, with Fred's Mountain beyond.
Reno_Stead_airport.jpg
-

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Hall »

Thanks for the info Brian, do you know how many years they ran road races in Reno?

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brian R Adams »

Alan Hall wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:13 pm Thanks for the info Brian, do you know how many years they ran road races in Reno?
I do not. I moved to Reno in 1973 and started attending the Air Races, but was not aware of any road racing which may have still been happening here (at Stead or elsewhere in the area.) I do know that by 1964 the AFB closed and the facility became privately-operated Reno Stead Airport.
-

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alan Hall »

A photo of Harry Shorman and, I think Ritchie Lukes at the same Reno race with their "Pooper". In the first photo with Harry Weber the black speedster is the probably the Carrera that Tom is asking about as it appears to be carrying a #44 race nuimber.
Attachments
harryshoremanreno61small.jpg

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Alan, Yes! The black 44 is the Carrera GT Speedster. Where did the picture come from? Do you have original? I know it is the car, because it has the 12 louvers on either of deck lid. These were reported to be put on by Lukes & Shoreman or Eddie Myers at Carl Block Motors. Porsche did not put deck vents on the GT cars until later in 58. Any other pictures of #44 would be greatly appreciated!! The car was originally Ivory and was at Competition Motors on April 30th 1958 getting first service with 2468 miles on it. Thanks, Tom

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#10 Post by Alan Hall »

Hi Tom, The photo was taken by my father, and was a color slide that I scanned years ago. I had a higher res version, but apparently it was lost during a computer change years ago. I probably still have the original slide but not sure as I may have disposed of them after scanning.

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Alan, Thanks for that great piece of history! If you get a hi resolution image, I would be thankful.

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#12 Post by Tom Miller »

Here is Don Dickey in same car in May 1963 with #201. This car was ordered new by Bruce Jennings and delivered to him at Hoffman Jan 29th 1958 and it was light Ivory. The car made its way to Competition Motors. At some point it was sold to Harry Weber and painted black. Any other information on the car would be helpful. Thanks, Tom
Attachments
Don Dickey racing 201 at Cotati in May 1963..jpg
fron plate LWE 930.jpg

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brian R Adams »

Re: Stead Airport and Reno Air Races

If attending the Reno Air Races is on your bucket list, this year will be your last chance. There will be no more air races in Reno after this September 2023 event. A sad curtain descends on a great aviation tradition.

https://airrace.org/reno-air-races-tickets/
-

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#14 Post by Wes Bender »

Tom Miller wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm Here is Don Dickey in same car in May 1963 with #201. This car was ordered new by Bruce Jennings and delivered to him at Hoffman Jan 29th 1958 and it was light Ivory. The car made its way to Competition Motors. At some point it was sold to Harry Weber and painted black. Any other information on the car would be helpful. Thanks, Tom
I first met Don Dickey in 1967 and we talked occasionally through about 1982. I owned Porsches back then, but we never discussed his racing. His company, Dickey Exploration, was operating the Oriental Mine in Allegheny CA at the time and I occasionally sold him mine supplies. Last I heard, he was retired and living in Nevada City CA.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#15 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Brian R Adams wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:49 pm Re: Stead Airport and Reno Air Races

If attending the Reno Air Races is on your bucket list, this year will be your last chance. There will be no more air races in Reno after this September 2023 event. A sad curtain descends on a great aviation tradition.

https://airrace.org/reno-air-races-tickets/
-
I've been an Off 'n On attendee for years since an old Navy buddy of mine, Sherm Smoot, was a racer since '90, first in a T6 then in a Yak11. Sadly, Sherm lost his life last September in a crash resulting from an engine failure on takeoff while performing a test flight in the Yak a week before the races started. The races have for years been criticized for the lives lost during that week and before....always from the non-pilots. "Race On" as Sherm would say....