Engine builder on BAT (and the Maestro)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Engine builder on BAT (and the Maestro)

#1 Post by Bruce Smith »

There's a 912 motor up for auction on BAT, with some interesting (disparaging) comments about the engine builder, Richard Troy. It's a shame that they'll probably tank the seller's auction. It reminds me of some of the exchanges I've read from years ago between guys like Troy, the Maestro, and others. I'm relatively new to 356s (about 15 years), and got into them in part by reading Harry Pellow's (AKA the Maestro) books. I looked up Harry's death this AM and learned it was 20 years ago this year (March 23, 2003). I never met him, or even knew of him when he was alive, but appreciate his contributions to the hobby.
Bruce Smith

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Engine builder on BAT (and the Maestro)

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

It sounds like a couple of the people have direct experience with Troy, so that is real info. I know he had a reputation as being combative towards some Registry members, but it looks like the comments are from people who actually had work done from him, not just interacted with him.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#3 Post by Jim Clement »

Bruce, I to have read all of the Maestro's books, I now find them kind of funny even to look at - the old type writer style, it is very indictive of the period that they are created in, and thank goodness that he did as there is lots of information in those books, and some good humor along the way..
and Yieks on the comments on the BAT engine auction.. those are harsh for sure, If I had already bid, I would be thankful for being outbid..

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The Constas exhaust is worth a decent amount of money itself. Depending on final price could be a great start to tear down/ check/ and reassemble.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#5 Post by Al Zim »

My friend Chuck Stoddard graduated from M.I.T. so did Harry. Mr. Stoddard was always embarrassed when this was mentioned to him. I often wondered how many time Harry had dropped the crankshaft that had a crack in it before it broke. Al
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#6 Post by Jim Liberty »

I have had personal experience with Harry P. He did an engine for me many decades ago. My wife and I visited his shop just for fun. A fine gentleman indeed. I don't know the engine builder in question. ..................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jan Kolm »

Back in the early days of the 356 Talk List, before Miamiair, there was a frequent poster named "Matt Three," who was always stirring the pot. The common belief was that Matt was an alias for Richard Troy, although some believed he was Wayne Krieger. Every so often, Richard would post under his real name in an effort to deflect blame. The late Col Robin Hansen, the site moderator, whom EVERYONE respected, was big on civility and eventually banned both Matt and Richard from the site, and things returned to normal for awhile...
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Nelson »

I also had personal experience with Harry; we had some common roots in way Upstate New York and early Corvettes ( before we saw the light, of course). He built an engine for me that was very close to the one on the cover of his book, and while it was in the shipping crate—I had just received it—the Altadena fire raged through the neighborhood and literally melted everything in the garage, except my Convertible D. Great conversations with Harry, though.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#9 Post by Mike Smith »

The late Col Robin Hansen
Just for the record - Robin Hansen was also a founder member of Porsche Club Great Britain and the editor of the Club Magazine for a many years

A True Enthusiast
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bill Lawless »

The Engine Build write up is pretty detailed, BUT!! It's that of a different engine?? So he post some random build write up..
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Still running a HCP engine. 3200km trip last time

Al Zim
356 Fan

#12 Post by Al Zim »

A bit of ancient history. Robin Hansen, Bill Sampson and myself moderated the form for quite a few years. Each morning we discussed the situations and Robin enacted the discipline that was required. Robin Flew a P-38 in Africa during WWII retiring as a coronel and was Buried with Honors in Arlington Virginia.
Since I am caught up in nostalgia Mr. Steve Heinrichs deserves respect for his activities in making the Registry into a functioning business. As well as his speedster book and The book containing unlimited 4 cam material. (the 4 cam book is not easy to manipulate (physically) and packed with information that will never be duplicated. They were my close friends. Al Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Douglas »

I will jump in here in defense of Richard Troy. I've known Richard a long time, yes he is outspoken, does't listen to other's well, and pisses a lot of people off, but he does know a lot about VW and 356 engines. Most of his clients over the years have been VW guys, in particular Karman Ghia guys, most are cheap, want a running car without paying big dollars. Many will request that he use their old used parts, which while keeps the cost down it also goes with a risk of failure. The local Vintage VW club members have several of his engines and they were well done and have lasted for years. There will always be those that abuse their engines, and then complain that it didn't hold up, especially in the modified VW world. On the Bring a Trailer auction, it may be the current owner's use and care that could be more of a risk than Troy's build.
As for Harry Pellow, I knew Harry from when he was doing evenings and weekends out of his home, he too was outspoken but thankfully he documented his work in his books and videos. I have one of his later 356 engines that has about 45,000 mile on it and is still running well.
Things have changed over the years since Harry's books were written: more new parts are available, newer technology has created "better" repairs and upgrades, better oils, and worse gas, many reputable shops closing, the lack of younger guys replacing the old, labor rates increasing, all contributing to how restorations are being done, as well as the wait times. Many are choosing to do the work at home, or at "hobby shops". The books and articles written in the past are still very valuable, everyone who does 356 work should own and refer to: Elfrink, Harry Pellow, Craig Richter, Gene Berg, the Factory Shop Manuals, and the 100s of documents digitally saved by 356 Registry.

Randy Cook
356 Fan

#14 Post by Randy Cook »

I *think* met Harry long before I got my 356. He use to hawk his books, then CDs at local car meets in Bay Area, don't believe anyone else was then.
I was working at Apple in the early days and was considering buying a 911 that needed work from a co-worker. 'It's the car or the wife!'
I had worked on VWs a lot in college, but not sure I wanted to get into a project given the long hours we all put into the company then.

Ended up talking to the guy at a swap, likely Harry, about Porsches in general. He was telling me to forget about 911s, how cheap 356s were, and how much fun I would have working on and driving one. Quite the salesman.
IIRC, even Speedsters were only a few thousand dollars then.

But, the $$ went into a condo instead. Days of 12% mortgages, so not much left for a fun car.
Head over heart decision. In spite of Harry's salesmanship.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#15 Post by Al Zim »

Gentlemen: I would appreciate your looking at the picture of the garage on page 15 (no page number on that page) and explain to me in detail how you build an engine in that environment. Zim!
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services