EZ Car Lift accessory questions

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Grant
356 Fan

EZ Car Lift accessory questions

#1 Post by Mike Grant »

I’m planning to order an EZ Car Lift soon and wanted to check with Registry members who have one regarding which accessories, if any, they purchased with the lift. I’ve read many posts on this lift but haven’t found comments on the accessories. Specifically, I’m interested in learning if anyone uses the Limited Space Kit and additional rubber blocks. The LSK allows the car to be driven over the spacers and makes it possible to easily store the lift under the car, and the blocks give another .5” of height on the lift’s rubber lift points.

Does anyone disassemble the spacers from the lift and store the components on the wall using the wall storage accessory?

This seems like a very useful product. With an extra set of longer spacers I’ll also be able to use it with my MBZ 107 SL.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mike

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: EZ Car Lift accessory questions

#2 Post by Thomas Sottile »

You should look at quick lift as another option I have had mine for 34 years

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Grant »

Hi Thomas, thanks for the response. If you’re referring to the Kwik Lift, I was interested but their production is currently halted due to the high price of steel. Their website states there’s no target date to resume production.

James Cronin
356 Fan

#4 Post by James Cronin »

I have an EZ Car Lift. I've had it for about 13 years. I use it quite often. When I'm not using it, I simply push it to a wall, lift it and lean it on the wall. I made a small bracket to keep it from falling away from the wall. It really is light and quite versatile in my situation. I did get the motorcycle accessory, but that's it.
Attachments
IMG_00000106.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Does it go high enough for an engine on a jack to roll out from under the car?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Erickson »

You can buy a 2 post car lift for about the same price as an EZ Lift...

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mike Grant »

Hi Dave, because of my space restrictions a two post lift would have to be mid-rise and easily moved for storage. The only one I know of that meets those requirements is the MaxJax. Do you know of another one?

KThanks.

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mike Grant »

James, your storage solution sounds good. When the lift is that accessible, you’re likely to use it a lot more. Thanks for the insight.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

I see the MaxJax advertising finally admits that you have to bolt it to the floor. That information was rather well hidden before.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bob Forman »

I had an EZ jack that worked fine. I switched to a Quick Jack for convenience and weight. Since it comes in two pieces (plus the hydraulic unit), it's easier to lift and store. Along with the EZ you need a powerful drill to operate it. A standard 3/8 won't lift a car. I used a DeWalt 1/2 heavy duty which did the job. The large rubber blocks are a good addition including the ones with a split in the middle to fit around the pinch welds. Either jack is strong and secure and worthwhile.
Bob Forman

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

Get a Friend or two rent a space where you can actually work on your car and they can at the same time. Purchase a two post lift (NOT A WORTH LIFT) Get some heavy metal work tables and a Wilton vice and a parts cleaner that has a self closing fireproof lid you will need a compressor they are becoming cheaper.
YOU CANNOT WORK IN A GARAGE AS SHOWN ON PAGE 15 (the page is not marked) Two of my tenants are doing this. No Booz No refrigerator, No TV, heat for the winter and a good friend that can share the cost. This is advice not an advertisement for space...which I have none. If you cannot stand up and get under the car to work on it satisfactory work cannot be accomplished. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dave Erickson »

Mike Grant wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:39 pm Hi Dave, because of my space restrictions a two post lift would have to be mid-rise and easily moved for storage. The only one I know of that meets those requirements is the MaxJax. Do you know of another one?

KThanks.
Mike, I have a 4-post that is easily moved (theoretically, I have never moved mine and now It is boxed in by cabinets). but it doesn't meet the storage criteria. I suppose that if you install anchors in the concrete floor for the two post lift, it would not be a lot of work to undo the 4 bolts on each side and move the posts to storage, but its a lot more work than I would want.

-Dave

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Scallon »

I'll give a shout-out for a mid-rise lift. It acts like a two post lift in that I can get full access to the motor, trans, front end, etc, but when lowered all the way down it sits on the ground under my car totally out of sight. Doesn't even take any room against the wall. I park right on top of it. And I can get the bottom of the car 4 feet in the air, which is more than enough to get under there comfortably. Oh, and you can move it around too on its casters. (if you're weighty and strong).

Just a thought.
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Stephen Ross
356 Fan

#14 Post by Stephen Ross »

FWIW, I have an EZ and a 4 post. Different tools for different jobs. Sort of like having a Phillips and a flat blade screwdriver (or as the kid who just mechanics school said a few months ago, “ plus one and a minus one”).

That’s an advert to keep working on your own cars I guess.
1962 Twin Grille Roadster
2017 718 Cayman
Others too

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#15 Post by Steve Douglas »

Mike Grant, I just borrowed a Quick Jack today from Tony Van, if you want to come over check it out I'll be home Thursday until noon, and all day Friday. I'm doing the suspension on the 993 so wanted to have a lift instead of using floor jacks and jack stands. I have want to see if it's really worth buy one.
Steve Douglas