High Torque 6-Volt Starters Question/Recommendations?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gene Wesolaski
356 Fan

High Torque 6-Volt Starters Question/Recommendations?

#1 Post by Gene Wesolaski »

Greetings,

I searched the forum and what I found appeared to be dated, so I thought I'd ask again.

Any Information, good or bad (I know they are expensive) about the High Torque 6-Volt starters,
is appreciated.

Do they crank the motor with snap?

Thanks in Advance,
Gene

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: High Torque 6-Volt Starters Question/Recommendations?

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Great question i always wondered that the Hi Torque starters sold as 6V were really 12v ones with a higher hp rating. A DC shunt motor has an interesting characteristic that the current is a factor of the speed since it is a based on the back Voltage the power is based on the current squared. I have asked the sellers of these starters to provide the motor curves with no luck. These gear reduction starters are derived from current mostly Aisin production cars.
j
Last edited by Jacques Lefriant on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Zim »

I do not remember ever seeing a VW/Porsche High Torque starter. (but I cannot remember a lot of things) Starters with the square solenoid cannot be repaired.
It would be prudent to purchase any 6 volt parts that you even remotely think you will need. Including correctly rebuilt 58 year old distributors. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Al
the starters that are in question are aftermarket self-supporting ones based on Hitachi/Toshiba electrical parts. to my knowledge none of the donor parts were ever meant for 6Volt operation as such.
j

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

I installed a 12v hi torque in my friend's early 912 and it lasted a whopping 6 months until it quit. Had the original starter rebuilt and it is back in the car now.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Jules
to me the benefit of the HiTorque is that for 12V conversions you do not need the bushing or use a bespoke Bosch 12v starters that were used with the Carrera and factory delivered 12v cars. the stock 912 starter is proven for that application and even for the 911 of that vintage later 911s used plug and play more powerful starter.
j

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Do the supposedly 6 V ones crank at a proper speed?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Martin
the speed of the motor varies as a function of load and applied voltage. The motor vendor should provide a graph showing that curve.
j

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Whittick »

I run WOSP high torque starters on two of my cars. One is a 6v and the other is 12. I installed the 6v unit in my 356c when my stock starter wouldn't spin my fresh motor with increased compression. The 12v unit is in my VW with 180hp. These are both self supporting units. Quality is great.

The engine spins at the same speed as a stock starter but doesn't complain about the compression.

The price of the 6v was a little steep but I didn't really have another option without converting the car to 12v. I've been running my 12v unit for a few years and the 6v unit has been installed since last June. So far, so good.

Hope that helps.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Dave:
Can you supply a part number for your WOSP starter motors, especially for the 6V? I looked on the WOSP website and found solutions for 12V but not 6V. Did you use any of these? See image attached.

Other questions: who is making these, and whence they come?

=rds

Attachments
356 Hi-torq Starters WOSP.png

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Whittick »

Ronald Sieber wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:45 am Dave:
Can you supply a part number for your WOSP starter motors, especially for the 6V? I looked on the WOSP website and found solutions for 12V but not 6V. Did you use any of these? See image attached.

Other questions: who is making these, and whence they come?

=rds

I’d recommend sitting down before checking the price.

https://www.stoddard.com/nla-1107-6v-lms.html

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#12 Post by Mark Roth »

I recently installed a WOSP 6v starter in my C. I can’t tell if it cranks faster but it sounds like it. The old starter went rrr,rrr at a low pitch and sounded slow. The WOSP sounds faster and is more high pitched. Someone described it as sounding like a DC3 engine turning over. Seems to work well so far after less than 100 starts. I have my old starter just in case.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Al Zim
356 Fan

#13 Post by Al Zim »

Jules: The 901/2 series transmission case is different from the 356 case. It does not have a support on the transmission for the armature. There are more teeth of the 12 volt flywheel than the 6 volt flywheel. CONCLUSION: If your friend used a 6 volt high torque starter on a 12 volt flywheel the starter will quickly destroy itself AND cause excessive wear on the flywheel teeth. The flywheel ring gear teeth can be replaced, but it may be easier to find a not so used 12 volt flywheel For Use with the 901/902 transmissions. The 911 starter should bolt right in. Zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#14 Post by Neil Bardsley »

In the UK, Robert and Francis Rewinds, will wind the starter at 5v for you. Perhaps someone will do the same in the USA?

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
The 12V Hi-Torque starter was designed for early VW/356 107 tooth flywheels to replace the obsolete Bosch 6V bushing style. There is another 12V Hi torque starter for the 130 tooth larger diameter flywheel that the 912/911 uses. The Hi-Torque staters are made with readily available electrical components from OEM starters and custom housings/Bendix for the application. The 6V one i believe is sourced in the UK and because of its rarity and supply chain issues is way overpriced.
j