New 356 Tool Kit from Porsche - a rip-off or just nice?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
William Whited
356 Fan
Tag: Cars are my Vice

Re: New 356 Tool Kit & Parts list on hand ?

#31 Post by William Whited »

Steve Douglas excellent advice. I’m hoping to purchase a 356 driver soon, can you give me a practical list of replacement parts to have in my car all the time?
Thanks very much

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Re: New 356 Tool Kit from Porsche - a rip-off or just nice?

#32 Post by Mark Roth »

Can someone point William to the thread that discussed what spares to carry? Let’s keep this conversation on topic.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#33 Post by Jules Dielen »

Rule of thumb for me personally is that whatever I bring i do not need. What is left in the garage is what goes bad.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#34 Post by Trond Vidar »

Not touring much in the 356 but back in time I used to drive my daily driver Beetles all over southern Norway and Northern Europe, I remember spark or gas issues would be the most common problems.

In old metric cars I bring the 10,12 and 14 and sometimes 17+19 mm, spark tools and plugs, wheel tools, a jack, pliers and flat + Phillips screwdriver. Small and medium size high quality combo wrench is always nice to bring, Bahco make the good ones over here. With the "classic kit" a lot is covered but it need a few extra items, there are more ergonomic tools but for me that kit serve a dual purpose.

Swap for an electrical distributor like the 123ignition if planning touring, keep the battery fresh and keep the faith?
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#35 Post by Alan Hall »

Jules Dielen wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:49 am Rule of thumb for me personally is that whatever I bring i do not need. What is left in the garage is what goes bad.
A variation of the rule I go by: "That for which you have a spare, will not break."

George Hussey
356 Fan

#36 Post by George Hussey »

by the way I have about a thousand t-5 blue tool bags I had made years ago identical to the originals complete with the leather straps. Well the vinyl dye is finally pealing on them new in the bag, so anyone who wants one can get it for $5.00

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Repr ... 01001.html
George Hussey

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#37 Post by Mark Roth »

Let's get back to the topic New 356 Tool Kit from Porsche - a rip-off or just nice?

We can continue the Travel Kit discussion here -

Travel kit discussion link on forum:

viewtopic.php?p=128264&hilit=travel#p128264

Resources:

The Document Library on the website contains all of the tech articles on the old website plus every article published in the magazine since the first issue. All are indexed and searchable.

Search the Document Library for "Travel Kit" to find magazine articles and tech articles. Click on the item to obtain the PDF in a separate window. There is no way to provide a direct link to the documents in the library from outside the website. These are listed:

Title A Working Long Distance 356A Travel Kit (V32118)Folder Magazines and Magazine article | Magazine Articles - PDF | V30-39 | V32 Description Using the travel kit to make repairs on the road. Author Bill Collins

Title features - Travel Kits (V03209) Folder Magazines and Magazine article | Magazine Articles - PDF | V01-09 | V03 Description Mike Robbins provides a list of items that he likes to carry on long trips. Author Mike Robbins

Article in Folder: Garage - Technical | Tech articles - Legacy Website
Web 98 Travel Kit List below. (converted from PDF)
Web_98_Travel_Kit_List.jpg
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

William Whited
356 Fan

#38 Post by William Whited »

Thank you very much,
Bill

Al Zim
356 Fan

#39 Post by Al Zim »

After reading the above list my *conclusion* is that you should examine and repair your car before you start on a road trip...not while you are on it. Crimping a metal brake fluid line because of a leak is neither good or safe. I know what it takes to repair a generator (if you can get the parts) You imply this can be done on the road! really.. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

George Hussey
356 Fan

#40 Post by George Hussey »

Generator repair used to easily be done on the road, and here is how: In the 60s and 70s when the generator failed, one would simply pull into a bap/geon store and purchase a Bosch GR12X along with a 9.5x825. belt, install, and resume ones trip!!!

Those were the days
George Hussey

Al Zim
356 Fan

#41 Post by Al Zim »

As far as we can tell there are no generator armatures available and Bosch does not have the ability (read personnel) capable of correctly doing the work. You might get lucky if you have a 68 or 69 Porsche 912 since they use the larger generator and the hardware to successfully install it is present. The sheet metal is different on the 912 than the VW bus.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#42 Post by Steve Douglas »

To make a “Travel Repair Kit” to carry in your 356 requires a bit analysis. You need to identify the parts that you car has, such a type of Carburetors, what distributor, 6 or 12 volt, etc….
These cars can be very reliable, but it takes regular preventative maintenance, and being driven regularly to keep them running well. To ignore the car for months and then decide to go for a big drive is asking for trouble. Change the oil twice a year, flush the brakes at least every 2 years, drive the car long enough to get it warmed up, keep fresh gas or use a fuel stablizer.

Then ask what are you able fix? In a garage, shop, motel or on the roadside? If you are going to an event where there will be other 356s, there may be some help and tools for more advanced repairs. In any case it is having the correct parts that is more important than having lots of tools. At most of our bigger events there is always someone who breaks down, so it’s not just for your car, but to help others.
What has been the failures that I have seen over the years?

Charging & Electrical. Fan belts and pulleys seem to be one failure that stands out more than any other. Carry new inner and outer pulley halves, a few shims, and new belt. Generator Brushes wear down and should be checked fairly often, some “off brands” are very soft and can wear down very quickly. Bearings are replaceable and small and cheap, but it takes someone with some ability to change them. Battery cable connections/clamps are known to corrode and loose connection. (Preventive maintenance) Fuses also corrode, sometimes the heat up trying to pass current thru a poor connection, clean the fuse and mounting at least once a year.

Ignition: condensers and points, the new condensers with green wires are ready to fail before you get them on, keep your old Bosch with the soldered on yellow or black wire. Points, some are having springs breaking and with other the point gaps closes up rapidly due to rubbing block wear. Spark plug failure is rare, but to carry 2 might be wise. Plug wire ends sometimes fail, carry a good one. Terminal connectors on the small wires break off or come loose, carry a few and the crimp tool.

Fuel system: Leaks are the biggest thing I have seen, hoses crack, the banjo fittings come loose and the Zenith jet covers drip. Sometimes there are clogged jets. Fuel pumps fail especially if sitting for a long period and drying out, and that goes for the Petcock too.

Brakes, they do fail. To minimize the, risk service them once a year, flush and inspect the system. There are ways to block off a line, but not advisable. Check the level regularly.

Ignition switch. These take a beating and after 50+ years they fail or break. You can by pass the switch by running a jumper wire from the BAT terminal on the regulator to the + side of the coil, making a “hot wire”, must be taken loose to shut the engine down. Push start the car using 2nd or 3rd gears only.

I have had a kit for many years, updated it periodically and yet have only needed it a few times. I drive mostly within a 100 miles from home so only some of the basics are really needed, enough to get home, where as if I was going hundreds of miles into areas where there are no Porsches, and no parts then a bigger “kit” may be safe to carry.
Here are photos of my travel kit:
#1 is for the generator and electrical stuff. Various Jumper wires, Volt Ohm Meter, V Belt, Pulley Halves and shims, Pulley Nut Wrench, Wire Brush, Battery Post/Clamp Cleaner, Bearings
#2 is Ignition, Distributor Insulation kit, points, 2 condensers, point file, feeler gauge, spark plugs, plug gaping tool.
#3 is Fuel, Zenith carb gasket set, extra jet side cover bolt and sealing washer, Fuel Pump diaphragm, 2’ 5/16 fuel hose, gas cap gasket, petcock rebuild kit and a UniSync.
#4 Tools, Socket set, 19mm to 4mm 3/8 and 1/4” drive. End wrenches 4mm to 17mm, with duplicate 10,13,14, needle nose pliers, pliers/cutter, crimp tool, Vise Grip, Screwdrivers , hold it screwdriver, magnetic pick up tool, pocket knife, 19mm lug wrench, caliper.
#5 Miscellaneous. Gloves Cotton and rubber, Oil Filter Lines, Pernatex #2 form a gasket sealer, epoxy glue, electrical connectors, roll of electrical tape, tire wire, small wires for cleaning out jets, small electrical wires, misc screws, nuts and bolts, Tire Valve Stems .625”, 2 cans (Soup size, that can be inserted into an A T-5B gas filler to get gas for cleaning, and tuna can for holding and cleaning parts)
Not shown is 944 Jack, Fix A Flat in a can, flashlight and head band light, Fire Extinguisher, baby wipes and hand cleaner, reading glasses, roll of paper shop towels, small wooden blocks, and two big garbage bags that can be used as a rain coat or to lay on.
IMG_2942.jpeg
IMG_2940.jpeg
IMG_2943.jpeg
IMG_2948.jpeg
IMG_2945.jpeg

William Whited
356 Fan

#43 Post by William Whited »

Very very helpful
I’m going to join AAA PREMIER!
Ha Ha

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#44 Post by Mark Roth »

William,
No joke. Yesterday I had AAA flatbed my car to a shop 53 miles away. No charge.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#45 Post by Chuck Allard »

Back in the mid-70s my wife and I did a year long body restoration of a Notchback with the goal of visiting my granny in FL for Christmas. We finished up and I stuck in a fresh 356 engine on the afternoon of Dec 23rd. Drove it around the block a couple times and it ran terrible - old Solexes. I swapped out my commuter 912 carbs and it ran great. Packed our clothes and EVERY spare and tool I could think of and took off from Wash DC around midnight with the neighbors cheering. First fuel stop in VA and it wouldn't turn over. Bump started the car and kept going without turning it off for the rest of the trip. Got to Palm Beach on Christmas eve and finally turned off the ignition. Spent a nice Christmas week with granny and tightened up a few grounds, changed the oil, adjusted the valves and the car ran flawlessly back home. I've never carried that many spares and tool again but I'm sure the car felt confident that it was going to be well looked after. They know. Carry spares!