Brake line flares

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

Re: Brake line flares

#16 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:06 am I think just the smallest hole in that tool is for brake lines, that one is square shouldered as it should be.
What are the other ones for?
Patrick Ertel

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

I don’t think any of those other holes are for anything on a 356.
To clean up a few prior posts about flares, DIN and ISO are the same thing, not two different things as stated. I think different manufacturers make their bubble flares a bit differently but they are pretty forgiving. The kind that Jon Bunin mentioned that has a tapered backside instead of 90 degrees is called a SAE bubble flare, unlikely that Porsche would have used that. Searching online it almost seems like nobody used that one including Americans.
An interesting aside, Moss Motors makes a Universal Flare for British cars that they say seals on four different types of fittings including double flare. They say none of their customers are able to correctly identify what they have so this was the solution. I wouldn’t have talked about my customers like that even if it was true.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jon Bunin »

Patrick Ertel wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:07 pm
Martin Benade wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:06 am I think just the smallest hole in that tool is for brake lines, that one is square shouldered as it should be.
What are the other ones for?
Porsche apparently chose to distribute an existing metric flaring tool, rather than have to design and produce a Porsche-specific version.
In this case, only the smallest vise hole and smallest flaring punch will work on 5mm brake line.
Jon Bunin

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

#19 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:33 pm
To clean up a few prior posts about flares, DIN and ISO are the same thing, not two different things as stated.
I don't mean to be argumentative over something so trivial, but I believe my statement is correct.

"The one that looks like a bubble is an ISO Bubble Brake Flare used in older European cars
The flatter one is a DIN Mushroom flare use on Asian cars and modern US and European cars."

The ISO is an older standard and has been replaced by the DIN standard. The two are interchangeable, but not identical.
Patrick Ertel

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

Can you find the description of it? I looked at multiple brake line manufacturer’s i.d. charts and they all called the bubble one “iso/din” with no differentiation.
All I know is from Google so I cannot claim to be an expert
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna