Weber carb fire

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert L. Jamison
356 Fan

Weber carb fire

#1 Post by Robert L. Jamison »

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but I’ll ask my questions anyway. I have a ’62 B Super with a ’64 SC engine installed. Back in October I experienced a fire in the lefthand carb. The carbs installed are original Italian made Webers but when the insurance adjuster examined the damage he quoted the replacement of the lefthand carb ONLY. So my multi-part question is, can one install a new carb on one bank but leave the 42+ year old carb on the opposite bank and expect to achieve a smooth running engine? Secondly, if I replace both carbs would it be avantageous to look for second hand rebuildable Italian made Webers, or should I go with the newer Spanish made carbs.

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Re: Weber carb fire

#2 Post by Ken Tuvman »

I’d challenge the insurance adjuster saying what you wrote above and argue for a new matching set.

Everything is negotiable!
Author / Photojournalist

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Or ideally end up with $1800 worth of rebuilt Solexes so you wouldn’t need to be concerned with what jetting and venturies to use.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Robert L. Jamison
356 Fan

#4 Post by Robert L. Jamison »

Ken Tuvman: The insurance company has told me that I need to find a shop and if they find any additional damage that they in turn will have to submit a supplement explaining the extra damage and request additional payment. The insurance company has sent me a check for what they feel will cover the damage. The same insurance company states on their website that the owner of the car can do the repairs themselves and the insurance company will pay them to do the work! I live in south New Jersey and have contacted no less than eight shops and have gotten various relies like no we don't deal with insurance companies or sure we can do the paint repair but we don't do mechanical repair. It cost me a small fortune just to have the car towed back home so I wanted to fine a shop within a fifty mile radius of my home, with no luck.

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Robert - I think you can act as a liaison between the shop you choose and insurance co. Once you choose the shop you're comfortable with, if the mechanic suggests getting a matched pair of carbs, you can ask him for a summary statement and write it down, type it, ask shop mechanic to sign and then send it off to the adjuster - shouldn't be a huge deal.

I'm sure any carbs can catch fire but here's what I did - my '61 T5 had Webers on it and seller gave me the Zenith's that were original equipment - when I realized an engine rebuild was needed, I discussed the carbs with a few Porsche friends about keeping the 40 IDF Webers vs getting the Zeniths overhauled and put back into service - I sold the Webers (actually Candace at 356CR put me in touch with a guy who needed the Webers for his 912). I felt going OEM stock was a better choice for me.

I'm sure you can get this insurance matter resolved - my thesis about insurance companies is they make their money on not paying out and sometimes it takes some extra work just to get a fair settlement - once in MN we had a huge storm and the roof was damaged - the adjuster at the time wanted to replace 1/2 my roof but we contested and got a new roof.

p.s. A lot of 356 owners like Solexs too but I'm not qualified to talk about them. Seems like I read about more Webers catching fire but it could have to do with the brand of air filters used that are more flammable.
Author / Photojournalist

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

If you will look in the Registry magazine from about 2 years ago there was an article about an engine fire on the 3/4 carburetor of a 356C. The car was brought to our shop and an estimate was given WITHOUT KNOWING the internal damage in the engine. THE DAMAGE WAS SEVERE! The insurance covered all the repairs.
It was a 4 month repair.
At least pull the head and see what damage exists in the cylinders. I believe a dry chemical fire extinguisher was used in the article which caused additional problems. Make sure your inspector realized that whatever they pay is going to be SUBSTANTIALLY LESS than having the car burn up. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ken Tuvman »

+1 Al
Author / Photojournalist

Robert L. Jamison
356 Fan

#8 Post by Robert L. Jamison »

Thanks for all the responses! It's quickly coming up on two months since the fire and I'm no closer to hiring a shop than I was the day after the fire. I'm probably being stubborn but I don't want to ship the car any further than the fifty mile radius that I mentioned before. Yes, I know Paterek Brothers is in New Jersey, but they're at least sixty miles from my home. And there is Bruce Baker somewhere in central Pennsylvania, again too far for my liking. There is a shop that's less than two miles from my home whose owner has owned 356s and currently works on them, but his is one of the shops that won't deal with insurance companies. Call me crazy but, my thinking is unless the insurance company has a resident 356 expert, than how can they deny any claims? To make matters worse the insurance adjustor viewed the car days after the fire when the engine was covered with fire extinguisher residue. He missed most of the damage, like burned wires and paint damage on the fan shroud. I guess I should count myself lucky that I had a fire extinguisher in the car and that I had the presence of mind to turn off the gas.

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Not to burst your bubble Robert - but it is not likely to find a ton of mechanics within a 50 mile radius - if you're comfortable with Paterek Brothers ask the insurance company to cover the first 50 miles of towing and pay the difference. It may be likely that Paterek has a paint/body shop resource - in any event, you should get written repair estimates to get your car correctly repaired.
Author / Photojournalist

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

It seems worthwhile to travel a bit further to get to the right people. My friend recently finished a restoration in Ohio which was sent to him from Australia, more than an extra 10 miles.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#11 Post by Don Gale »

It's likey you may need to split the repair between 2 shops, one to sort the carbs and related mechanical issues from the fire, and another to do the body/paint repair. I can't see the insurance Co. having issue with that. Get it driveable and then deal with the paint shop to avoid add'l towing expense.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jules Dielen »

Just take it to Paterek. They will do it right the first time. The extra tow fee for those extra 10 miles will cost you less than a dinner at McDonalds. Well worth it if you ask me to take it to a shop with an excellent reputation.

Europa Macchina in Lewisberry comes to mind as well. Top notch.
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#13 Post by Mark Roth »

Robert,
What insurance company are you dealing with?
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Robert L. Jamison
356 Fan

#14 Post by Robert L. Jamison »

Mark Roth Am I allowed to say the name? I have a policy with Hagerty, but the check came from Essential Insurance Company.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#15 Post by David Jones »

Robert, I too am with Hagerty and my experience with them was excellent. The adjuster initially put the repair cost at $8k but once the car was at the shop for repair more damage became apparent. As the repairs progressed additional costs were accrued and the final figure was $38k. Never any argument about payment, just keep your Hagerty agent appraised of changes as the work progresses.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715