1964 SC won't start- newbie seeks help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Diane Mierz
356 Fan

Re: 1964 SC won't start- newbie seeks help

#16 Post by Diane Mierz »

Hi Martin - this is news to me - I thought it was possible to install it 180 degrees off- is this possible with other Porsche distributors? I'm running an 022.
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1963 Karmann Ghia convertible
1996 Miata M edition

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

No, all 356 distributor drives are the same, if it’s able to fully seat it has to be correct.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#18 Post by Harlan Halsey »

If you really noticed a falling off in power around 6,000 miles something is failing. I suggest a end to end test of the electrical system: Remove the distributer cap and temporarily put a conductor between one of the plug wire terminals and the center inside the cap. Pull the wire connector from the plug whose wire is connected to the center terminal. Remove he plug, reconnect it and ground the plug to the block so you can see the gap. Rotate the engine so the points are closed. Turn on the ignition. 0pen the points with a non-conducting pusher. You should see a spark at the plug gap each time you open the points.
Checking the fuel system is easier: Remove the air cleaners and see a jet of fuel going into each throat each time you fully open the throttle. (The engine will start and run on the accelerator pump fuel jets even if something else is wrong with the carburetors.)
These tests should get you started toward locating the problem. Once you know where to look, then you may need to consider more subtle failures like sinking float, failing fuel pump, etc.

Diane Mierz
356 Fan

#19 Post by Diane Mierz »

The decline I was seeing was what I would call subtle. When accelerating from a stop I had to feather the throttle to get it to smoothly accelerate into second. That was the biggest issue I noticed but I am sure that performance was affected on the other end of the spectrum as well. A huge challenge was when I had to stop on a hill and required lots of throttle to propel forward- Could spark plugs out of gap and worn points be responsible for something like this? The points alone would throw off timing, correct? So much to learn!
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1996 Miata M edition

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#20 Post by Mark Roth »

I had a full engine rebuild 6,000 miles ago at a very reputable venue but have really not done much maintenance other than oil changes and valve adjustments.
What does the person who rebuilt your engine for lots of $$$$ have to say? Can’t you tow the car to him?
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Al Zim
356 Fan

#21 Post by Al Zim »

If you have a 356C manufactured in April or later it should have an electric tachometer. There will be an additional heavy black wire attached to the #1 (to the distributor) connector on the coil. Remove this and see if it will start. If it does then you have a short in the tachometer. Read expensive Rebuild.
STARTER FLUID (not ether) has a lubricant mixed with the ether. This is 50% Naphtha. Plenty of lubricant.
I Think your time would be better spent by taking the car to someone that is a qualified engine builder. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Diane Mierz
356 Fan

#22 Post by Diane Mierz »

Thanks Mark and Al – I know I could take this back to the place that rebuilt the engine and they’d do a great job fixing it but my belief is that this isn’t a catastrophic failure and I will be able to eventually figure out what is wrong. My goal when I bought this car was to learn how to work on it myself and be able to troubleshoot problems that inevitably crop up along the way. I have a workshop manual and between it, my owner’s manual, and a lot of time spend pouring over searches on this forum I already understand much more than I did just a month ago. There are a lot of great ideas and theories in the previous posts which I need to try out.. The way I look at it I have the whole winter to figure this out. If come spring I still can’t get this car fired up I may have to call in a flatbed but I am not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet…
Al – My car was built April 22 1964 and has one of the last mechanical tachs so at least that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about!
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1996 Miata M edition

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great advice some genuine 356 experts. To simplify: you need to see if the engine getting spark and gas. Is the fuel selector under the dash on or off? Do you see fuel being squirted when you activate the accelerator rods on the carbs? Are you getting spark to the plugs?

A methodical check of fuel delivery and spark will solve the issue.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#24 Post by David Jones »

As you apparently have an SC you have Solex carbs and a simple check worth doing is with the air cleaners removed and access to the vent tube you can check if you have fuel in the carbs by dropping a straw into the air vent and feeling for float movement. Also a good time to check the accel pumps for good squirter amounts.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Diane Mierz
356 Fan

#25 Post by Diane Mierz »

Hi Mike - totally agree on the experts here - invaluable advice for sure. Fuel selector is in on position and the priming pump delivers fuel just before the fuel pump- I have not activated the accelerator rods yet and need to run David's test to see about spark at the plugs. I see spark at both the points when they are open and at the wire to the coil when I hold it to ground. Thanks, David for the method of feeling for float movement- I I really need to spend some time trying to understand how these carbs function; right now they are still somewhat of a mystery. I should have time this weekend to work through all of these suggestions and hopefully will move closer to a solution. Thank you all so very much!
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1996 Miata M edition

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Mike Wilson »

You are on the right track, Duane. Keep us posted on your progress. We're here to help.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#27 Post by Steve Turino »

Diane
I like your can do attitude. I was an absolute beginner 5 years ago and with help of the people on this forum and lots of research I have come a long way in the understanding of the workings of my car. I have almost as much fun working on it as driving it. It's very gratifying to fix something or make it better yourself. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of your starting problem with all the great suggestions above.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Diane Mierz
356 Fan

#28 Post by Diane Mierz »

Thanks Mike and Steve - Just knowing I have so many experts at the ready makes this less daunting. I will absolutely keep you all posted on my progress!
1964 SC cabriolet
1956 Karmann Ghia coupe
1996 Miata M edition

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Mike Wilson »

👍

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ken Lubke
356 Fan

#30 Post by Ken Lubke »

There has to be someone in her area that could take the time and help her
All the written knowledge helps, but the physical action is in order.

Fellow 356 owner needs our help