Pertronix electronic ignition

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Soldani
356 Fan

Pertronix electronic ignition

#1 Post by Bob Soldani »

Has anyone installed an electronic ignition? I installed one on a 64 356C and can't get the car started. I called the helpline and tried all their suggestions to no avail. Can anyone help? I would like to try some suggestions before I put the regular points back in. Thanks
Bob Soldani
Registry 10259
Typ 356 Northeast Member
64 356C Sunroof Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Pertronix electronic ignition

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

6 or 12V, Bob? The 6V doesn't index well well. Check the wiring connections and timing.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

It's not an indexing problem, it's whether there's enough current with a 6V system for the Hall-effect sensor to generate a voltage from the passing magnetic field. The low voltage together with resistance in your old wiring reduces the current. Your generator needs to put out a a good 7+ volts, and it needs to reach the distributor. If you're having problems with 12V, it may also be your charging system or excess resistance in your wiring. I wrote an article for the magazine about electronic ignition conversion a few years back. You may find a few tips there. Here's the link. I've rigged up a way to test a distributor w/ Pertronix (or Hotspark) on a Sun tester. Let me know if you'd like me to test yours out for you.

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/resources/ ... +Smith.pdf
http://www.sparkingplugs.com/3.html
Last edited by Bruce Smith on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Smith

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Smith »

Also, Bob, if you have the Pertronix Ignitor II, you'll want to use a low resistance 40KV coil. Ignitor I should work with your old coil, if it's up to spec. Here's how to test a coil:

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/7.html
Bruce Smith

Bob Soldani
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Soldani »

Thanks Bruce for your insight. I will check all the items that you suggested and get back to you.
Bob Soldani
Registry 10259
Typ 356 Northeast Member
64 356C Sunroof Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Bruce, that Hall effect sensor takes appreciably more current than an ignition coil alone?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

I tried every one out there. Took me a while, but the factory setup is all I will use now. ..........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Morris »

Following up on this discussions and earlier ones about the 6 volt Pertronix. I had (have) the sense they were not recommended for our 6 volt cars because of problems with insufficient current. Now I'm confused. I have always used Pertronix in my 912s (12 volt) Porsches with great reliability. I would like to install one in my 62 Super 90 (still 6 volt), but had decided against it based on earlier discussions. Should I reconsider? If so, Igniter l or ll?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

Most 6 volt Pertronix will work until the battery is low or maybe on a very cold start. If battery voltage falls below 5.2 volts while cranking you get no spark because the threshold voltage for the Pertronix to operate is 5.2 volts. If it does not fire in the first few seconds of cranking it only gets less likely to start as the battery voltage drops.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Smith »

Jim Liberty wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:22 pm I tried every one out there. Took me a while, but the factory setup is all I will use now. ..........Jim.
Me too Jim. I like points. Guys will claim that they aren't as good as electronic, like Pertronix. But this only might be true if you also added a hotter spark, i.e. swapped the coil. But points would also deliver a hotter spark. The facts are that good points with the proper dwell will be just as good as anything that replaces them.
Bruce Smith

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

It is humorous to me how many people think a 10 minute points replacement every few years is such a problem.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Morris »

OK, so I stick with points. No problem for me. Thanks.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#13 Post by Al Zim »

ZIMZ is still involved with vehicles that have 6 volt systems. Dealing with a 6 volt generator (bad armature) is an impossible situation: No quality armatures and few (IF) qualified individuals (who own a generator shop) with experience exist. Installing a new 6 volt coil is good insurance. Since early January when we received the 123 distributors we decided that this is all we use on the 356 and 912 engines carbureted or fuel injected. Why would you not want a New distributor that with the aid of our cell phone can make your car run better?
Spark Plug wires should be checked for excessive resistance. Make sure the cables have copper wire. Al Zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#14 Post by Wes Bender »

Geez I wish the trip were over... We know that they're old and that you prefer to convert them to12 volts, but it's getting a bit old, Al.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#15 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wes Bender wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 pm Geez I wish the trip were over... We know that they're old and that you prefer to convert them to12 volts, but it's getting a bit old, Al.
:D