64C turn signals

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Victor Spadoni
356 Fan

64C turn signals

#1 Post by Victor Spadoni »

Hi all,
Had my 64C painted recently, I had taken most of everything off, and now in the process of putting it all back together. I reconnected the headlights wiring, see attached, ( I know, not a pretty sight ), here's the thing, signals work both front and rear when lights are off, but stop working when I turn on the lights on. They worked fine before, and I'm pretty sure I connected everything the same way . Horns also worked and now do not. I cleaned all terminals, and all fuses are good. Ideas ???? I have several electrical diagrams including Joe Leone's books.
Attachments
Driver's side.jpg
Passenger side.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 64C turn signals

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

That symptom points to a bad ground for sure. Are the steel ground straps connected to the taillight housings? On end of them is welded to the body.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Victor Spadoni
356 Fan

#3 Post by Victor Spadoni »

Thanks for responding Martin, does seem to be a bad ground somewhere, but the tail lights work just fine, including brake light and signals, everything I see seems to be connected including the grounding straps.

Victor Spadoni
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Spadoni »

I will go back and re-clean and re-check ground connections, ...when it gets a bit warmer here on the east Coast, it's 44 degrees now and I can't take the cold anymore. and my back is not getting any better in the near future.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

If you check each ground you may find a bad one. Use a test light, ground its wire end, then with the headlights on touch the probe to the various ground parts of the sockets. If the test light illuminates, you have no ground. Then follow any ground wires to the body to see if they also are live battery voltage, or actually grounded.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

Look behind the drivers side turn signal mount inside the fender well, for a brown wire attached to the mounting hardware. I had a similar problem, that brown ground was corroded at the ring terminal. Brass Wire brush fixed it.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Victor Spadoni
356 Fan

#7 Post by Victor Spadoni »

Thanks guys I will do as you suggested asap.