Delay in starting the engine

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Larry Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Delay in starting the engine

#16 Post by Larry Brooks »

My 1962 had the same problem a few months ago. I checked the voltage to the Solenoid spade connector and it was fine. So I put in a rebuilt starter I had on the shelf - problem solved. Took the original starter to my rebuilder who had the same delay when he tested it on his bench. I had him rebuild the original starter and replace the solenoid since I try to have a fresh starter, generator and distributor on the shelf for future issues.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#17 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I think the problem was/is the solenoid, not the switch, the wiring or the battery.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#18 Post by Al Zim »

I realize that most of us are old! Which makes it difficult to crawl under the dash to do wiring.
** !) BUT NOT CORRECTLY INSTALLING AND MOUNTING ELECTRICAL PARTS CAN ONLY LEED TO A DISASTER!! **
**2) ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS THAT WERE AVAILABLE IN THE PAST COULD BE QUESTIONABALE FOR CURRENT APPLICATION. MANY NEW PRODUCTS ARE AVAILABLE THAT WILL GIVE BETTER RESULTS.
**3) It is extremely difficult (read impossible) to obtain quality 6 volt armatures and find a qualified business that can properly install them on the generators and starters.
***4) if you have the LAST PRODUCTION 356 (April 30, 1965) your wiring is 58 years old. ****
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF INSURANCE ON THE 356. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Al Zim
356 Fan

#19 Post by Al Zim »

With the advent of the SC/912 engine in the summer of 1963 unique characteristics of these engines from wear caused stating situations. It was not till the advent of the Aluminum distributor on the 912 that a step in the correct direction was initiated. Unfortunately the Solex carburetors were already wearing out on the throttle plates and the cross shaft. ON THE C (Zenith carburetors) heat was the cause of hard starting after the engine had been driven the fuel boiled out of the bowl of the carburetor. This situation will be addressed in the March issue of the Registry. There are other things that will assist in this situation but I am not allowed to advertise parts in TALK. Zim 817-267-4451
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#20 Post by Wes Bender »

Edited to tone it down a bit (and add a few comments).

Stop shouting at us, Al!

We appreciate that you have a lot of experience with these cars and that your shop probably does very high quality work. However, it really gets old when you constantly reply to some simple question about the cars with your same old diatribe about how old these cars are and that they are in terrible condition. We should all convert our cars to 12 volts because 6 volt stuff is no longer available. According to your philosophy none of us know how to properly maintain our cars. We also can't properly align them without the proper alignment jig and it is impossible for us to rebuild our engines without having all of the factory tools. Maybe most of the cars you see in your shop arrive there in poor condition, but many of us actually do maintain our cars and maintain them well.

It appears that all of your negative comments stem from the fact that your shop provides the services necessary to correct all of the items that you tell us is wrong with our cars. I guess I can understand your position, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's right.

It would be refreshing to see you offer good advice on problems without going off the deep end. You now state that you can't do that because you've been warned. You are still inviting people to call you to discuss. That's BS. Why not contribute in a helpful, respectful, friendly way? We still love you, but it is getting increasing difficult.
Last edited by Wes Bender on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#21 Post by Thomas Sottile »

What is the big deal with Al kusing capital letters he is just showing what he feels is important in his text cool out

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#22 Post by Martin Benade »

That last post only had three all caps words in it I’d say Al is in recovery and doing well.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#23 Post by Bruce Smith »

Al Zim wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:20 pm I realize that most of us are old! Which makes it difficult to crawl under the dash to do wiring.
** !) BUT NOT CORRECTLY INSTALLING AND MOUNTING ELECTRICAL PARTS CAN ONLY LEED TO A DISASTER!! **
**2) ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS THAT WERE AVAILABLE IN THE PAST COULD BE QUESTIONABALE FOR CURRENT APPLICATION. MANY NEW PRODUCTS ARE AVAILABLE THAT WILL GIVE BETTER RESULTS.
**3) It is extremely difficult (read impossible) to obtain quality 6 volt armatures and find a qualified business that can properly install them on the generators and starters.
***4) if you have the LAST PRODUCTION 356 (April 30, 1965) your wiring is 58 years old. ****
Unreadable
Bruce Smith

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jules Dielen »

Bruce Smith wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:18 pm
Al Zim wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:20 pm I realize that most of us are old! Which makes it difficult to crawl under the dash to do wiring.
Unreadable
He is basically stating our cars are all unsafe to drive, over and over and over again. Give me a call if you would like to donate it. I will make room.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#25 Post by Mark Roth »

Back on topic.
I said that I would post Joe Leoni's and Tony Euganeo's Sure Start Relay wiring diagrams. Joe's mounts on the starter. Tony's had a bracket that went behind the ignition switch.
I don't think Tony sells his anymore. Here they are. It looks to me that the circuits are the same.
SSr0001Euganeo.jpg
SSr0001Leoni.jpg
SSr0002Leoni.jpg
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Al Zim
356 Fan

#26 Post by Al Zim »

No more capital letters! al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Benade »

Very nice!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#28 Post by John Hearn »

"No more capital letters! al zim"
The tablets must be working or the caps lock/shift is broken............
Send to an alignment shop.
KTF
John