Returning Headlights to Stock Configuration 356T5

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Returning Headlights to Stock Configuration 356T5

#1 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Everyone,

Probably 20-30 years ago, a previous owner designed headlight relays to brighten things up on this 6 volt setup.

As pictures show, he installed a functional but NOT anesthetically pleasing to the eye relay box on plywood and mounted it under the hood. He disconnected the wires going to the fusebox and the relays connect direct to the battery - I haven't given any thought yet as to how the headlight switch is activating the headlights yet but looking at the fuse block he may have taken the switch wire and added to the connection on my battery.

He ran the wires along edge of trunk right behind where the spare tire goes.

I do have a large schematic provided by Greg Bryan and the Registry Home page provides detailed schematics that were created by the late Joe Leoni.

Once I unravel what was done and piece things back together, I'd purchase a set of LED headlights from Jules Dielen.

Mainly interested in returning wires to the fusebox without having to buy a new wiring harness as electrical system on my car are operational and functioning.

Pictures below

Thank you > Ken Tuvman
IMG_0329 2.jpg
_DSC1367.jpg
Author / Photojournalist

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Returning Headlights to Stock Configuration 356T5

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

It appears to me that the fuse box wiring is still intact and unchanged. I presume the PO rerouted the wires in the front harness to the headlight relay setup that you show, although some detective work is needed to find out exactly what was done.
I can't tell how the circuit was modified, but the Leoni modification is done as below.
Lights - with Switch Saver.png
The X'd out devices and wires need to be taken out to return the circuit to stock which is appropriate if you plan to install low wattage LED headlights.
Lights-Alt w-switch saver relays reconnect.png
You want to end up with the circuit as it was originally.
Lights-Alt.png
Greg Bryan

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Amazing markups in center picture - thank you Greg - looks like my current installation has (4) relays for left / right low and hi beam.

Great road map you've shared!
Author / Photojournalist

gregg hake
356 Fan

#4 Post by gregg hake »

Looks like that relay is mounted on a lava flow !

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Usually what was done, and the only thing, which is effective, is to shorten the path from battery to light. The original headlight wires become relay coil energizing, and a battery + wire runs directly from the battery through the relays to the headlights, usually sans fuse. Easy enough to remove the relays and their power source and reconnect the headlight wires back to the headlights. With LED headlights this is now feasible. :D

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

I would not be as optimistic as you are Harlan! The first thing that is obvious is that the headlights are not fused. If something happens it will melt the wires to the Headlights. Because of the way it is wired you can probably replace the wiring without having to replace the front part of the wiring loom. FIX IT NOW!!!
Wiring that was planned 30+++years ago with older electronics should be carefully evaluated to make sure that the parts of the system are functioning properly.
Once again I am going to touch again on converting 356 vehicles to 12 Volts with an alternator. Our rebuilder is unable to acquire armatures for the 6 volt and 12 volt generators. I have mentioned that this is a forthcoming situation...now we are at that point.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Al - if you take a moment to enlarge image you’ll see (2) cigar style fuse housings that contain fuses.

All of this is going away and back to stock as Greg explain s in post #2 and I’ll be adding g LEDs from Jules D.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Author / Photojournalist