A dilemma on combo gauge

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Maurizio Santini
356 Fan

A dilemma on combo gauge

#1 Post by Maurizio Santini »

I need to have my instruments serviced, the combo has TANK and OIL written on it, my 356 was built at the end of 1963, it is a car sold in Germany and I would like to bring it back to original.
Who will restores my instruments here (EU) says that the inscriptions should be in German KRAFSTOFF and OEL-TEMP, but it seems to me that this "localisation" inscription from B onwards and so in my C has no longer been done.

I just want not to have a face dial in german if was not intended to be as is in origin.

The fact I can’t find any used nor NOS gauge in selling anywhere (also in EU) for C with german scripts made me wondering if at certain point all were produced only in “international” english only.

An expert would be needed here or at least simply the page of the user and maintenance manual in German of the C, do you know someone who could have it and give us a photo of the page where there are the images of the gauges?

I hope I explained myself.

Best wishes, Mau

I attach my combo gauge and a photo provided of the hypothetical native german version, B type to me, not C
Attachments
combo C in international english.jpg
combo C in international english.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 367 times
combo B in german.jpg
combo B in german.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 367 times

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: A dilemma on combo gauge

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hi Mau,

The lower one was for T1 home.market only. Note the larger button
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jules, were all gauges after a certain year/model in English only? I've suggested to Mau that the face could be changed to kph but that might not be correct for his car.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

t2 and later were all english / universal. They briefly tried with "gasolin" in 1957 until they figured out 'Tank' did the trick as well🤣
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Maurizio Santini
356 Fan

#5 Post by Maurizio Santini »

Thank you Jules, dilemma solved and happy to know I can so service my combo gauge