1964 SC won't start- newbie seeks help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Diane Mierz
356 Fan

Re: 1964 SC won't start- newbie seeks help

#31 Post by Diane Mierz »

Hi Ken,
Actually I am a member of both the typ356ne and southern CT groups - one my friends from the ne group lent me a couple of fabulous tools to gap the valves as well as a nice socket with a universal joint to help get the plugs out. If worst came to worst I could probably lure him over with the promise of dinner and drinks for him and his wife. There are other friends in our breakfast group I could probably ask for help from too. Last spring I replaced the shift coupler by myself. I knew I needed to also replace the 3 bushings under the shifter at the same time and after reading everything I could find on the forum I decided I wasn't comfortable doing it myself so I asked for my brother and son's help. We got it done - or should I say I watched while the did it and I didn't really learn anything in the process. They weren't sure how to adjust the shifter so that was on me to figure out. Again I hit the forum and found Vic's method in one of the threads and the feeling of satisfaction I got when it actually worked was incredible! I need more successes to feel comfortable but if I can get this car running without calling in the cavalry I will be on top of the world. The cavalry will get called before a flatbed, though! Thanks for your post!
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1963 Karmann Ghia convertible
1996 Miata M edition

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#32 Post by Wes Bender »

Good for you! Keep doing as much as you can while getting help when needed. Working on these cars is part of the overall 356 experience.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Timothy L Schabacker
356 Fan

#33 Post by Timothy L Schabacker »

Another “Car won’t start”

I’m hoping to get help determining next steps in a “decision tree” to resolve my no start problem.

Car was running very good when parked in late October. So far these are the things I’ve done:

Possible fuel problem:
-Drained gas tank and refilled with non ethanol fuel
-Set Zenith carburetors idle mixing screws to 1-1/2 turns out
-Filled float bowls with electric fuel pump. Also primed by hand separately with 25cc fuel ea.
-Visually checked fuel flow into carbs by actuating carburetor accelerator linkage.

Possible electrical/timing/spark problem:

-6.3V at one year old Optima battery
-Ignition switch actuates immediately and starter cranks strong without any hesitation. Both oil light and generator light operable
-Replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires
-Reset timing on 123 distributor (several times)
-Tested and determined spark from distributor through new spark plug wire with grounded separate spark plug.
-Oil level correct
-600+/- miles on valve adjustment

In short, I’m pretty sure I’ve got fuel spark and timing all in sync.

I am at the point of needing to clean idle jets? Or…?

Thank you.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#34 Post by David Jones »

Try putting about a tablespoon full of fuel down the carb throats. You sometimes need way more fuel than you would anticipate after months of sitting dried out.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#35 Post by Wes Bender »

Do as David suggests. If that doesn't get some action, your timing is probably off or something else is interfering with the spark. Carburetor work is always the last thing to consider unless it is a known cause.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....