T5 B Travel Kit Blue Roll

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Haas
356 Fan

T5 B Travel Kit Blue Roll

#1 Post by Jim Haas »

Gentlemen,

I have a completely original 'very late T5 B Travel Kit. There is one item missing. The bulb kit.

I have seen about a dozen pictures of the contents and two different bulb kits are shown.

Osram Orange and Blue or the Phillips Yellow and Blue

Which would be correct?

My car was built in October '61 but is a '62 T6. There are about 20-30 T5 components in the car so i was not surprised that a late T5 Travel Kit came with the car. My Tool Kit is also a completely original and complete T5 as sell. It is also missing just one tool. The red handled generator or duckbill screwdriver. I guess Porsche still had a lot of T5 Kits to put in early T6 cars
Jim Haas
1962 B T6 Coupe
Vin 117920

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Re: T5 B Travel Kit Blue Roll

#2 Post by Bruce Smith »

Hi Jim. I've owned three kits like yours. Two had Osram orange and blue bulb boxes and one was Philips yellow and blue. So either could be right.
Bruce Smith

Jim Haas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Haas »

Thanks.

The only consistent thing about Porsche is that it is inconsistent. :-)

Whatever was in the bin was the next thing to use until the bin was empty.
Jim Haas
1962 B T6 Coupe
Vin 117920

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

Back in the day the factory was more concerned with getting the product to their customers than worrying that it might have come from a different supplier. There were quite a few items that they bought from more than one source. I doubt that they had any thoughts about how you and I would be trying to determine what was exactly correct some 60 to 65 years later.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Haas
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Haas »

It certainly seems that way. I have about 15 components that are T5 in my car as well as several items that were changed by Porsche after 6 months of production. Better design changes were part of it. It sure does make putting the car back together the way it came off the line difficult.
Thankfully this car is 100% finished.
Jim Haas
1962 B T6 Coupe
Vin 117920

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Douglas »

I too have been puzzled about what bulb kits were supplied in travel kits. I have had a few over the years. The Philips Blue and Yellow (diagonal split box) kit doesn't have any headlight bulbs, so possibly for countries where sealed beams were used? The Osram orange or blue base with clear plastic dome lid had the headlight bulb P45t, for the 1959 and later European headlights, 40/45 watt. There were different styles of the domed boxes,Osram, Hella, Fischer some were 12 volt, VW or other cars, covers in clear, blue, orange, yellow, and bases in blue and orange. There were Philips square boxes with blue or orange bases and clear covers, these seem to have been from the later 60's, and sold by Stoddard into the 80s. In about 1964 the grey clamshell box came out, mostly for 911/912, but have seen a few in 6volt, and two original '65 C travel kits had these (along with the clear Prudenz fuses). The square boxes and clamshell style don't fit in the bag well, if used with the early style fuel pump kit, but do ok with the smaller later pump diaphragm.
Two friends picked their cars up tourist delivery and purchased travel kits at the "factory store". These were made up to match the car, (Normal/super or Super90) while they waited, so items could vary, as to what they had in stock, engine type, carburetor type and even the headlight type.
Photos of some of the various types attached
osram-bulbs-kit-germany-or-1.jpeg
vw-k70-autolampen-5.jpeg
vw-k70-autolampen-5.jpeg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 192 times
9621988.jpeg
9621988.jpeg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 192 times
9546003.jpeg
9546003.jpeg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Jim Haas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Haas »

Thank you Steve for all this info. My car was purchased in Germany and driven around Germany for about 7,000 km then shipped to the US. I am leaning toward the Osram orange and blue kit. I will never know which one can in the car. At the end of the day it may not matter.
Jim Haas
1962 B T6 Coupe
Vin 117920