Restoring fuel tank sender

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Turino
356 Fan

Restoring fuel tank sender

#1 Post by Steve Turino »

I am wondering what the the best way to remove the rust and keep rust off of the affected parts of my original VDO sender. The unit was working fine when I removed it to send the tank out to Moyer's Gas Tank Renu, so my hope is it will work again when I reinstall it in the soon to be back fuel tank. The top side I can clean up with fine scotch brite, but my goal on the rusty in the tank parts is to remove the rust without harming the fairly fragile unit and coat it with some gasoline tolerant coating to keep rust off. Any tips appreciated.
Steve T.
IMG_0779(1).JPG
IMG_0778(1).JPG
IMG_0781(1).JPG
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Restoring fuel tank sender

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'd remove the cover plate and float arm and soak them in Evaporust. I'd be concerned about what the inside of the sender looks like.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

As long as the wiper stays in contact to the fine-wire coil end-to-end, it should be OK.
Usual wear occurs on the tip of the wiper and it'll need a little reshaping to stay in contact.
Remove the rust from the cover and hope the pivot shaft isn't sloppy in its body which causes
the wiper to lose contact @ the ends. Also, re-flatten the plate/face to prevent gasket leaks.
(I do it in a vice)

BTW, make sure to remove existing 'crustyness' from the wiper end in the slot of the body.

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Turino »

Thanks for the tips guys
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S