New to the 356 Community

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: New to the 356 Community

#46 Post by Mike Wilson »

He certainly does!

Mike
Attachments
57A00F40-5003-4D93-B4E5-676CAF907FC7.jpeg
118E1194-EEBB-42D3-8FFB-AFB9080BED4D.jpeg
D6B0DC7E-9BE5-4B4A-A191-94F43796AE51.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

William Whited
356 Fan
Tag: Cars are my Vice

#47 Post by William Whited »

Cameron, how is it going now with driving the previous owner of the 356?

Tony Madsen
356 Fan
Tag: I find dreams; you make them reality.
Instagram: germanjalopies

#48 Post by Tony Madsen »

Cameron-welcome and I think that is very kind to take the longtime owner for a last ride and especially that you are using your 912 engine. If I or anyone else can be of assistance, let us know. As I say to people when they thank me for guidance or information, kindness is free. Again, that is very kind of you to do that for your friend's Dad.
See my 1957 speedster "backyard find" story in September\October 356registry magazine. I am always looking for an old Porsche to write stories about or interesting stories about an old Porsche to relay for the magazine.
germanjalopies.com

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#49 Post by Cameron Permstein »

Here's an update. The car has been sorted from 2 weeks ago, I am just waiting for the go head for the "RIDE" I am hoping this weekend we do this thing.

The car has been registered and insured.
All the gauges work.
All the lights work correctly, even the interior lights come on when the door is opened and closed
New Tires
New gas tank, sender and petcock.
New Horn Rubber and horn pin
Repaired the Turn signal switch
Steam Cleaned the Seat Belts
New Front and Rear Shocks
New Steering Coupler
New Voltage Regulator
Restored the Dizzy
I tired repairing the clock but there's one broken part that connects to the balance wheel, so that's a bummer.

Over the weekend, I picked up some parts.
Euro heat exchangers
Euro Muffler
Aftermarket 356 Key Fob
Euro Rear lights (I don't know if I like them that much, the brake lights are Orange)
Aftermarket Luggage Straps

Things I still need/want, please let me know if you have these parts.
I need 2 euro muffler brackets that connects to the third piece. I can get some from Porsche, but not really looking forward to pay $75 each, so I am hoping someone as a set for a lot less.
I don't need it but It would be rad, is a horn ring button for the steering wheel.
Spyder Mirror (per the kardex)

Today, I took the car out for it's longest trip, 20miles and the car didn't miss a beat except that 3rd gear is bad, either you cant get into third or it pops out of it, most likely a bad syncro. Also, the trans leaks like a sieve, but I will address both of those issues once the "drive" happens. I will go through the trans and replace what is needed. The previous owner has some serious chamber going on and will need to ask him about that. Now it's just a waiting game, I am hoping this weekend it will get done!!! I CANT WAIT.
Attachments
20230222_172937.jpg
20230225_153716.jpg
20230226_132647.jpg
20230225_153446.jpg
20230226_131307.jpg
20230219_200528.jpg
20230222_165501.jpg
20230216_155926.jpg
20230216_101946.jpg
20230215_112752.jpg
Last edited by Cameron Permstein on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#50 Post by Cameron Permstein »

On a Side note,
The daughter-in-law says he's grumpy so don't give my hopes up.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230227-183455_Instagram.jpg
20230227_120615.jpg

Al Zim
356 Fan

#51 Post by Al Zim »

Keep your shop manual handy! it is your best source for any service you intend to do. Zim You are always welcome to call us for advice. 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#52 Post by Cameron Permstein »

WE ARE ON FOR SUNDAY!!!!!!!! OMG CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230302-212426_Messages.jpg

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#53 Post by Michael Branning »

See if he will let you record him on video telling the stories.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#54 Post by Chris Davis »

Outstanding!

The chance to hear the highlights of the previous long-term owner's history with the car seems to be an increasingly rare thing. Well worth the effort in my mind, but I know it was a lot of work to get the car ready for the drive.

If time allows, you really should pick up a can of boiled linseed oil from Home Depot today and try it on that paint tomorrow. Doesn't take long and has amazing results. That said, it doesn't last long either. It will fade back in a few weeks. (You should also be careful with the oil soaked application rags after you're done, as spontaneous combustion is a real danger with this oil in particular.)

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#55 Post by Spencer Harris »

Cameron Permstein wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:36 pm Today, I took the car out for it's longest trip, 20miles and the car didn't miss a beat except that 3rd gear is bad, either you cant get into third or it pops out of it, most likely a bad syncro.
Try double-clutching when you shift into third gear.
This is an amazing story, Cameron. I'll bet you get lots of smiles from the PO. :D
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#56 Post by Cameron Permstein »

Chris Davis wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:45 pm Outstanding!

The chance to hear the highlights of the previous long-term owner's history with the car seems to be an increasingly rare thing. Well worth the effort in my mind, but I know it was a lot of work to get the car ready for the drive.

If time allows, you really should pick up a can of boiled linseed oil from Home Depot today and try it on that paint tomorrow. Doesn't take long and has amazing results. That said, it doesn't last long either. It will fade back in a few weeks. (You should also be careful with the oil soaked application rags after you're done, as spontaneous combustion is a real danger with this oil in particular.)
I really like the dirt and patina on the car, and I feel like it would remove the dirt. The car looks like a rolling barn find, and I get a lot of thumbs up with it.
Spencer Harris wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:46 pm
Cameron Permstein wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:36 pm Today, I took the car out for it's longest trip, 20miles and the car didn't miss a beat except that 3rd gear is bad, either you cant get into third or it pops out of it, most likely a bad syncro.
Try double-clutching when you shift into third gear.
This is an amazing story, Cameron. I'll bet you get lots of smiles from the PO. :D
I have already tried to double clutch it, but it keeps throwing it out of gear as soon as I release the clutch. Great advice though :)

Michael Mccormick
356 Fan

#57 Post by Michael Mccormick »

Hello Cameron- hope the ride goes well for you and the previous owner tomorrow. You have made great progress on your new/old car in a very short time. You might check to assure the shifter linkage adjustment is correct before assuming the 3rd gear issue is something internal. I had the same issue on my 1960 Super- I was able to resolve the issue by adjusting the shifter- search for Vic Skirmants (many) posts on how to adjust the shifter. It's quick and easy. If it doesn't solve the problem, you can move on from there. My 1960 Cab trans is leaking from the front shifter shaft seal- I'm waiting for the new seal to arrive from Stoddard... it is a common transmission oil leak culprit among our old cars. Stoddard has the seals in stock for between $3-4 dollars plus shipping... happy trails!

Steve Newland
356 Fan

#58 Post by Steve Newland »

+1 on Michael’s suggestion.
I had a gearbox expert tell me my 1960 coupe needed a full gearbox rebuild when I “lost” third gear.
A good friend in our club recommended I check shifter adjustment and it was sorted easily.
Here’s a link with Vic’s advice: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24617&p=110343&hili ... nt#p110343
Steve Newland
Brisbane, Australia

Michael Mccormick
356 Fan

#59 Post by Michael Mccormick »

Hello again Cameron- Hope the drive with the former owner happened for you and him today. As I said yesterday, adjusting the shifter to make sure you can fully engage all four forward gears and reverse is pretty easy and done by loosening the three allen bolts that hold the shifter assembly down. Steve N provided a link to a more detailed explanation from Vic Skirmants. I think most, nearly all new 356 owners have to adjust the shifter at some point- most of us go from not having a clue to getting pretty good at it fairly quickly, largely due to Vic's directions.

If the transmission leak is a result of the shifter seal leaking, the replacement of the seal might not go as quick and easy as you would hope. Search 'shifter seal' on this forum and you'll see a variety of member's experience with replacing this common leak. I dug into my leaky 1960's shifter seal today. It is an old aluminum/alloy covered seal... and it's being difficult to get it out. I bought the interesting seal removal tool many 356 Registry members have purchased and used. So far, I'm basically tearing up the the aluminum/alloy outer cover trying to get the cover and old seal inside to come off the shifter shaft. I think a few of the other posters here from a few years called it a P.I.T.A. I have one new seal coming from Stoddard that should be here tomorrow. After reading some of the other posts, perhaps I should have bought more than one in case I damage the new one putting it back in. Once again, Vic Skirmants has provided some practical advice for installing the new seal once the old one is out and I'm sure the shaft is not damaged. Thank you Vic for sharing some much appreciated knowledge with us!

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#60 Post by Dick Weiss »

Cameron,

You're destined to spend a lotta time replacing a 912 engine into a 356: As some others
mentioned, it would be easier to rebuild the 356 engine unless your time is restricted
to give your friend a last ride before he passes.

The lower studs in the case may not come out easily so it's easier to add spacers or washers
to prevent bottoming-out the nuts on the stud threads.