Reutter vs Karmann bodies

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rick Helberg
356 Fan

Reutter vs Karmann bodies

#1 Post by Rick Helberg »

Are there any differences in the body work of one built by Reutter vs one built by Karmann; specifically, in the 1963 T-6, B coupes? Any definitive difference that would identify whether built by Reutter or Karmann ? Also, I know that my Reutter coupe has partial VIN stamped onto front hood hinge. Will the Karmann bodies also have VIN stamped onto other body parts ? Thanks for any replies.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Reutter vs Karmann bodies

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

A couple of differences. Karmann-bodied cars have drain holes in the longitudinals and two holes in the pan at the rear of the tunnel. Others more knowledgeable will know other differences ( and correct me if I am in error).

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Rick If you are talking about differences in a body shell after stripping then the small holes in the Longitudinals and rear pan as Mike mentioned plus larger 50mm drain plugs under the rear seats and on the floor pan and battery box floor. Also drain holes under the rear quarter windows are a Karmann thing as is "stand offs" where the lower luggage straps mount to the verticle metal. Yes there should be the secret chassis number on the right door hing plate. I am not sure if 63 T6B has the doors stamped but I think that they do but T6C/SC Karmann doors do not have numbers stamped on my 2 friends cars, both C's. What say you on door stampings Mike since you have a 63? Now front hood is different, Karmann stamped the upper latch of the front hood on T6B and the upper tongue of the rear hatch mechanism which is different from the Reutter/Porsche bodied cars. With the latch changes introduced on the C series bodies Karmann continued with the rear engine cover upper latch tongue being stamped but the front hood changed and the upper latch was no longer stamped but most often last 2 are on Passengers side just in front of the hinge plate attachment. There may be more differences but these are what I am aware of. Tom Perazzo's Project has some nice photos of the longitudinal holes and 50mm drain holes: viewtopic.php?t=20893&start=15
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

All Reutter coupes I have owned had drain holes under the pop outs. I believe that was standard on all coupes from very early on, to get rid of the inevitable standing water.

One of those things that easily gets overlooked in a resto when they straighten the body, the holes are filled, forgotten and the car gets painted. You can usually spot the 'worm' when looking up the rear wheel house.

+1 on longitudinal and floor drains.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks Jules. I was unaware of them on Reutter/Porsche bodies.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

The next time I have my door panels off, I'll check for numbers. I'm pretty sure the window regulators were stamped but can't recall the doors themselves.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Chuck House »

Besides drain holes mentioned, Karmann cars do not have a soundproof pad on the fuel tank like Reutter cars. Also the underside of the hood is undercoated before painting... mine has a faint 2 digit stamp on the lower part of the door under the door panel. Easy to miss. Same with hood stamp on forward right hinge mount. Also easy to miss. Hood bolts have flat and split washers like Drauz cars. Reutter only used a bolt and nut, no washers...
Chuck House
Southern California

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Chuck House »

This particular one is a Nov '64 production.

Attachments
3BA5EF98-EA3F-4FB7-BF5D-08FF997BDBBC.jpeg
5E7D10BF-BCDD-462F-AFC8-880002217012.jpeg
24CD35A1-DA3A-4004-8FDD-9E54BC593F0D.jpeg
Chuck House
Southern California

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks for those photos Chuck. I sent them to my friend who is redoing his wife's Karmann Coupe that she bought in college many moons ago. We had looked in the area where my Porsche Bodied C doors have the numbers and found none. Of interest their chassis ends in 04 and only the final digit 4 is on the hood passengers side hinge plate and deck lid upper latch tongue. No 0

Al Zim
356 Fan

#10 Post by Al Zim »

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT REAR WINDOW SEAL IS UNIQUE TO EACH MANUFACTURER. DOUG!.. Thanks for the correction Dallas/Ft. Worth has been snowed in all week I lost my mind to cabin fever. al
Last edited by Al Zim on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Windshields yes. Rear???

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Front windshield rubber differs. Reutter is narrower than Karmann.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

And I think some people use the Karman rubber for both
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#14 Post by Tom Perazzo »

John Pierce and I collected and shared notes along time ago regarding the undercarriage drains and plugs. We have dimensions and details if you need. I can reproduce the karmann floor and battery plugs if anyone needs them. They still require welding however unless you send me your entire floor.
Same with the longitudinal dimples. I have a tool that reproduces them.

Karmann sound insulation is very different than Reutter cars. Karmann used more jute backed material in the interior and engine bay versus the tar stuff.
To my knowledge Karmann gas tanks got the same tar pad, but that's not to say some cars went without any pads. Anything is possible.

My car is not an original example anymore, but lots of care went into reproducing the karmann details if anyone is interested.

Shoot, I even softened the repro floor pan stampings with a hammer and dolly, sheesh I'm nuts!

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Martin Benade wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:47 pm And I think some people use the Karman rubber for both
Yes Martin I remember reading a post by Bruce Baker saying he used the Karmann windshield seal for both chassis.