T5 & T6(?) turn indicator wiring and testing

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brock Tuffli
356 Fan

T5 & T6(?) turn indicator wiring and testing

#1 Post by Brock Tuffli »

All,
Wanting to check to see if any of the 3 turn indicator switches i had worked, I did a search to see if anyone had posted how to test the wiring. I came up empty handed so i grabbed Joe Leoni’s books and my multimeter and went to work. Here is what i found:

The switch has 10 wires going to/from it. (This doesn’t include the brown ground wire that is “sleeved” together with the turn indicator wires (not to be confused with the headlight wires.

TURN INDICATOR WIRES:
6 wires plus the ground are “Sleeved” together with a 120MM to 140MM* sleeve -> (1) Black/Green and (1) Black/Red and (1) Black/White and (1) Black/Yellow and (1) Black/Purple and (1) Black/White/Green

HEADLIGHT WIRES: (These are a much thinker guage than the Turn Indicator wires)
2 wires are “Sleeved” together with a 320MM to 340MM* sleeve -> (1) Red and (1) White/Black
2 wires are “Sleeved” together with a 260MM sleeve -> (1) Yellow and (1) Crème/Red

* range due to the 3 indicator switches I was able to measure

BENCH TESTING: I used a multimeter set to continuity and alligator clips so that i could hold the switch body with one hand and move the indicator lever with the other hand. One set of alligator clips was black and the other was red. (Keeping it simple!)

Turn indicator function
Hook up one the Red alligator clip to the Black/White/Green wire. This will remain in place for all the turn indicator tests

A) Hook up the Black alligator clip to the Black/Green wire. You should get a reading on the multimeter when you move the indicator lever up and no reading when the lever is in the middle or down position. The Black/Green wire is for the Passenger side front light. The multimeter should show a reading in either the regular or forward position on the lever (in “normal” or “brights” mode)

B) Hook up the Black alligator clip to the Black/Red wire. You should get a reading on the multimeter when you move the indicator lever up and no reading when the lever is in the middle or down position. The Black/Red wire is for the Pasenger side rear light. Like all the tests in this section, you should get a reading in both the ”normal” or “brights” mode.

C) Hook up the Black alligator clip to the Black/White wire. You should get a reading on the multimeter when you move the indicator lever down and no reading when the lever is in the middle or up position. The Black/White wire is for the Driver side front light. You should get a reading in the “normal” or ‘brights” mode.

D) Hook up the Black alligator clip to the Black/Yellow wire. You should get a reading on the multimeter when you move the indicator lever down and no reading when the lever is in the middle or up position. The Black/Yellow wire is for the Driver side rear light. You should get a reading in the “normal” or “brights” mode.

If all works as i have stated above, the turn indicator portion of your switch is working as intended. Now it is time to test the “Flow-Through” of the brake lights.

E) Hook up the Red alligator clip to the Black/Purple wire. Hook up the Black alligator clip to the Black/Red wire. With the lever in the center, you should have a reading on the multimeter. This is the test for the right rear stop light.

F) Hook up the Black alligator clip to the Black/Yellow wire. With the lever in the center, you should have a reading on the multimeter. This is the test for the right rear stop light.

This next section is to test the functionality of the brights and brights flasher function.

G) Hook up the Red alligator clip to the Crème/Red wire and the Black alligator clip to the White/Black wire. You should have a reading on the multimeter when the lever is in the “forward” or “brights” position and no reading when the lever is in the middle.

H) Hook up the Red alligator clip to the Yellow wire and the Black alligator clip to the White/Black wire. You should have a reading on the multimeter when the lever in the “normal” position (not in the “forward” or “brights” position)

I) Hook up the Red alligator clip to the Creme/Red wire and the Black alligator clip to the Red wire. You should only have a reading on the multimeter when the lever is in the “back” position. The lever will not stay in the position, this is for signaling fellow Porsche drivers or other driver that their brights are blinding you. :)

I’m sure i missed something but the kind folks on this board will no doubt provide constructive feedback. :)

I hope this helps someone else that may be in the same boat as me. Now i know which problems i need to solve! :)

Brock
60 T5 B Roadster

Brock Tuffli
356 Fan

Re: T5 & T6(?) turn indicator wiring and testing

#2 Post by Brock Tuffli »

After testing the switch functionality, i got it to work but the lever had to be in just the right spot. I spayed some DeToxIt and worked it back and forth. This stuff improved the smoothness of the lever and greatly enhanced the contacts to where they work as they were intended. Great recommendation from the members on this board! Thanks