Optima Red Top 6V battery purchase leads.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Well my Red Top Optima 6V seems to be on it's last legs after several years.
Just got sticker shock on their costs in 2022. But everything has gone up in price right?
Seems to be talking longer to crank to start the car. Been on a tickler charger for ever.
Anyone got a lead on a good seller for a decent price other then full boat retail?
Pep Boys has them I think for like $189 who know about shipping costs.
This winter doing some maintenance and other tasks so trying to save a bit of $ for the holidays.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Optima Red Top 6V battery purchase leads.

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

If it’s able to crank longer and at a normal speed maybe it’s not a battery issue. Could it need a tuneup? A failing battery usually can’t crank very long.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

A trickle charger may not be charging it completely. Put it on a 2-6A charger for a good long time (i.e. a day or more). You might be surprised. I've resurrected a few used Optimax batteries that had been left for dead.
Bruce Smith

Al Zim
356 Fan

#4 Post by Al Zim »

Be thankful that you have located the Optima Battery. If they are packed correctly they will ship correctly. Everyone selling batteries knows the cost and retail price. I would suggest to you if you can purchase one to do so. Nothing is ever going to be cheaper on a limited production car again. The demand for these cars is acute.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thanks for chiming in everyone.
The battery is showing about 6.4 volts so it seems there still is some life in it.
I do have some other questions so please feel free to comment.
I have pretty accurate records of dates and mileage when parts were replaced and i am curious to know about how long I should expect these parts to last.
This car shows just under 99000 miles on 11/21/22 for what that is worth.
Generator brushes new were installed 12/28/91 and a new generator was installed 9/10/95.
New starter was installed 3/11/89 at 59750 miles.
Car started right up today at ignition key and at rear with button start. Holds a good idle. Off and on a few times each way car started right up.
Battery I think is pushing ten years old....
This is a good reliable sorted car just wondering about parts expectations etc when it comes to servicing and maintenance.
Thank you,
Steve
'58 Speedster
#84832.
Family owned since 2/10/74.
'66 912 Engine.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

Steve, do a load check on the battery, that should tell you how 'fresh' it really is. Even with an inferior cell it will still charge to over 6v, it just won't have the cranking power.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#7 Post by Al Zim »

Aa generator rebuild 30 years ago.....How lucky you are that it is still working. Because new armatures are in short supply as are the shops that can rebuild the generator. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce Smith »

Steve - Measuring voltage isn't enough, you need to test it under load. A load tester like this is good to own:

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6 ... nlEALw_wcB
Bruce Smith

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I visited the Batteries Plus store to get some button batteries last week and asked about availability of the 6 volt group 19L lead acid battery for the 356. The sales person stated that East Penn was the only US manufacturer for this battery and that they sold the relabeled Duracell for $197 with exchange.

I know that Tractor Supply has the group 1 six volt battery with 700 CCA which sells locally for $120 with exchange but its dimensions are a little bit taller not allowing the use of my car's battery cover.

3 or 4 years ago the owner of Antigravity Lithium Batteries was considering the manufacture of a 6 volt lithium battery for the 356 and other classic cars. I do see they make a motorcycle battery with 240 CCA which could be connected in parallel for 480 CCA. At $400 this is a spendy solution but has the potential advantage of a 10 year life, or more, and one may not need a battery charger/maintainer.

https://www.speedaddicts.com/motorcycle ... r-terminal

As supplies dwindle or disappear we may need to consider alternatives. Steve, the lead acid tractor battery combined with a good quality battery maintainer should give you about 6 to 8 years of reliable service.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT