New to the 356 Community

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: New to the 356 Community

#16 Post by Greg Bryan »

12volt.PNG
And it is all 12 volt as I just noticed this label on the motor in your picture ...
Greg Bryan

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#17 Post by Cameron Permstein »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:58 pm Welcome and good luck. Don't throw away any of the European heater parts as many are NLA even though heat may be some what optional where you live. If you will have USA heat with your other engine installed you will need to change the heater pull cable to USA length. Is that an aftermarket gas heater in the front trunk? Or a fresh air blower?
I like to keep my cars pretty stock so, I will be keeping almost everything. Sadly the Euro heater boxes aren't with the car. I guess the current muffler is a quad tip "trash" muffler from the 70's, not my words. I will need to find a nice set of Euro heat exchangers. I already order the "S" pipes and tips so that the exhaust will come out the rear bumpers. Yes that is a Aftermarket gas heater, from what I recall it says it's for 356 and VW's. Uses a "T" connector from the gas tank and has it's own coil to start up. I think the 2 left switches on the dash turn it on but I haven't done much recon with it.
Mike Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:32 pm You are undertaking an admirable project.

Mike
Thank you!
Michael Branning wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:15 pm
Cameron Permstein wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:51 pm Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I am only putting my 912 engine in so that I can give the gentleman whom I purchased the car from a ride before he passes away. The doctors only gave him 1 to 4 months to live. I don't really have time to wait for Walt to finish, the last engine he machined for me took over 5 months.
That's a wonderful gesture! Welcome to the club and we'll do our best to help you.
Thank you!
Vincent Gillespie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:48 pm Hello from the UK,

just a thought re.' getting her up and running' in a short time for your brilliant goal, over here I'd start with the guys I know and trust, G.B, C.G, PRS (You know who you are) tell them what my plan is and I have no doubt it would be done.

Despite the odd curmudgeon on here, whose hearts really are in the 356/right place, this community has been nothing but brilliantly bloody helpful to us, so may I suggest you reach out and ask for the help you need to get the car up and running in the time frame you need, even if it's as off the wall as 'anyone got an engine I could borrow for a few weeks'.

I'm sure the reaction will be the same as over here when these guys came to my rescue, eg only last September, after 1 phone call late Sat evening, Gordon Bond incapacitated his car to loan me a part so I could fulfil a promise to be somewhere on the Sunday.

It will be so worth it, we have been really fortunate to have been able to meet 5 of the 6 owners (the 6th is no longer with us) of KCT, our '55, and to see their reaction is simply wonderful & brings a tear to your eye.

V&S
So far everyone has been awesome! Day 2 :D
Greg Bryan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:06 pm Cammeron - I have a '63 engine spare that I can temporarily loan you for the last ride - it's ready to install, clutch to muffler. I just removed it from my car yesterday as I finished another motor for it.
I'm in the South Bay area of Los Angeles
Greg
That would make the install a bit better. That way I don't have to change to the mechanical tach plate, install the 190mm flywheel (recalculate the thrust bearing because the Super 90 flywheel is shorter), change/remove the engine tin and carb cleaners, and change out the lower studs that mount to the trans because they are shorter on the 356 than the 912. Is your engine a 6v, because this car is 12v, and I don't know if there will be any issues there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Currently all the brake lines and master cylinder have been removed. All the bolts and banjos have been removed, soaked in Carb cleaner and then sonic cleaned. I still have the old wheel cylinders still inside the brakes, I will remove them once all the parts come in. I ordered all new brake lines, master cylinder and wheel cylinders. To make it easier for me I am just going to mount the brake lines and fuel on the bottom side of the pan. Yes it's not that safe but I am not planning on driving the car that long.. The gas tank will be a small tank from a Diesel heater. I ordered a new Hi Torque starter for the 190mm fly wheel. I just hope the trans is okay, if that's fine then it's brakes, gas, motor and no problems ;) AS OF RIGHT NOW.

As I am waiting for the parts, my neighbor had some dry ice, so I used it for removing the tar and horse hair from the hood area. It worked out very well.
Attachments
20230119_113526.jpg

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#18 Post by Graeme Langford »

Hello Cameron, another UK member here. What an awesome gesture in getting the 356 back together for your friends last ride.
They are a great bunch of people on here always willing to help and look out for other others.
That is a great offer Greg and I hope that this works out for you Cameron
1958 356A
1967 911S

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Bryan »

Cammeron - I believe you’re in Orange County California?
Send me an email through the system
Greg
Greg Bryan

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

#20 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Camron where are you? I can loan you the engine out of one of my cars. They're just sitting here in Ohio waiting for the salt to be washed off the roads.
Patrick Ertel

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#21 Post by Cameron Permstein »

I am located in Huntington Beach, but I spoke with Greg and I think I am going to use his engine.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#22 Post by Greg Bryan »

Works for me and happy to contribute to this mission
Greg Bryan

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Mike Wilson »

Let me know if you guys need any help.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

I think this is great
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Michael Ferra
356 Fan

#25 Post by Michael Ferra »

This is one of the greatest threads I have read on any car forum. Seriously. After I asked an active member here for some help multiple times with a paint mix and was met with the sound of crickets, my faith in the Registry had dimmed significantly. But after reading thru this wonderful story of kindness and compassion, my faith has been restored. Well done gentlemen.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#26 Post by Al Zim »

HELLO! FROM A CURMUDGEON WHO HAS SPENT 60 YEARS OF HIS LIFE DEALING WITH 356 PORSCHE'S! I have been reprimanded for mentioning the TIME and COST it would take to successfully complete your project. Your understanding about what your car is needs a clarification! The vehicle in question is a 1963 European delivery 356 tat went to Sweden or remained in Germany. These were the only 2 countries that demanded the European Heaters on cars sold in their country. These parts are difficult to source and require diligence to acquire. Two thing to help you. Install the dual master cylinder system. This will provide you with a back up in the brakes. Generators: No armatures are available for the smaller of the 12 volt generator which makes them impossible to repair. On the larger generator it is prudent NOT to purchase a BOSCH rebuild. The solid state regulator is a 30 amp unit which does not match the output of the smaller generator.
You are welcome to call us for your needs. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Benade »

Is there any way to trick that regulator with a resistor or something?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#28 Post by Cameron Permstein »

Just dropped the engine pieces off with Walt and he got super excited. He said he hasn't seen original Super 90 stuff in a long time.

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#29 Post by Chris Davis »

Terrific thread...

Congratulations Cameron on the car and your efforts to give the previous owner a ride, within an unfortunately tight timeframe.

This is low priority suggestion (and a trick you likely already know) but it's surprising how well oxidized paint comes back with a little linseed oil.

Cameron Permstein
356 Fan

#30 Post by Cameron Permstein »

Chris Davis wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm Terrific thread...

Congratulations Cameron on the car and your efforts to give the previous owner a ride, within an unfortunately tight timeframe.

This is low priority suggestion (and a trick you likely already know) but it's surprising how well oxidized paint comes back with a little linseed oil.
Never heard of this.. I'll see what it can do, thank you