Parts for 356C VDO gauges - tach and speedo

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adrian Safciuc
356 Fan

Parts for 356C VDO gauges - tach and speedo

#1 Post by Adrian Safciuc »

I am once again looking for help in this group to find some 'rare' parts.

The situation - I am currently restoring my instrument cluster as part of my 356C full rebuild - the three main gauges, we can even leave the clock out of the discussion for now. The gauges aren't in their best condition but functional - I've tested them and they work just fine, but look quite poorly.

So I have started the disassembly and cleaning process to figure out what parts I need. Glass needs cleaning, chrome bezels probably need replacing and as part of the disassembly process I realized there are some other rubbers that need changing also. Not to mention my tachometer has the wrong needle and no needle cap (seems it came out of a 930 I was told). I contemplated also getting a fresh set of dials as part of the freshening up.

The problem - I cannot find ANY spare parts for these VDO gauges and the speedo shops are not willing to sell any of theirs. I contacted both North Hollywood, Palo Alto Speedo and some European vendors. None are willing to sell parts and only want to take the work on as a full clean-up and repair, with estimates ranging between $3500 to $5000. The references are impeccable for places like NHS and PAS and I am sure they would do a stellar job but this is serious cash - there are many many other priorities for the build not to mention the gauges are functional. Nor do I feel great about the idea of buying a tachometer or speedo off eBay so I can scavenge one part off it (the needle) - also seems like a poor solution. Otherwise, I could not find any such parts on the open web (Google, eBay, Samba, etc).

So last chance is to check with you good people, in case you may have some of the following lying around your workshop. Of course, very happy to pay a fair price for these parts and throw in some beverage of your choice. In order of importance:
1. Rubbers (internal and case perimeter) for tachometer or speedometer - all of mine have hardened up past the point of trying to rehydrate them
2. A correct 356 needle + silver needle cap
3. A tach dial with line marking for an SC (3000 - 5000 white line, 5000 - 5500 red line)
4. A good condition speedo dial

Here is a picture of my poor little tach before I had the chance to clean the glass. Yes, it's got an S90 dial and yes, it's missing a screw (found inside the case eventually) and yes, it's got a 930 needle.

I would be grateful for any help/guidance in trying to find these VDO gauges parts.

Adrian
Attachments
IMG_5580.jpg
1964 356C Coupe (Euro spec) - going for a lightweight concept mild outlaw

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Parts for 356C VDO gauges - tach and speedo

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

Glwt, those will be hard to find, most of us would just send them in when they are bad. The old parts get tossed in the dumpster I would think.
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

The only help I can offer is that the rubber ring around the outside is available from stoddard, as are the bezels.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adrian Safciuc
356 Fan

#4 Post by Adrian Safciuc »

Jules, I appreciate I am basically looking for unicorn poo. But the 356 community is pretty special, so it is worth asking. Case in point - I received a message earlier about a German supplier (Heiler Tachodesign) who may be able to help with the dials, so we are getting closer...

Martin - I had bought new bezels from Stoddard for my gauges but missed the fact they sell the rubber as well - thanks for pointing that out. One step closer again.

Adrian
1964 356C Coupe (Euro spec) - going for a lightweight concept mild outlaw