Basics of heater function for my 64' c coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Parolini
356 Fan

Basics of heater function for my 64' c coupe

#1 Post by Jason Parolini »

I have yet to drive my 64' 356 c coupe for any substantial distance in below freezing temps. Today it is down to 27 degrees and I am thinking about taking the ole' car for a ride. How well does (or should) the heater work in my car? I have read the 356c drivers manual and am to understand that the heater is operated by the lever in front of the stick shift, the sliding vent on the side wall next to the forward edge of the seat and the ventilation switch above the clock on the dash. Any basic instructions or insights on how they all work in concert together to heat the cockpit of my car would be much appreciated. Thank you

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Basics of heater function for my 64' c coupe

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Open a rear quarter window so air can circulate.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

And move the fresh air lever on the dash to closed, open both slide valves near the floor and pull the heat lever all the way back. Regulate the temp with the heat lever. If no heat, you've got adjustment issues or some missing parts.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

The dash lever also directs the hot air. Check your owners manual for details.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Mike the dash lever only controls fresh air per the 356C owners manual but there is a section under BN-4 heater that includes use of the lever for directing heat. And Vic is correct that if you crack the rear vent window a lot more heat enters the cabin. Pages 44 and 45 of the C manual. When I dailied my 356s April to October or November in Michigan I used the heat a lot of mornings and evenings.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the correction , Doug. Pics from the C owners manual.

Mike
Attachments
CD939E9D-9130-4613-ABF1-08BD2D889B2C.jpeg
5DFD1A64-67A6-4359-8936-453786351E05.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Are the non-BN4 instructions really correct? The defroster vents can only be supplied fresh cool air, never engine heat? They are connected together. Or does the outside air have more pressure and wins out over the engine air?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Since the dash levers only control the fresh air intakes, I can't see how hot air could be introduced to defrost the front windshield. I admit, I have no idea how the rear defroster works either. Perhaps the front defroster works by circulating warm air from the cabin?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

It is not a complex system. If your heater is on then some hot air goes to the rear defroster via a small pipe but most goes forward to the defroster-unless you open the slides so it can come into the cabin. Even with the slides open some still goes to front defroster and rear defroster in lesser amounts than when the slides are closed. Imagine a pipe with three outlets, one of which can be blocked ( side slides). Since none of the closings seal perfectly you SoCal folks remove your heater hoses, at least some of you, in the summer.Here is a picture from Tom Perazzo's thread showing how heat gets from the heater tube to the rear defroster via a small tube that comes off viewtopic.php?t=20893
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the explanation, Doug. I don't think I've ever even activated the heater in my car. I have unhooked the heater hoses and directed them to the front to force more air into the car.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jason Parolini »

Ok. I read everything in the manual as pictured above. A few follow up questions. Where does the heat actually come into the cockpit? Where is the "vent" located. Should I be able to feel warm or hot air at that location if I put my hand there?

Let me be more specific in my questions...

What position should the items listed below be in for maximum heat?

1 - the lever in front of the stick shift (pushed forward toward the front of the car or pulled back as close to the stick shift as possible?)

2 - the sliding vent on the side wall next to the forward edge of the seat (pushed forward or pulled back towards the rear of the vehicle?)

3 - the ventilation switch above the clock on the dash (set to the left (driver side) or the right (passenger side)??

Thanks

Jason Parolini

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1. up for heat on 2. vent cover pushed to rear open heat to feet ( Small puppy breathing on your ankle) 3. off towards driver. Rarely when you pull up on the control lever it will not stay fully up. This can be do to bolt not tight enough or friction discs worn but don't worry about this if the lever stays up. If not more info and diagram on the discs here: viewtopic.php?t=42239&hilit=heater+control&start=15 Feel free to PM me if needed Jason It doesn't get Michigan cold often where you are but I did drive through a winter snow storm down by you last year? or the year before on my way to Alabama to pick up a no salt rust free pickup for my son.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#13 Post by Wes Bender »

Jason Parolini wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:23 pm Ok. I read everything in the manual as pictured above. A few follow up questions. Where does the heat actually come into the cockpit? Where is the "vent" located. Should I be able to feel warm or hot air at that location if I put my hand there?

Let me be more specific in my questions...

What position should the items listed below be in for maximum heat?

1 - the lever in front of the stick shift (pushed forward toward the front of the car or pulled back as close to the stick shift as possible?)

2 - the sliding vent on the side wall next to the forward edge of the seat (pushed forward or pulled back towards the rear of the vehicle?)

3 - the ventilation switch above the clock on the dash (set to the left (driver side) or the right (passenger side)??

Thanks

Jason Parolini
Did you read my post (#3 above)?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"Did you read my post (#3 above)?"
Good question. Seems you answered him way back when.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bill Lawless »

You should also look under the engine of your car.. When the heat lever, in front of shifter, is pulled all the way back for "Heat On" the Flappers should be all the way closed. If not heat is just going out the back. There are several post on adjusting all this.
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350