learning the hard way... my '62 Coupe.

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: learning the hard way... my '62 Coupe.

#61 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm very surprised that the shop that did the latest rebuild would allow the car to leave the shop with linkages like that. It can only serve to make their rebuild perform less than intended and that reflects badly on them.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#62 Post by Brian R Adams »

Jacques Lefriant wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 pm Hi Peter
when the conversion to Webers was a popular option the proper arms were supplied. since the carbs could be installed on about any engine they left the installation to the installer now to correct the geometry.
j
When I ran Webers I spent a lot of time getting the linkage geometry just right, so that viewed from the side, the L & R pushrods were in the same plane. Another way to visualize it is the L & R ball studs were both the same horizontal distance (2-1/8")from the vertical rear face of the fan housing. I used a stand-off between the ball stud and the passenger-side carb's throttle arm, and placed the ball/stand-off on the forward side of the arm.
-
DSCF0057.JPG
Driver side, fan housing to the right:
DSCF0083.JPG
Passenger side, fan housing to the left:
DSCF0081.JPG
-
Also it's worth making sure the two long levers off the top of the fan housing are "splayed" outboard symmetrically (only one shown here.)
-
DSCF0092.JPG
-
Last edited by Brian R Adams on Mon May 01, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#63 Post by Peter Schueren »

Hello Wes,
I have given up to be surprised.. really good work is something that you will not find easily. I try to get a good car and I am really thankfull for the support in our forum.
But just to give an impression of the problems: I yesterday talked to the small workshop that is the most famous for its work on adjusting and repairing Weber Carbs in Germany. It is run by a Woman - Annette Hue ; they are booked until November...There is another one, more expensive and bigger in Cologne - Viktor Günther GmbH / VGS-Motorsport.. But I can only hope to get an appointment in June...
I am sure you have the same problems in the USA. So let us cry a little bit and try to get it right.
Peter

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#64 Post by Mark Roth »

Peter,
I also have a 1720cc engine. The increase in displacement from 1600 to 1720 is not making the dramatic difference in performance you feel. I’m not sure of the standard increase in performance but I recall that it is very small. I’m sure someone on the forum would know.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#65 Post by Martin Benade »

Maybe someone can say where to purchase the correct linkage carb levers so Peter can show up with the needed parts in hand.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#66 Post by Peter Schueren »

I think I am on a good way already.. the people who rebuilt the engine will get it back and I will tell them to take a look at the linkage and get it right.
Thank you for your support!!!!! It is great to be part of this community!!!

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#67 Post by Peter Schueren »

Mark Roth wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:23 am Peter,
I also have a 1720cc engine. The increase in displacement from 1600 to 1720 is not making the dramatic difference in performance you feel. I’m not sure of the standard increase in performance but I recall that it is very small. I’m sure someone on the forum would know.
Hello Mark,
when you look at post 41 you can see the output of my engine as it is now during the test run.The original "S" engine from 1962 reached a maximum torque of 86 ft. lbs. It is now at about a 105 ft. lbs. But mor important: It is above 93 ft. lbs from 2300 rpm onwards.
As I told before: I did not want tuned engine but the old case could not be rebuilt to original specificatins (so I was told...)
Peter

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#68 Post by Martin Benade »

The fancy new crank and bearings could have been combined with an original state of tune, but you’ll probably enjoy the perkier version
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#69 Post by Peter Schueren »

Oh Martin, it was not fancy from my side.. I would have prefered my old engine running and giving no problems... it would have saved me an awfull lot of money
Last edited by Peter Schueren on Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#70 Post by Brian R Adams »

Peter Schueren wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:06 am I am sure you have the same problems in the USA.
One of the Weber experts in the USA is Auggie Delgado in SoCal, if he's still around.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#71 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Peter
You are in the same predicament as most of us. If you cannot do your own work and have access to outside vendors that are competent you have to entrust a shop. From their prospective they usually don't want to do the job since it is out of their comfort level and not marginally profitable. They will not take a chance on say crankshafts that could be at the "end of life" due to fatigue and they don't have any experience in all the tradeoff that are involved. You are lucky that Andenhof is one of the best in the world from what i understand.
j

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#72 Post by Peter Schueren »

Jacques, these are kind words. Ahnendorf seem to be a rather profitable company. there are others too that live quite well on those people with their old (and very expensive) cars. These old Porsche 356 are getting really expensive. And when I meet other people who own such a car they are mostly rather old and well-to-do. And when I look at myself that is probably the correct description. Those in the MG-crowd neve liked the Porsche folks much as they claim those people are bit snooty.
On the other hand my impression is that a lot of nice people take care of these old 356 and keep them going.
P

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#73 Post by Peter Schueren »

Linkage and arms... now the original arms new from Porsche are installed...(I think they are made from pure gold looking at the price..... And the car is idling again. It seems I can drive it a bit before the great Weber-tune up is done at the special Workshop in Cologne.
Thank you for your support.
Peter

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#74 Post by Martin Benade »

Solex arms fit the Webers?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Peter Schueren
356 Fan

#75 Post by Peter Schueren »

I can only say that the car runs better now..
but in the End the Weber-people in Cologne will get it right. But I presume that those Webers need to open in a synchronized way like any other carb...
It is a shame but that is all I know.
Peter