Advice on a 356 Potential purchase

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
William Whited
356 Fan
Tag: Cars are my Vice

Advice on a 356 Potential purchase

#1 Post by William Whited »

I come to all of you because you all get it.
I have looked and considered 6 cars so far and everyone has had issues I don’t want to tackle. Examples bad paint, poor fit and finish, patched floor repaired over 26 years ago,
Long distance nerves, over spray, pitted trim, low compression, leaking oil, No serial number at all on an engine and some over priced cars in my humble opinion.
I posted some pics previously of a car 250 miles away from me that had an A/C system put in by 356West in Vegas, a professional install, but do I need air in a classic that never had it from the factory and even with a big bore kit, I’m not sure. It’s a matching number car that’s been sorted out but the owner only bought it last December and has no idea when it was painted last. We did face time and the battery box looks like it’s on its last legs so yes this one’s out. Sat I’m going to PA to look at an enthusiasts car that has owned his 62 B for twenty plus years has no bumpers second one I’m looking at like this but the gentleman does not have the original bumpers and that’s a $4000. Plus proposition at least. But the owner has another he races and states his car he will sell because of lack of use. He states it’s a # 2, painted in the early 2000’s, non matching number rebuilt 356 engine many years ago to super 90 specs but this one leaks some also. I know when I finally find I think to be the right one I’ll find a good 356 shop to complete a PPI. Any advice is welcomed. After my inspection on Saturday I’ll send you all some pics and a run down on this one, I really appreciate your opinion’s my price range is 65k to 85k tops.
Thanks

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: Advice on a 356 Potential purchase

#2 Post by Jim Liberty »

May I suggest you contact Dennis Frick, Europa Mecchina. He is in PA. A long time friend that you can trust. Don't buy a car without an expert doing a PPI. There are just too many hidden problems, unless you are well experienced with these cars. ..............Jim
Jim Liberty

William Whited
356 Fan

#3 Post by William Whited »

Thanks Jim
I’ll call Dennis in the am. The car is in chester springs pa. Not sure where Dennis is?
All the best to you,
Bill

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

Lewisberry
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

William Whited wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 pm Thanks Jim
I’ll call Dennis in the am. The car is in chester springs pa. Not sure where Dennis is?
All the best to you,
Bill
That's probably Chris Duerr's car, honest guy.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

William Whited
356 Fan

#6 Post by William Whited »

Yes it’s Chris’s car. Very nice guy looking forward to meeting him tomorrow.
All the best to you all,
Bill

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

+1 on Chris. He will be one of the honest guys you can deal with. Good luck, and keep us in the loop. ..............Jim.
Jim Liberty

William Whited
356 Fan

#8 Post by William Whited »

Will do

Chris Duerr
356 Fan

#9 Post by Chris Duerr »

Bill.
Please don't whole heartedly rely on Adam's and Jim's commentary on my character. They have terribly low standards and calls into question their own judgement of character!
Chris

William Whited
356 Fan

#10 Post by William Whited »

I wanted to share with all of you how I made out yesterday
First off Chris the owner is a 100 % honest man. He was kind enough to put his car up on jack stands so I could get a good look. Amazing original floor with no rust at all The battery box was repaired and looked good. A couple of patches in the wheel wells and an older paint finish from twenty years ago that’s holding up pretty well. Chris not only went over all the rebuilt items on the car but pointed out the few flaws
his car will make a great driver for someone. The 356 ran strong with plenty of low end torque and was real tight. So why did I pass on her, I prefer full bumpers and guards and a not GT interior with the flip up back jump seats in place
Also if I’m going to spend 80k or more I think in the long run I’m better off with a matching number 356.

William Whited
356 Fan

#11 Post by William Whited »

By the way Chris’s car is for sale on The Samba site if your in the market please check it out, it’s a good one.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

You don’t think maybe a great car from a known seller makes it worth adding what it lacks? Another car might have body or mechanical surprises that cost a lot more.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

An $80K purchase of any old car should be taken seriously. Especially a 356. The entire unibody is a nightmare to repair, and the costliest to get right. I've spent $80K on metal work and paint alone. Continue with your search and do-diligence. Pass your findings along, and this gang, and we will (Try) to keep you out of trouble. Although Chris thinks my standards are low, I think his are high. .............Jim.
Jim Liberty

William Whited
356 Fan

#14 Post by William Whited »

Ok here is another question I’ll throw out there
Anyone have experience with the 356 West aftermarket A/C installed in a 356? Anyone own a 356 with this set up? I stumbled on a 63 B for sale that had this installed on a base 60 motor this year, of course up graded to 12 volt with a new 12 volt alternator with 65 amp service and new webers and All AC wiring done with relays vs loading switches. This particular car sold on BAT December of 2021 that was not used very much and owned for 38 years. Current Seller moving out of the country and needs to sell his car. Engine was leaking had new seals done, new Koni shocks and tires and a few other upgrades. Seller asking 87,500. I have not looked at this car as yet but reading the BAT auction I believe the body has some bubbling showing up in a few areas. Thoughts on this one before I take the four hour drive each way to look it over
As always thanks for looking out for me.
Bill
Last edited by William Whited on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#15 Post by Adam Wright »

William Whited wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:57 pm Ok here is another question I’ll through out there
Anyone have experience with the 356 West aftermarket A/C installed in a 356? Anyone own a 356 with this set up? I stumbled on a 63 B for sale that had this installed on a base 60 motor this year, of course up graded to 12 volt with a new 12 volt alternator with 65 amp service and new webers and All AC wiring done with relays vs loading switches. This particular car sold on BAT December of 2021 that was not used very much and owned for 38 years. Current Seller moving out of the country and needs to sell his car. Engine was leaking had new seals done, new Koni shocks and tires and a few other upgrades. Seller asking 87,500. I have not looked at this car as yet but reading the BAT auction I believe the body has some bubbling showing up in a few areas. Thoughts on this one before I take the four hour drive each way to look it over
As always thanks for looking out for me.
Bill
How much did it sell on BAT for?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.