Does anyone out there like their (356) bra?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Long
356 Fan

Does anyone out there like their (356) bra?

#1 Post by Greg Long »

I’ve read forever that there are bra haters out there— that they do more damage than good? Are there any owners with great experiences?

I’ve got a nice expensive paint job and don’t like the film covers because of the ugly ‘line’. I plan a lot of highway adventures so would love to live a bra.

Appreciate hearing about your experiences…

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Does anyone out there like their (356) bra?

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Years ago I crossed the country and back with a Colgan bra on my B, it didn’t do any damage. Now I have another one and a far nicer car, but I might not bother with it if I take a trip. It’s just a car.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Glen Getchell »

Bra's are a double edged sword. #1 Bra's work, and rarely cause damage in my experience. However with that said there is one thing that you can do with a bra that will absolutely cause damage. Never leave a wet bra on your car. In fact I would go so far as to say "never" have a wet bra on your car period. If your driving and hit a rain storm, pull over, get wet, and take the bra off and throw it in the trunk.

Now my opinion of a bra specifically relating to the 356. I found after years of using it that I eventually stopped using it and I have paid a price with chipped paint. But the Bra is just to big of pain. #1 a Bra blocks much of the 356 interior air flow system (Defrosters, etc...). #2 356 Bra almost always flap and flutter over the hood which is unnerving for those worried about their paint which of course is everybody using a bra. #3 on all but a T6 you have to at least partially remove it every time you get gas (again a pain). #4 They are ugly. I got sick of seeing pictures of my car at events all covered up. #5 They take up space when you take it off during a long drive or event. And its even worse when its soaking wet.

The bottom line, the main reason I stopped using one on my C is the air flow issue. We drive our car long distances in all kinds of weather, and with no electric fan, it is imperative that you have air to the ram inlets in the trunk. In my experience the Bra blocks that air flow.

So I am not a hater. I used one for many thousands of miles with a hell of a lot less chips than I have now, but it was just to much hassle. I never had a bra damage paint with the exception of a bra I left wet on a Toyota Supra. In the end I say let the puppy breath, but I would not worry about the bra causing significant damage if kept clean.

Glen
64Cx2

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

The only air inlet on a T6 is in front of the windshield. What kind of bra do you use?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by Mark Roth »

I have used a Colgan bra on my black car for 20+ years. I ordered it without the cutouts for driving lights. Yes, it hides the beauty of the shape when parked. I take it off for events and photos. Rock chips are too apparent on a black car for my taste.

I understand that it shouldn’t be left on the car wet but I have gone through rainstorms many times with no problem. The problem is that if left on wet, it might affect the paint. Just take it off after the drive and let it dry out.

I do two things to mitigate damage. One, I put a thick felt 2 x 10 inch strip over the top of each fender under the elastic strap across the top to keep the bra from rubbing the paint. Works. I also put the “Das Keepsitfromflappink Bra Accessory” on the hood chrome strip. viewtopic.php?p=299420&hilit=Bra#p299420. That does what it says.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

I attach a Colgan bra to my car when I go on extended trips as most of that driving is on freeways where the likelihood of stone chips is great. Just make sure that the bra fits well and tight so it doesn't flap in the wind. Some people will use blue painters tape where the bra attaches and touches the car.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

I bought one many years ago thinking it'd be useful on longer drives. Anyone interested in buying a like-new, never-used Colgan bra for their 356?
Last edited by Bruce Smith on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Smith

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

I never cared for them either. I can touch up minor chips in the paint. A car without any small chips indicates to me that the car doesn't get driven much. (And why does the refrain, "He's a lumberjack and he's OK..." keep running through my brain as I read these?)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jay Darlington »

I'm going to have a clear bra applied to my 356A. it will probably go from the rear of the front fenders forward and just ahead of the windshield seal and the complete hood. another words the complete front of the car. I have also thought about doing just the hood and up to the center of the wheel opening. cheaper but there will be a slight line across the fender barley noticeable. if done by a pro its nearly invisible and easily removeable if wanted. its relatively expensive but if you own a 356 maybe not?
Jay D.
jay darlington

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#10 Post by Tom Keating »

I have used one of these bra's for about 40 years. Ran one on my speedster & now my 64 coupe. The one time I left it off-gouge in hood from a rock!
Attachments
IMG_2898.JPG
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Tim Dawson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tim Dawson »

I'm a hater - They look horrible and completely ruin the lines of the car. Don't drive close to the car in front and put up with the odd stone chip. A few stone chips indicate that the car has a 'life'.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Wes Bender wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:53 pm I never cared for them either. I can touch up minor chips in the paint. A car without any small chips indicates to me that the car doesn't get driven much. (And why does the refrain, "He's a lumberjack and he's OK..." keep running through my brain as I read these?)
I am hoping it is because you shop on Wednesdays rather than what you wear hanging out in bars Wes.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#13 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Jay
What type of clear bra are you using that is advertised as easy to remove?
I had an estimate from a detail shop to remove a 7 year old bra on an outside parked older car for $400-500. The edge across the hood had peeled back about 1/8 inch and the bra surface was showing some age. They said it is very labor intensive to do correctly and not harm the paint.
No thanks since I was selling the car.
Maybe a fresher install is easier to remove.

I would just like a clear roll of material that is easy off to protect against bugs on my Midwest road trips. 😁
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#14 Post by Jim Clement »

I am with Tim above.. sorry to say.. I just drive it, and yes, sometimes I get bugs or chips..

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#15 Post by Graeme Langford »

Greg Long wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:43 am I’ve read forever that there are bra haters out there— that they do more damage than good? Are there any owners with great experiences?

I’ve got a nice expensive paint job and don’t like the film covers because of the ugly ‘line’. I plan a lot of highway adventures so would love to live a bra.

Appreciate hearing about your experiences…
Have a proper company install a good quality paint protection film.
If done properly you will never know it is on there.
I have never filmed any of my cars but a 2.4S I bought from the US had been protected.
The guy I bought it from did not mention it and I only noticed it because of the join line behind the overriders.
1958 356A
1967 911S