Pertronix electronic ignition

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

Re: Pertronix electronic ignition

#16 Post by Jay Darlington »

all aside, 6volts are ok if you want that. i get it that the slow werrr of the starter and dim lights the occasional dead generator no aftermarket 12 volt stuff is classic and enjoyable. but if you drive it 12 volts is nice, not saying necessary but nice.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bruce Smith »

Back to the topic. Sorry Al, you lost me again with the sales pitch. Here's a link to an article on setting dwell and advance for old-fashioned, honest-to-goodness, mechanical advance distributors. It may be informative, and I've added no sales pitch.

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/resources/ ... h+40-1.pdf
Bruce Smith

Bob Soldani
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bob Soldani »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have decided to reinstall the original points system. I did that today and after a short time of cranking the engine started and ran well. I am using an Optima 6 volt battery. I don't think I mentioned that before. I may try the electronic system down the road but I am currently satisfied with the standard setup.
Bob Soldani
Registry 10259
Typ 356 Northeast Member
64 356C Sunroof Coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jules Dielen »

Install some of my 6v LED lights and you will have better lighting than any 12v 356 out there. And no dead batteries since they only draw 30% compared to the dim stock lights. I guess sales pitches are allowed now so here was mine, lol.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Al
it seems you have good luck the 123 dizzys on 6V cars doesn't the drop to less than 5.2v effect the circuitry in the 123 even more so than the Pertronix. Even thought the Bosch units may not be available in 6V configuration a Blue or low Ohm coil or a coil that is meant to be used with a ballast resistor aproximates the ones labelled 6V. there are also coils meant for use with a CDI and the current DME coils should work with the 123/Pertronix since the are switched by a semiconductor. the Voltage is not as important as the inductance in in primart circuit. Bruce what do you think?

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bruce Smith »

The advantage of Pertronix or Hotspark (another brand), is the set-and-forget aspect. Not only vs. points, but the condenser is also eliminated. Occasionally new condensers will go bad, and symptoms can be frustrating.
Bruce Smith

Don Haupt
356 Fan

#22 Post by Don Haupt »

Stick with good old fashion points, the Pretronix IGN will clip the voltage to the coil, to around 5v, and your plugs will foul with carbon very quickly. Due to lower secondary voltage at the plugs.

Ken Lubke
356 Fan

#23 Post by Ken Lubke »

If you need a strong clean spark, I went with Gamatronix. It eliminates the condenser and saves the points from getting carbon deposits.

My 2 cents

John Clarke
356 Fan

#24 Post by John Clarke »

Yes Ken. Same with the Boyer Bransden System for 6 Volts. Initially developed for the 6 Volt Brit Bikes. No problems whatsoever. We do retain the stock points. Think it is CD Capacitive Discharge. Had this unit for many years now on the 912 Engine we run in the 356 very reliable
Regards Jay

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#25 Post by Martin Benade »

I’ve never had a Pertronix but my understanding is that it’s merely a switch and has no effect on the coil voltage (as long as you had enough juice to get the car started).
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#26 Post by Steve Proctor »

I ran Pertronix in my 912 with a 12 volt system and 356 with a 6 volt system for at least 35 years. Only one time in those 35 years did I experience a problem (voltage below the trigger threshold in the 6V 356) and that was when my battery was dying. Interestingly, the car would crank and crank and then start when I released the key because the drain caused by the starter was out of the equation. I kept a spare 050 in the spares stash in the trunk just in case, but never had to use it. Today, I'm running one of Zims' 6V alternators with built in electronic voltage regulator, a 123 distributor and some of Jules Dielen's 6V LED headlights. Loving the wonders of modern technology without the workarounds necessary to turn a 6V car into a 12V car. To each his own.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#27 Post by Wes Bender »

Hi Steve. (We still miss you out here......) Care to tell us your take on Jules' LEDs vs the previous units? Without mentioning names, of course.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Al Zim
356 Fan

#28 Post by Al Zim »

Wes and Vic: " I wish the trip was over" Since vendors are not allowed to sell on any forms. Information on products can only be advertisements in our
Bi Monthly magazine how do you suggest that information concerning new products and repairs be transmitted to the Registry Members. Vic would you please bring this up at the next Trustee meeting. I look forward to seeing this in the minutes of the meeting. Thank You Vic: al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#29 Post by Martin Benade »

Al, you are not aware of these things?
D00E88D6-E5AB-4D13-BF46-1BC517970C5A.png
Attachments
26BAD145-5AC7-4BE9-B488-75718EE08C6D.png
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#30 Post by Mark Roth »

Al has been told many times that he can put his phone number in a post and can post his wares in the Vendor Announcements forum without restriction.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)