Jim Liberty's '53 Glaser

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Jim Liberty's '53 Glaser

#1 Post by Bruce Smith »

I'm not the only one who thinks Jim's Glaser sold way too low on BAT, right? A very special car, I'm suprised it didn't break $300k.
Bruce Smith

Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: Jim Liberty's '53 Glaser

#2 Post by Peter Silten »

Agree 100%.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Unfortunately there were a couple of Trolls who kept pointing out what they felt to be inferior bodywork, all while Jim had already pointed out those areas and whey they were the way they were, but the two Trolls would not stop.

I like Bat's format with commentary so potential bidders have a better idea of what they are possibly buying, but when people start in on something and just won't let it go it just puts a stink on the whole auction that usually won't wear off.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Al Zim
356 Fan

#4 Post by Al Zim »

Sebastian et all: I have often wondered how to evaluate PRE A cars. I would certainly appreciate it if you would spend some time and post or email me your evaluation. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#5 Post by JohnLiles »

I would prefer the cars to still be attainable pricewise , so mixed feelings , it was a good opportunity for the next custodian . I dont think the trolls would have put off anyone who knew what they were looking for , and I do think BaT is one of the best platforms to learn about 'stuff'
The problem with high level restorations is the cost , so if you try to cover that then immediately you are up near the $250,000 mark
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Smith »

I agree, Sebastian. I read the comments post-auction, and thought what a shame that a couple of nameless trolls probably impacted what should have been. Especially knowing how much Jim put into its restoration.
Bruce Smith

Jake Miller
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jake Miller »

I don't really have an opinion on the value of a 53 Glaser, but as someone who does metalwork on old cars for a living, I can say that a lot of the work was sub par. These days standards are very high, and prospective buyers are often quite educated, or can educate themselves easily. For cars to bring the absolute top dollar, everything needs to be a high standard. Leaving the belly of that car as rough as it was, even if original, may not have been the best choice. Transparency is always a good thing, but showing the metalwork that went into the exterior body (nose, door jambs, etc) probably didn't help the sale, as the work was quite rough.

yes, the trolls were annoying, but buyers could look through all the photos themselves and form their own opinions.

you can hide a LOT with body fillers and undercoat unfortunately

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

Thanks all. Nobody likes to lose money on anything. That said, I did this car because of its so rare. I've been at this a long time, and it is about the process for me. Taking what I have and using other shops I know and trust. In this car's case, it was about the chase as much as the car. I did not mine the bad comments at all. The fellow that bought the car is 63, I'm 83. That's a big 20 years, and it was time for me to get it into a new set of hands. By the way my 1947 Crosley pickup is LIVE on "BaT" now. Feel free to beat me up some more. ..............Jim.
Jim Liberty

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#9 Post by David Nicholls »

It’s an old trick.
No matter what it is, house, boat or Porsche.
An unscrupulous buyer will send his friends (hounds) around to highlight faults with whatever is up for sale.
They publicise their opinions, other prospective buyers get turned off and the seller has to drop their expected price.
Then the unscrupulous come back, put the sword in, and win the sale at a big discount.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#10 Post by Spencer Harris »

David Nicholls wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:34 am It’s an old trick...
I think David has it pegged! MissKombi (alias Debbie Downer) seemed to be on a mission for a couple of days during the auction. Now most of Kombi's defamatory comments are deleted. Mission accomplished...
MissKombi.JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

Were her comments basically opinions that could sort of be justified, or more like untruths?
Curious what I missed, but I’m on Jim L’s side.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Spencer Harris »

Yeah, I wish I had clipped and saved the comments. A quick scroll through the site I see that seven comments by MissKombi were flagged by BAT as non-constructive, so they presumably violated one or more of their criteria. Opinions, justified, untruths? I don't know, but it seemed to me she just went on and on and on; well beyond the normal comment and likely effective enough to turn off prospective buyers.
Flagged.JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#13 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:24 pm Were her comments basically opinions that could sort of be justified, or more like untruths?
Curious what I missed, but I’m on Jim L’s side.
I didn't see them but I can tell you that Jim disclosed everything with explanations as to why certain things were the way they were. It was total transparency so with that combined with the fact that most of her comments were flagged probably answers that question.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bruce Smith »

I saw the Glaser twice while Jim was working on it, and both times he was surrounded by folks admiring it. So if it was a project of passion, and he's OK with the outcome, that's good. Especially if it went to a good home. Just a shame that it probably didn't bring him all the money. Especially if the buyer winds up to be a flipper.
Bruce Smith

Diane Mierz
356 Fan

#15 Post by Diane Mierz »

Spencer Harris wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:57 pm Yeah, I wish I had clipped and saved the comments. A quick scroll through the site I see that seven comments by MissKombi were flagged by BAT as non-constructive, so they presumably violated one or more of their criteria. Opinions, justified, untruths? I don't know, but it seemed to me she just went on and on and on; well beyond the normal comment and likely effective enough to turn off prospective buyers.
Flagged.JPG
I did a quick search on BAT on "MissKombi" and according to her previous comments apparently her husband apprenticed at Abbey Panels for the Jaguar F type program so she must consider herself somewhat of an expert when it comes to critiquing metal work. She has made critical or negative remarks regarding body work in 10 other auctions, most of which were Porsches. She has bid in only one auction for a 911T project (top bid $32,250). Hard to know her motivation here but she certainly was a troll for this auction. Really sad this happened to such a fine rare car.
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1963 Karmann Ghia convertible
1996 Miata M edition