1960 model Porsche 356 BT5 Roadster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Trond Vidar
356 Fan

1960 model Porsche 356 BT5 Roadster

#1 Post by Trond Vidar »

I have been considering getting an open 356, any input on this one for sale here in Norway?

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=280975347

It seem to be in the VIN database, the info from the database is not very good though. "Parted" back in 2003, it was not very expensive back then but still, "Parted".
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 19.56.59.png
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: 1960 model Porsche 356 BT5 Roadster

#2 Post by John Brooks »

It has the Italian delivery running lights on the fender, database says California in 03. I would look at the paperwork and numbers very closely. nice car from 10'

the dealer web site says Sold new in the USA, came to Switzerland in the 70s and then to Norway in 2016. strange dates. and expensive at 1,795,000.00 Norwegian Kroner = $181,716.22 US Dollars
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

There are no underside shots, or internal metal shots. This is where you can run into trouble on a car that has been restored.

I would go look at the car with someone you consider an expert, pay them if you have to, it is money well spent to not buy a car, or have a piece of mind for one you did.

Roadsters are great, I love mine!
Attachments
road22me.jpg
road22.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#4 Post by Scott McAdams »

Does it have a Kardex? That would be a good way to help validate the car's history.
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scott McAdams »

Does it have a Kardex? That would be a good way to help validate the car's history.
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#6 Post by Trond Vidar »

Thanks everyone, yes I will have to go through the chassi very thorough on this car, up on the lift and check. I have done the floor and longitudinal job twice myself back in the late 1990's and should hopefully still be able to validate the quality of the chassi.

I do not think it has a Kardex but I will try go see the car and ask the sales person, it is for sale at an official "Porsche Classic" center but that does not really qualify the car. I suppose they have inspected the car before putting it up for sale though.

However it does not make sense if it was parted in California back in 2003. The quality of the VIN database may be so-so but still it nails it as a T5 Roadster and this make me believe the note in the vin database has truth to it. It is not new that sellers make up a pretty history of their cars though. If it has the original engine it would strengthen the Switzerland history though. Switzerland and Italy does have a lot of common regulations, maybe they running lights were installed to apply.

Nice color combination but Ivory with black interior (said to be original) would suit me better though.
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Trond Vidar wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:51 am Thanks everyone, yes I will have to go through the chassi very thorough on this car, up on the lift and check. I have done the floor and longitudinal job twice myself back in the late 1990's and should hopefully still be able to validate the quality of the chassi.

I do not think it has a Kardex but I will try go see the car and ask the sales person, it is for sale at an official "Porsche Classic" center but that does not really qualify the car. I suppose they have inspected the car before putting it up for sale though.

However it does not make sense if it was parted in California back in 2003. The quality of the VIN database may be so-so but still it nails it as a T5 Roadster and this make me believe the note in the vin database has truth to it. It is not new that sellers make up a pretty history of their cars though. If it has the original engine it would strengthen the Switzerland history though. Switzerland and Italy does have a lot of common regulations, maybe they running lights were installed to apply.

Nice color combination but Ivory with black interior (said to be original) would suit me better though.
I wouldn't put too much weight on the history of being "parted". I've bought and sold many a car that has a record of "parted" or "scrapped", only because someone sold it as such, doesn't mean it happened. What was junk 20-40 years ago is now "restorable" and the values of these cars are so high you can put six digits into a restoration and still come out ok.
In terms of the dealer being a Porsche Classic center, give that little weight, they are a car dealer, and one that probably isn't very well versed in the 356. I've spoken to Classic Dealers and quickly realized I knew far more then them. As far as the car having the Kardex or not, they need to show you something to back up that it is the original engine.
Good luck and keep us posted.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Wurner »

Hallo Trond
The car is well worth exploring.
If it is a numbers matching example the price is OK compared what the US prices bring.
I have one, vin 87809, and compared to the Speedsters and Convertibel D's I have owned, I much prefer this as a great driver.
Having someone with knowledge of these cars inspect her for you is worth the cost.
Incidentally, I have a Nephew in Hafrsfjord who has a dental practice there.
Attachments
18 June 22.jpg

Al Zim
356 Fan

#9 Post by Al Zim »

I would suggest that you look at the front of the transmission does it have one mount or two. Single mount transmissions were a bad idea from Porsche that were quickly discontinued. Parts for the front transmission mount are difficult to obtain.
These were cheap cars by Porsche standards the roof always leaked even if the owner remembered to close it. It was a basic car and was probably beat to death. Make sure you have the brass windshield frame the Aluminum one was a cheap mistake by the manufacturer.. NEVER PURCHASE A D' INTERINE CAR.
You are going to have a gear shift system that is worse than horrible. After market solutions are available but NOT cheap. They are the only way to go. On your information on what has been done look at the front end restoration service with emphasis king pin and trailing arm service. See the factory tools touch the factory tool from the repair shop as shown in the shop manual. No new parts are available. You are always welcome to text me for mechanical advice. al@allzim.com
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Zim wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:04 pm I would suggest that you look at the front of the transmission does it have one mount or two. Single mount transmissions were a bad idea from Porsche that were quickly discontinued. Parts for the front transmission mount are difficult to obtain.
These were cheap cars by Porsche standards the roof always leaked even if the owner remembered to close it. It was a basic car and was probably beat to death. Make sure you have the brass windshield frame the Aluminum one was a cheap mistake by the manufacturer.. NEVER PURCHASE A D' INTERINE CAR.
You are going to have a gear shift system that is worse than horrible. After market solutions are available but NOT cheap. They are the only way to go. On your information on what has been done look at the front end restoration service with emphasis king pin and trailing arm service. See the factory tools touch the factory tool from the repair shop as shown in the shop manual. No new parts are available. You are always welcome to text me for mechanical advice. al@allzim.com
I don't think there was ever an aluminum windshield frame, the D's had a brass posts on the side and brass in the middle, the Roadsters mostly had pot metal posts on the sides with brass in the middle. I think most Roadsters are wearing their original ones, sixty three years later, they seem to be doing fine on my car.
There were also only a very few D'Ieteren ones in the single grill cars, I've only had a few, rather then the majority of the ones built by Drauz.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

Adam: you are correct about the metal used in the windshield. I will try to remember where I saw the roadster serial numbers for the change of manufacturer.
NOT in the factory shop letters. IT CHANGES WITH CHASSIS 87316 according the the 356B parts book. I think the book is incorrect because it shows the change in early 1961 1962 car had pot metal for Shure. al
Last edited by Al Zim on Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Schmid »

All of the 1960 Roadsters were bodied by Drauz. My son's 1960 Roadster (87724) has the twin front transmission mounts, so I am willing to bet that this car, being 300+ cars later, will have the twin mounts as well.

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#13 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

So that leaves the “worse than horrible” shifter critique.
If my roadster shifted any smoother, it would feel like an automatic. Nylon bushings are easy parts to find😊
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jon Schmid »

Randy Mittelstet wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:11 pm So that leaves the “worse than horrible” shifter critique.
If my roadster shifted any smoother, it would feel like an automatic. Nylon bushings are easy parts to find😊
+2. I drove "my" Roadster for 47 years and it shifted just fine. 8-)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Adam Wright »

Jon Schmid wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:53 pm
Randy Mittelstet wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:11 pm So that leaves the “worse than horrible” shifter critique.
+2. I drove "my" Roadster for 47 years and it shifted just fine. 8-)
356's do need the shifting maintained to stay healthy. When I got my Roadster is was a little sloppy in shifting but I had inadvertently bought a car locally that shifted great. He told me who his mechanic was, I took my car there and now he works on all my cars. I said to make my car shift like the other one, he did, that was 10 years ago and man it still shifts wonderfully.
Attachments
bavroad2.jpg
bavroad1.jpg
bavarianrocketscience.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com